No Covers in the new sets

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
ruffers
Overbomber

Remember how we used to chat about what covers we'd like?
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
sultan2075
Overbomber

You know, I’d been so excited about the new songs I hadn’t even noticed.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
mh
Above the Chemist

Still waiting for We Built This City On Rock & Roll.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

how about Giving Ground, it's technically a cover innit :innocent:
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Giving Ground has a "music&words: Eldritch" credit. In fact of the whole current set only Marian (Hussey/Eldritch) and More (Steinman/Eldritch) credit people who are not in the current lineup. And I think a couple of the gigs have skipped Marian too?

Not that I'm an expert on music rights but I imagine that if you were going to, say, record and release a live CD... having a set list with as few broadcast rights holders as possible would be good?
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

ruffers wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 21:27 Remember how we used to chat about what covers we'd like?
Covers? New songs? Play Adrenochrome ffs, you cnuts! And get a drummer whilst you're at it! Some bands, eh?

:P
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 21:27 Remember how we used to chat about what covers we'd like?
Yes, unfortunately. Especially 2010-2017 were the dark ages. I wasn't happy about the state of the band then, but I certainly am now :notworthy: :D
Husek

euphoria wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 16:19
Yes, unfortunately. Especially 2010-2017 were the dark ages. I wasn't happy about the state of the band then, but I certainly am now :notworthy: :D
Cmon, 2010-2017 is my favourite sisters era, we got to see Kiss the carpet, logic, floorshow, rock and a hard place, no time to cry, blood money, walk away, body and soul all back to the setlist, it can't get any better than that!

That said, I do love the current state of the band and all the new tunes, I don't like the fact that Arms and Still just vanished though, and considering that Far Parade is from the same time frame, and its bass line became another track, I'm afraid we ain't gonna hear this tune any time soon.

Anyhoo, I just wish we had longer gigs to support both tunes from the past and new ones, if memory serves me right, The Cure usually plays something between 26 and 30 tunes every gig, that sounds like a good number for the girls as well.
Project Personal Dok
mh
Above the Chemist

2010-17 was awful for new songs though. It was great to see the old songs back for sure, and great to see the odd unexpected surprise like Rain From Heaven, and I really enjoyed the mad year when they worked their way through Surf instrumentals, but new songs? With hindsight, the band was effectively a legacy act then.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
czuczu
Overbomber

2010 was literally the year everyone agreed the band had turned a corner after years of moaning about poor sound and dull sets, make your minds up! :lol:
Being645
Above the Chemist

czuczu wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 18:54 2010 was literally the year everyone agreed the band had turned a corner after years of moaning about poor sound and dull sets, make your minds up! :lol:
Absolutely agree ... from that time on, they did - year by year - a lot to improve whatever could be improved ... and now we have ... the full result ... ;D ;D ;D ...
ruffers
Overbomber

Covers were an intrisic part of the band from way back when though, Gimme Shelter, 1969, Emma, Jolene etc. There's a certain if different creativity to them.
Anyway, I enjoy the odd one.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Pista
Cureboi

ruffers wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 13:47 Covers were an intrisic part of the band from way back when though, Gimme Shelter, 1969, Emma, Jolene etc. There's a certain if different creativity to them.
Anyway, I enjoy the odd one.
I was thinking the same. Is this the first tour where they haven't lobbed a random cover in the set?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
czuczu
Overbomber

They went through that period of instrumental covers while exhuming their own back catalogue which was welcome at the time but also an obvious fag break for the boss.
I thought the covers peaked in 2001, they all seemed to have a connection to the band ethos and the pre-90s covers philosophy. Nothing they've covered since then has been as juicy for me.
Feels like the wrong time for a new cover if it's all about the new songs.
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

alanm wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 15:36 Giving Ground has a "music&words: Eldritch" credit.
_Paint My Name in Black And Gold_ reveals that Boyd Steemson wrote the lyrics, to rush out a single release while Von was in Germany
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
mh
Above the Chemist

H. Blackrose wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 04:17
alanm wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 15:36 Giving Ground has a "music&words: Eldritch" credit.
_Paint My Name in Black And Gold_ reveals that Boyd Steemson wrote the lyrics, to rush out a single release while Von was in Germany
The Sisters website even hinted at that in it's FAQ pages:
The "Authorised Version" of 'Giving Ground' is Andrew's original version, and the "Revised Standard Version" is the version developed by colleagues at Merciful Release and subsequently adopted as the standard version.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

alanm wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 15:36 Giving Ground has a "music&words: Eldritch" credit. In fact of the whole current set only Marian (Hussey/Eldritch) and More (Steinman/Eldritch) credit people who are not in the current lineup. And I think a couple of the gigs have skipped Marian too?

Not that I'm an expert on music rights but I imagine that if you were going to, say, record and release a live CD... having a set list with as few broadcast rights holders as possible would be good?
That's not really how it goes, giving ground was recorded by band called the sisterhood, while rest are by TSOM, line-up has nothing to do with this.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Bartek wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 09:39 That's not really how it goes, giving ground was recorded by band called the sisterhood, while rest are by TSOM, line-up has nothing to do with this.
The recording copyright, sure. But the composition copyright is separate from that. Both attract royalties.

https://assets.website-files.com/6054f2 ... X7RJo_.png

IANAL and not in the music industry, so y'know take this armchair internet chinwagging with a pillar of salt.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

You musi be a lawyer or philisopher (at least the second profession can be usefull and positive for society), so you want devel into such details.
Being645
Above the Chemist

alanm wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 12:20 The recording copyright, sure. But the composition copyright is separate from that. Both attract royalties.

https://assets.website-files.com/6054f2 ... X7RJo_.png

IANAL and not in the music industry, so y'know take this armchair internet chinwagging with a pillar of salt.
Oh, thank you for posting the link to that cool graph ... :D :notworthy: ...

badge
Road Kill

It is crazy that now when an unfamilar song starts, there is no longer the titlted heads to try figure out what the cover isor a post gig race identify the original. It is now just assumed that anything you don't immediately recognise is new... In the lull after Arms was premiered in 2009 and Dylan joining, such a thing never seemed possible and how I hung on the crumbs of a cover. Respectful nod towards 'The Gift That Shines', 'That's When I Reach For My Revolver' and 'I'm A Police Car', wide berth for John I'm Only Dancing!
ASPERUM AESTIMARE FIMI ALIQUID HODIE
czuczu
Overbomber

I forgot Gift That Shines, that was a goodie :)
Husek

badge wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 16:48 It is crazy that now when an unfamilar song starts, there is no longer the titlted heads to try figure out what the cover isor a post gig race identify the original. It is now just assumed that anything you don't immediately recognise is new... In the lull after Arms was premiered in 2009 and Dylan joining, such a thing never seemed possible and how I hung on the crumbs of a cover. Respectful nod towards 'The Gift That Shines', 'That's When I Reach For My Revolver' and 'I'm A Police Car', wide berth for John I'm Only Dancing!
Roadrunner (+ sister ray) and Wichita Lineman were solid too.
Project Personal Dok
Being645
Above the Chemist

Husek wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 17:29
Absolutely. I loved them. And anyway, The Sisters of Mercy never played all that many covers ... a few during each phase ...
Let me know, if I missed one ... :) ...
https://sisterswiki.org/Category:Covers
badge
Road Kill

Husek wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 17:29
badge wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 16:48 It is crazy that now when an unfamilar song starts, there is no longer the titlted heads to try figure out what the cover isor a post gig race identify the original. It is now just assumed that anything you don't immediately recognise is new... In the lull after Arms was premiered in 2009 and Dylan joining, such a thing never seemed possible and how I hung on the crumbs of a cover. Respectful nod towards 'The Gift That Shines', 'That's When I Reach For My Revolver' and 'I'm A Police Car', wide berth for John I'm Only Dancing!
I never knew about Wichita Lineman! Dyiove that song so much but my fav version has always been by BEF with Glen Gregory but I have to wrap my ears around The Sisters version now
ASPERUM AESTIMARE FIMI ALIQUID HODIE