Some Kind Of Demos

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Todashi wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 17:24 An entire album of other people's work uploaded to commercial platforms, complete with copyright statements feels entirely different. If I was Von, I'd have a strong opinion about this. Personally, I'd be surprised if Tobias doesn't hear from him or someone close to him in the next 24 hours. If he hasn't already.
This.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Wilkstein wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 04:41
Nonesuch wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 18:30 Although the fact that these are on Apple Music with the same 'official' credits is confusing to say the least!

Has this actually been authorised?!
Of course it hasn't been authorised.
FMAMMY wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 06:56 I haven't asked the band but I asked Record union's customer service this:
As far as releasing a cover version online it has been 'authorised'.

As long as you've obtained a license to a release cover version everything is legit. You have to include the song publishing information so that any royalties can be paid to the songwriters and publishers. (This is as far as I understand it.) And like @FMAMMY says there are sites that sort all that out for you.

Some people here like to get the pitchforks out at the drop of a wide brimmed hat, I thought this place was meant to be some kind of Heartland family?

We don't know what Eldritch and Co. think about this, I'm guessing there could be problems, but @FMAMMY is obviously fully aware of that. Let's give him a bit of credit for making the effort to record all this - it's not like he's flogging bootleg CDs down the market!
Nonesuch
Road Kill

road_kill wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 21:28 Tonight Matthew I'm going to be a c**t.
Really?
Being645
Above the Chemist

Well, one has to respect the load of effort and work you put into this, FMAMMY, and obviously, you love the band and the music but still, it leaves some bad taste with me ... what are we doing in a world where "cultural appropriation" is a regular topic of discussion ... and what would we call this then?

I think you should have asked the band, and if only out of respect, instead of asking legal advice from some platform customer services. And yes, I believe that for you it's not about the money, but surely it's not about love, either. Or is it? Why release an album if there is one out there, already? You've just delivered :von: one more good reason not to do so ... *sigh... :( :( :( ... though hell, The Sisters love their pesky fans, so there's still hope that not too much damage has been done ... :wink: ...
Last edited by Being645 on 28 Jun 2022, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

cultural appropriation?

damage?

You need to go and see the band down the Dog and Duck on a Friday night, and get hold of the lawyers for The Killers and Kings of Leon!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nonesuch wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:15 cultural appropriation?

damage?

You need to go and see the band down the Dog and Duck on a Friday night, and get hold of the lawyers for The Killers and Kings of Leon!
:?: ... err, dog, duck, lawyers? Don't know what you're referring to, at least not to my post, obviously.

And err, ever heard of "cultural appropriation" at all? Well, I confess, I used it as a sort of metaphor for a certain concept of maybe taking too much without asking (with allegedly all good intentions of some kind). No need to p*ss about in the house. I could have chosen "rape" instead, but I didn't for after all, it's all legal, apparently. And the rest is a matter of taste.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Being645 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:34

damage?

:?: ... err, dog, duck, lawyers? Don't know what you're referring to, at least not to my post, obviously.

And err, ever heard of "cultural appropriation" at all? Well, I confess, I used it as a sort of metaphor for a certain concept of maybe taking too much without asking (with allegedly all good intentions of some kind). No need to p*ss about in the house. I could have chosen "rape" instead, but I didn't for after all, it's all legal, apparently. And the rest is a matter of taste.
Yes I understood what you meant by 'cultural appropriation', and I apologise for my overly English sarcastic references.

Probably best you didn't use the word 'rape'.
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:05 ... what are we doing in a world where "cultural appropriation" is a regular topic of discussion ... and what would we call this then?

Erm, have you seen Sisters the last 10 years?

3 things.

1. Good work! I really enjoy listening to these and I think you did a great work.

2. If the band has a problem with this there is a very, very simple solution.
Do I have to say it?
Make an album.

3. No one makes money of Spotify/YouTube/etc/etc and you can pretty much put up whatever you want. There is not much any artist can do about it. And if the problem is that the songs are not done, then I am not really sure why we are allowed to film them and post them on You Tube. And come on, we all know they are never gonna get more ready than this. Von will soon be bored of being this creative and start playing the Detonation medley again. And again, and again.

Ok, sorry 4 things.

4. For everyone having issues in here with it, don't listen to them. I doubt they will reach past these doors and no one really cares except us sad and lonely Sisters fans.

Damn, ok one more thing.

5. Slept is still a really lame and boring song. Please do Still the next time.

I just can't stop myself.

6. Since Von did not wanna open for Pet Shop Boys I don't think he has a say anymore. There I said it.
Last edited by il duce on 28 Jun 2022, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:34

damage?

Ok, I took so long formulating an answer that you already explained yourself.
I bow and make why way out of here, sorry.
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

FMAMMY wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 06:56 Hi,
thanks for listening to Some kind of demos!

Great work! And really fun idea, since the band will never release anything I think this is a really cool way.
Again, good work.
Being645
Above the Chemist

il duce wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:54
Ok, I took so long formulating an answer that you already explained yourself.
I bow and make why way out of here, sorry.
... :lol: ... well, that sounds rather borderline ... such a fuss about differing opinions.
But yeah, elsewhere in the world people get poisoned, tortured, imprisoned and forced into unpaid labour for that.
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

There’s some weird fundamentalism in here.

Personally, I think Tobias made Von a great favor. He (Von) would and will never release anything again, so this just might be the greatest promotional tool for the Sisters in a long time. There are a lot of ”casual fans” out there, people who don’t spend their time browsing YouTube for live videos. This collection of covers might actually get one or two more people to sing along to Eyes Of Caligula at the next Sisters gig, and certainly that must be a good thing, right?
I know I will be sharing Tobias’ recordings to my friends come the next Sisters tour.
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 09:59
Todashi wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 17:24 An entire album of other people's work uploaded to commercial platforms, complete with copyright statements feels entirely different. If I was Von, I'd have a strong opinion about this. Personally, I'd be surprised if Tobias doesn't hear from him or someone close to him in the next 24 hours. If he hasn't already.
This.
I haven’t listened to the songs yet but I agree that it doesn’t feel right, especially to upload the songs as a whole package to the biggest commercial platforms like Spotify and ITUNES. Particularly if FMAMMY claims to love the band
It’s true that the Sisters haven’t released anything for decades but but they never said they wouldn’t ever again. And now is the first time in the current century that they’ve written enough songs to make a whole album and various band members suggest that there may be a new record. I don’t think it’s a good move to go ahead like this with availability on said platforms.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Von wasn’t overjoyed to see all their work recorded in a studio and put out on those platforms even if there is a difference in vocal style and some arrangements.

Dear Von: Do you remember the recent concert review in Sweden where the journalist said you have the sexiest voice ever???
See - you must record the songs yourselves no matter who else put them out! We’re all waiting! :D ;D :D
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

Icon wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:28
This.
I haven’t listened to the songs yet but I agree that it doesn’t feel right, especially to upload the songs as a whole package to the biggest commercial platforms like Spotify and ITUNES. Particularly if FMAMMY claims to love the band
It’s true that the Sisters haven’t released anything for decades but but they never said they wouldn’t ever again. And now is the first time in the current century that they’ve written enough songs to make a whole album and various band members suggest that there may be a new record. I don’t think it’s a good move to go ahead like this with availability on said platforms.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Von wasn’t overjoyed to see all their work recorded in a studio and put out on those platforms even if there is a difference in vocal style and some arrangements.

Dear Von: Do you remember the recent concert review in Sweden where the journalist said you have the sexiest voice ever???
See - you must record the songs yourselves no matter who else put them out! We’re all waiting! :D ;D :D
I just have to ask, do you really believe that this will influence whether or not The Sisters will release new music in the future? Are you giving these cover versions that kind of weight, that kind of importance?
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Icon wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:28 I haven’t listened to the songs yet but I agree that it doesn’t feel right, especially to upload the songs as a whole package to the biggest commercial platforms like Spotify and ITUNES. Particularly if FMAMMY claims to love the band

You said it better than I did... :) :notworthy: ... and yes, exactly, it's not only Von but also Ben, Dylan and Davey in the band and they surely won't have their joy and possible plans spoilt by some cover, even if it's a full album. AFAIK, there are also some more songs in the making, yet unplayed and unheard and ... uncovered ... ;D ... maybe slightly sad news for the coming gigs, but there are so many new songs out there now, that it should be bearable ... :lol: ...
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

TheGoodSon wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:39
Icon wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:28

This.

I just have to ask, do you really believe that this will influence whether or not The Sisters will release new music in the future? Are you giving these cover versions that kind of weight, that kind of importance?
I don’t actually think the Sisters would stop plans to record and release the music just because someone put out cover versions before they get the chance. I certainly don’t give them that much weight.only I wouldn’t be pleased if I was the artist.
My feelings may be very far from the band’s, but I agree with those other Heartlanders who think it’s not the best style. Only my personal opinion though.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

il duce wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:52 2. If the band has a problem with this there is a very, very simple solution.
Do I have to say it?
Make an album.
The only sensible thing anyone's said all day!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nonesuch wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 14:38
il duce wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:52 2. If the band has a problem with this there is a very, very simple solution.
Do I have to say it?
Make an album.
Oh well, it's soo good we have you here to judge ... :P ...
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Even if it's legally possible to do so, just don't. Thats my take on it.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

I'm trying to think of some examples of cover versions that have been released before the original version. I'm sure there's loads, but I can only think of a few off the top of my head.

'Mighty Quinn' by Manfred Mann, released before Bob Dylan released his own version.
'Vegetable Man' by The Jesus and Mary Chain, Syd Barratt demo.
'Mr. Tambourine Man' by The Byrds, another Bob Dylan demo (at the time)

I'm sure Dylan would've known about those versions of his songs being released, but I very much doubt the Jesus and Mary Chain would've reached out to Syd Barrett to ask permission.

The question here is whether these new Sisters songs have actually been published? I know there was a song publishing site years ago that had some unreleased Eldritch compositions (and the SSV stuff), so I think unrecorded songs can be registered. But I could be wrong, maybe someone else here knows more than me.

I don't know him, but I don't know any reason @FMAMMY would spend all this time (and it would have been a LOT of time) recording these songs if he didn't love the band. Why else would he do it? Like he said, he has to pay the streaming services to get them on there in the first place. And can we remember that The Sisters are freely available to listen on Spotify and Apple Music, whether or not we, or Eldritch, agree with their business model.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Depprocksfarfar wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 14:56 Even if it's legally possible to do so, just don't. Thats my take on it.
But why?

(I'm playing devil's advocate here just to make that clear)
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Being645 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 14:52
Do I have to say it?
Make an album.
Well everyone else seems to be judge, jury and executioner...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

If the band do have a problem with this, the "very, very simple solution" may very well be a cease-and-desist letter. Or an injunction.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
czuczu
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 15:18 If the band do have a problem with this, the "very, very simple solution" may very well be a cease-and-desist letter. Or an injunction.
Way back when there was an issue with filesharing and an FTP server, didn't they just ask politely?
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nonesuch wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 15:16
Being645 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 14:52

Well everyone else seems to be judge, jury and executioner...
True ... :lol: ...