Marx, Bowie, Bridlington and the 28th June

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Hey hey :)

I was recently contacted by That Nice Gary Marx(TM) again, and he sent me some info about his latest project, along with some musings that seem pertinent on this day...

His intro goes thus:
Gary Marx wrote:I don’t have any more broken guitars to offer you so I decided to give you this as a small thank you. I don’t know if it will be of massive interest to the bulk of your forum visitors, who may be wholly in the thrall of industrial rock and dark wave, (or whatever the latest labels are) but it’s here for you to use as you see fit.
;) :D

And the musing he sent through:

Gary also wrote:It’s almost the 50th anniversary of Bowie killing off Ziggy on July 3rd 1973. That famous Hammersmith gig came a few days after a much lesser-known show in Bridlington, East Yorkshire. The set-list was almost the same that Thursday night, (apart from the two extra songs to acknowledge the death throes of Mr Stardust, added for the London farewell the following Tuesday.)

Bridlington has played its part in my story, (it’s where I went on childhood family holidays) and of course it is crucial to The Sisters story. Those few recordings made at KG studios in the early 80’s are the reason this forum exists. The Sisters would have been finished within 18 months of being formed but for those Brid boys – the studio and the PA hire.

I have just completed a new set of songs with John Spence producing – I last saw John when he stepped in to cover The Reptile House sessions. I went back home to East Yorkshire to record a deliberately nostalgic set of tunes – a Glam inspired hymn to my decidedly unglamorous teenage years. I wanted to give The Mighty Quiff a foretaste.
And a foretaste he did indeed provide.

It's NOT a Sisters song. As he mentions, it's his nostalgic homage to glam, and part of his new project M*ARX.

Enjoy:

Babylon Bop
https://myheartland.co.uk/temp/marx-babylon-bop.mp3

;D :notworthy:

Happy 28th June.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Awesome, nice one. Great track too, more!
sultan2075
Overbomber

This is good. Looking forward to hearing more.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Nyth Grandbeard
Road Kill

Glad to see ol' Gary still got it :notworthy:
:von: Check out my Artwork: https://x.com/NicksArtCorner :von:
Icon
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Great! So glad that the lovely Mr. Marx hasn‘t retired completely yet.
@ Quiffboy: give lots of :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: from me to my favorate Sister, well, alongside that little guy Von. :lol: :lol:
Valentine
Road Kill

nice T Rex flashbacks there. Good tune.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

How extraordinarily decent, cheers That Nice Gary Marx, and That Excellent Mr Quiffboy :notworthy:

Dunno much about 28 June but the 27th June = National Sisters Tear The Roof Off The NEC in 1992 Day, so close enough ;D :von: :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

that's top! Especially loving the significance of the date.
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Above the Chemist

Sounds good ... :D :D :D ... curious now to hear more from this set ... :D ...

The place and date of the ticket Bowie playing Bridlington is also very cool ... 8) ;D ...
My first chance to see them live was in 1983 at Bochum Ruhrstadion and a few
days later in Offenbach... not exactly my favourite Bowie era now but it was so
exciting then, and the stadiums were fully packed ...

Thanks very much to the both of you ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
Back in time

Mr. Marx sounds like extremely nice person.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Thanks QB and Mr Marx, great to have some new tunes in the pipeline, and in particular to hear about their provenance. Looking forward to the full set but this will do nicely for now!
mh
Above the Chemist

This is rather excellent. It got my toes tapping and me doing a little boogie in my chair, the chorus is stuck right in my head too. Gazza Mazza never lost it. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Gothicbiff

Valentine wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 15:50 nice T Rex flashbacks there. Good tune.
Definite TRex vibe... which of course is no bad thing :notworthy:
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

ooo and a foretaste that was :notworthy:
this project is definitely something special so thank you @Quiff Boy and massive thank you to mr Marx :notworthy:

downloaded to listen on repeat when painting :wink:
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
iesus
Overbomber

As we say in Greek: ΚΟΜΜΑΤΑΡΑ!!!
This is Super Good!! :D :D
Thank You all the parties that shared to the point for as to know!! :notworthy:
Especially Mr.Marx and Mr.Q :notworthy: :notworthy:
I would be interested to know when the full project comes out!
Amazing! :bat: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
viper502
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 12:36 Hey hey :)

I was recently contacted by That Nice Gary Marx(TM) again, and he sent me some info about his latest project, along with some musings that seem pertinent on this day...

His intro goes thus:
Gary Marx wrote:I don’t have any more broken guitars to offer you so I decided to give you this as a small thank you. I don’t know if it will be of massive interest to the bulk of your forum visitors, who may be wholly in the thrall of industrial rock and dark wave, (or whatever the latest labels are) but it’s here for you to use as you see fit.
;) :D

And the musing he sent through:

Gary also wrote:It’s almost the 50th anniversary of Bowie killing off Ziggy on July 3rd 1973. That famous Hammersmith gig came a few days after a much lesser-known show in Bridlington, East Yorkshire. The set-list was almost the same that Thursday night, (apart from the two extra songs to acknowledge the death throes of Mr Stardust, added for the London farewell the following Tuesday.)

Bridlington has played its part in my story, (it’s where I went on childhood family holidays) and of course it is crucial to The Sisters story. Those few recordings made at KG studios in the early 80’s are the reason this forum exists. The Sisters would have been finished within 18 months of being formed but for those Brid boys – the studio and the PA hire.

I have just completed a new set of songs with John Spence producing – I last saw John when he stepped in to cover The Reptile House sessions. I went back home to East Yorkshire to record a deliberately nostalgic set of tunes – a Glam inspired hymn to my decidedly unglamorous teenage years. I wanted to give The Mighty Quiff a foretaste.
And a foretaste he did indeed provide.

It's NOT a Sisters song. As he mentions, it's his nostalgic homage to glam, and part of his new project M*ARX.

Enjoy:

Babylon Bop
https://myheartland.co.uk/temp/marx-babylon-bop.mp3

;D :notworthy:

Happy 28th June.
That sounds great!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

HOW THE BUGGERY-FUCK DID I MISS THIS????? made me day this has!
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: