"Black Album" bootleg - Eldritch/Pearson demos

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

This item was mentioned in one of the Facebook groups. Has anyone heard it? Is it what it claims to be?

The Sisters Of Mercy ‎– The Black Album

Notes:
Side A features unreleased studio demos recorded by Andrew Eldritch and Adam Pearson 1999-2002. Side B includes four of the five tracks from Side A performed live.

Tracklist
Crash And Burn (Instrumental Demo)
Romeo Down (Instrumental Demo)
Top Night Out (Instrumental Demo)
Summer (Instrumental Demo)
Untitled (Instrumental Demo)
Crash And Burn (Live 2016)
Romeo Down (Live 2005)
Top Night Out (Live 2005)
Summer (Live 2017)

https://www.discogs.com/The-Sisters-Of- ... er/2238034
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

Must be fake.
Dan
Overbomber

Might be real, might be fake, the instrumentals could be made by one of the youtube 'remix' people.
I don't want instrumentals, I want the vocal version.
Oh and look... they've also made it available as 2 acetates so the people who care less about the music and more about collecting bits of plastic with the bands name on have something expensive to spaff their money on!
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Aren't there some soundcheck recordings of those numbers? Easy to pass off as an "instrumental demo".
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Being645
Above the Chemist

alanm wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 10:43 Aren't there some soundcheck recordings of those numbers? Easy to pass off as an "instrumental demo".
Yeah, I guess that's what it is. IIRC, they could all be found on YT.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

WHAT?!?!!!! Romeo... I.... I neeed...
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
LyanvisAberrant

Dan wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 14:38 Might be real, might be fake, the instrumentals could be made by one of the youtube 'remix' people.
Oh and look... they've also made it available as 2 acetates so the people who care less about the music and more about collecting bits of plastic with the bands name on have something expensive to spaff their money on!
I would happily live with the instrumentals if the man can't sing it.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 12:59
Dan wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 14:38 Might be real, might be fake, the instrumentals could be made by one of the youtube 'remix' people.
I would happily live with the instrumentals if the man can't sing it.
however we KNOW that there arre quality versions from when he could sing them, same as we had Suzanne. TSOM record every gig.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i stand by my best versions compilation which is mostly from the DAT recordings of the Blank Canvas & forum gigs in 2003. anyone wants a link give me a PM.*
The files are in .WAV and to clarify do not include any of the recent songs written since Dylan joined.

crash & burn
will i dream
summer
war on drugs
still
suzanne
slept
romeo down
arms
top nite out
come together

*only HLs of standing & reputation.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Dan
Overbomber

I'm hoping someone will put together a compilation of the best sounding versions of the new songs from the past couple of years.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Dan wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 01:06 I'm hoping someone will put together a compilation of the best sounding versions of the new songs from the past couple of years.
I have basically done this, as no doubt many who are OC about their mp3 collection have.
I can share but it's nothing more than downloaded mp3's from Youtube. Not super special sauce like EMWK's .dat's.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 13:36 i stand by my best versions compilation which is mostly from the DAT recordings of the Blank Canvas & forum gigs in 2003. anyone wants a link give me a PM.*
The files are in .WAV and to clarify do not include any of the recent songs written since Dylan joined.

crash & burn
will i dream
summer
war on drugs
still
suzanne
slept
romeo down
arms
top nite out
come together

*only HLs of standing & reputation.
HIGHLY recommended!
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 11:23
alanm wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 10:43 Aren't there some soundcheck recordings of those numbers? Easy to pass off as an "instrumental demo".
Haven’t looked for it… can you post any links for starters? :-)
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Jan wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 22:33
Being645 wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 11:23
Haven’t looked for it… can you post any links for starters? :-)
Well a search didn't produce any results. Maybe it's disapeared from YT (which can only be a good thing,
if every upload automatically belongs to Google/YT). There was a discussion about those tracks here in 2015 !!!
It's an alleged 18:19 min. "instrumental studio demo" with basically the Doktor playing also guitar tracks (partly)
1. Crash And Burn
2. Romeo Down
3. some deeply exciting track which is not Top Nite Out, can't tell what it is. Sounds clearly familiar, but still ...
4. Top Nite Out
5. Summer
LyanvisAberrant

Thank you so much for the info. That sounds really interesting and I hope very much to one day hear it
Being645
Above the Chemist

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 00:55 Thank you so much for the info. That sounds really interesting and I hope very much to one day hear it
https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... +1998+2000

set to "private" @YT, account deleted
Rise891

I have this. Sounds legit to me.
Christian

I'm pretty sure these tracks are not fake.

You should not get too excited though. As long as Von does not sing on these tracks (which he does not) it's not really SISTERS material, is it?
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Christian wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 09:47 I'm pretty sure these tracks are not fake.

You should not get too excited though. As long as Von does not sing on these tracks (which he does not) it's not really SISTERS material, is it?
I am also more thinking that this is not faked. But then, only Adam (or The Man Himself) could really confirm. An interesting chapter from the book called „What Could‘ve Been“ nevertheless.

If you look at the whole „Black Album“ thing, with the different editions, then you can tell that someone really put a lot of effort into it.
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Todashi

Tracked down those demos and yeah, I agree, they're far too polished to not be real. The drum sounds are a bit off, but my god, some of them sound really good.

Shame.
czuczu
Overbomber

If these are the same things that were on YT before then they don't sound anything like the band to me - they're just someone having fun in their bedroom. Everything is off - sample sounds, patterns, guitar tone, and playing style etc. Why would the band make their own demos so busy? Less is more is still their mantra..
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

Interesting find. One possibility is that they are Adam's demos that he presented to The Sisters. Top Nite Out sounds very much how it was performed but Summer sounds particularly embryonic.
Todashi

I gotta say, I'm playing these loud right now on a couple of Homepods and they sound like old friends. It's very nice to have.

I don't think they're fan made. It's possible I suppose. But a huge amount of work has gone into these. I know there are some oddball obsessives out there (ha, who am I kidding - they're in here with us) but I'd be quite surprised if these weren't something to do with the band.

As Suleiman said above, Top Night Out sounds spot on. Otherwise there are enough differences that it seems like someone wasn't trying to make exact copies of what they'd heard live or on bootlegs etc. It sounds like the other way around to me, that the bootlegs and live versions came from these tracks.
Christian

czuczu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 11:33 Why would the band make their own demos so busy?
Because these are no demos. It did not make sense to produce a demo 'cause there was no plan to releaase a record.

Just the material you'd show a band mate 8) - and/or the material you need to proof that the muscian is the copyright holder of the material.
czuczu
Overbomber

Christian wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 11:53
czuczu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 11:33 Why would the band make their own demos so busy?
Because these are no demos. It did not make sense to produce a demo 'cause there was no plan to releaase a record.

Just the material you'd show a band mate 8) - and/or the material you need to proof that the muscian is the copyright holder of the material.
The recordings that were shared here by HL members are better in every way, these (if they are the same tracks) have no provenance at all and just don't sound like the Sisters or professional musicians to me. They sound like someone playing with midi files and getting carried away which isn't exactly rocket science - very easily done. But I've no better idea than anyone else - just less trusting :lol: