Von interview courtesy of Mr Andrews...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

a fabulous interview! great work by Mark Andrews, who we all know has been after a one-on-one with Eldritch for what must be years. i'm sure the fact that he didnt get it until after finishing 'Paint My Name...' had nothing to do with any contrariness in the nature of Our Glorious Leader... :innocent: :twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

Hapcibeno wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 05:41
Well, I also hate how the government treats gay people here (declaring marriage as a man/woman relation in our constitution etc), but I'm almost sure that "ban" has nothing to do with gay people or his comments against the regime.
A38 indeed have some connection to the state but I don't think anybody would be banned from there for such reasons.
I saw New Model Army just a few years back there, I remember Justin Sullivan made some comments ("f**k them!") against Orban and that gig was filmed and aired in the State TV, maybe they edited out that comment, but that's all. Nobody cared, NMA will play again at the ship next year...

I believe the "ban" must be related to their last terrible gig on the ship.
First of all, I'm an old fan, saw all of their Hungarian gigs in the last 30+ yrs and a couple of shows in neighbour countries but the last A38 one was def the worst of all. Sound was really bad, they had to interrupt the gig after the first song as Von was entirely inaudible (no, not just the usual mumble thingy). They sorted it out (more or less) but I saw lots of people leaving the venue. I wasn't so disappointed as I saw them several times and knew what to expect (very low volume etc) but my wife who came with me was also very upset. I saw hundreds of raging "give my money back" online comments after the gig and eventually the venue had to release an announcement (they said that they had no responsibility for the bad sound etc). So I remember I thought it would have been the last Sisters gig at the ship and it seems I was right. So I think A38 just don't want this to happen again...
I thought I could detect Blair era spin on this "ban" pronouncement. My bat senses also kicked in when you reminded me of NMA playing there as Mr Sullivan is certainly no shrinking violet and far more politically vocal on stage than Von.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Thanks Mark. Solid work.
Silver_Owl
The Don

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Good work.

Head On is a great film. I thought it would be right up his strasse.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
DasPerltAber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 11:11 a fabulous interview! great work by Mark Andrews, who we all know has been after a one-on-one with Eldritch for what must be years. i'm sure the fact that he didnt get it until after finishing 'Paint My Name...' had nothing to do with any contrariness in the nature of Our Glorious Leader... :innocent: :twisted:
A very entertaining read. As for Our Leader: Glorious, Fearless and Paramount! :von:
Wilkstein
Road Kill

By far the best thing I've read all year. That quote about regret was delightful and I loved the Steinman stories.
copper
Amphetamine Filth

We don’t decide on a set-list till about an hour before showtime. We intend to play three new songs every night. Different ones too... they’re going to get different new songs every night.
Two out of three with But Genevieve, I Will Call You and Black Sail.

Don't Drive on Ice, Andrew!
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

We don’t decide on a set-list till about an hour before showtime. We intend to play three new songs every night. Different ones too... they’re going to get different new songs every night.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Being645
Above the Chemist

Husek wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 23:30
... :lol: ... yeah, he's clearly an incurable dreamer ...
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

From the last interview with Ben, after having talked about Black Sail, one of the newest songs:

And we will be playing more new songs at the Roundhouse. Sisters songs generally fit into into three categories – moody, atmospheric, expansive numbers like Neverland or Something Fast; mid-paced rock numbers like Lucretia; and then the gung-ho punk numbers like Vision Thing. The new tracks fall into each of those categories.

So they undoubtedly had a plan to play completely new songs. Something (preferably) or someone (sadly more likely tbh) put an end to the plan.
czuczu
Overbomber

euphoria wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 08:32 From the last interview with Ben, after having talked about Black Sail, one of the newest songs:

And we will be playing more new songs at the Roundhouse. Sisters songs generally fit into into three categories – moody, atmospheric, expansive numbers like Neverland or Something Fast; mid-paced rock numbers like Lucretia; and then the gung-ho punk numbers like Vision Thing. The new tracks fall into each of those categories.

So they undoubtedly had a plan to play completely new songs. Something (preferably) or someone (sadly more likely tbh) put an end to the plan.
At least 2 of the shirts on sale had lyrics from unheard songs on, surprised they didn't give at least one more a try.

Better Reptile RIP?
Being645
Above the Chemist

euphoria wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 08:32 From the last interview with Ben, after having talked about Black Sail, one of the newest songs:

Yeah, heaven knows how this actually happened, esp. since they did play "Better Reptile" (dearly missed !!!) before and given the fact of the long list of new tracks on the website... :( ...
Todashi

Yeah, I'd say they probably realised that they have gigs planned for next year and if they played two or three brand new songs in London, with a big break before the next gigs in March 2022, they'd lose some of the momentum they're riding high on.

If they hang on to them and drip feed them out, they'll keep the fan base energised and engaged. Truthfully, they didn't need them this weekend. They played three storming gigs, with excellent sound, good vocals, good setlists and good crowd interaction. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

czuczu wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 09:01 At least 2 of the shirts on sale had lyrics from unheard songs on, surprised they didn't give at least one more a try.

Better Reptile RIP?
That's interesting, haven't read/seen that!
Being645 wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 09:04 Yeah, heaven knows how this actually happened, esp. since they did play "Better Reptile" (dearly missed !!!) before and given the fact of the long list of new tracks on the website... :( ...
Well I shouldn't be blaming Andrew before the reason is clarified, I don't really get why even he would so clearly declare something just a few days/weeks before and then wilfully disappoint (not comparable to Trump elected/new album before someone mentions that).

@both: About Better Reptile, wasn't that one scrapped already before the cut-off 2020 tour?

@Todashi interesting thought...but that's a simple reasoning they must have understood/considered already when the interviews took place, and more importantly - to me they have now lost momentum, not kept it up. But I so wish that you are right and we will see lots of new songs in spring. Sadly I remain very sceptical, though.
czuczu
Overbomber

euphoria wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 09:15
czuczu wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 09:01 At least 2 of the shirts on sale had lyrics from unheard songs on, surprised they didn't give at least one more a try.

Better Reptile RIP?
That's interesting, haven't read/seen that!
Being645 wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 09:04 Yeah, heaven knows how this actually happened, esp. since they did play "Better Reptile" (dearly missed !!!) before and given the fact of the long list of new tracks on the website... :( ...
Well I shouldn't be blaming Andrew before the reason is clarified, I don't really get why even he would so clearly declare something just a few days/weeks before and then wilfully disappoint (not comparable to Trump elected/new album before someone mentions that).

@both: About Better Reptile, wasn't that one scrapped already before the cut-off 2020 tour?

@Todashi interesting thought...but that's a simple reasoning they must have understood/considered already when the interviews took place, and more importantly - to me they have now lost momentum, not kept it up. But I so wish that you are right and we will see lots of new songs in spring. Sadly I remain very sceptical, though.
And when I stand and raise my hand
There is no god but where I am

from When I'm On Fire was on the orange logo shirt. The purple one also had something that I don't think has been published on the Live News page yet but can't remember what it was. A lot of size/shirt combinations were already sold out by the start of Sunday night.
Being645
Above the Chemist

euphoria wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 09:15 [...]
Just because they didn't play it during those four gigs?
Why should they? It's a great new song that was quite welcomed, IIRC.
And it's still on the website. Perhaps the lyrics still want some elaboration?
We can only guess ... *sigh
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I think you got duped, guys.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 09:58 I think you got duped, guys.
Most likely. Oh well, the dream was beautiful though, I'm just a bit grumpy today when I've just woken up but it will be ok :lol:
Good thing with spring tour is I can decide on which gigs to see after I've read about the first 2-3 ones.
XidiouX

I have a trick for smoking in hotel rooms. Go in the bathroom. Close the door, Run the shower hot until the bathroom is filled with steam. Have a cigarette. Leave the bathroom and close the door. The smoke particles merge with the steam droplets and condense. That takes most of the odour away. Do this each time you have a cigarette. When about to check out/have the room done, one more routine with the shower. Wait an hour. Spray a whole can of air freshener in the bathroom. Open and close the bathroom door maybe 50 times to dilute any remaining odour throughout the rest of the room. Job done. Must have done this over 20 times and never been caught.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

NOBODY i spoke to after any of the gigs was in the least bit surprised at the lack of 'new new new' songs... almost as if we never really expected it to be true. come on, most of us have been at this almost as long as Andrew! certainly the hardcore following have been members of this relationship far longer than Ben! and whatever disappointment there was it was nothing to the universal joy of what an utterly fabulous occasion this .as for ALL who attended, including the visually obvious enjoyment of Mr. Eldritch.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
mh
Above the Chemist

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 15:22 NOBODY i spoke to after any of the gigs was in the least bit surprised at the lack of 'new new new' songs... almost as if we never really expected it to be true. come on, most of us have been at this almost as long as Andrew! certainly the hardcore following have been members of this relationship far longer than Ben! and whatever disappointment there was it was nothing to the universal joy of what an utterly fabulous occasion this .as for ALL who attended, including the visually obvious enjoyment of Mr. Eldritch.
Listen to this man, he speaks wisdom. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Aye, save the bitching for school playgrounds or Cyberpunk 2077 forums, everyone there who I spoke to had a frikkin amazing time / gig / weekend. Nothing else matters, certainly not people not there banging on about whatever. If anyone feels like having a lil moan, go read the Cyberpunk forums, realise what a shower of up-themselves spoilt bellends they all sound, check yer head, and be at peace with the world. The weekend was pure energy from band and crowd, who cared what songs were played?
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Two points, two flats, and a packet of gravel for me please. Line the unbelievers up again for God's sake. At least I don't need a fake beard this time.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

... why you gotta be so undemanding :lol:

I'm sure everybody had a good time at the gigs, and I'm sure I would had too if I had the chance to go. But even me, from my beautiful Youtube bed, couldn't help but wonder what happened at least to the four newbies with lyrics on the website (which means finished and untouchable by Von's rules), even more so after Ben AND Von had announced that new new stuff would get played.

Oh well.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Fair enough, have to admit I'm more inclined to make demands of politicians than I am musicians. That's on me.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.