Amsterdam Paradiso 83 - wonky tape recording...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Anyone here got any idea just how much I should pitch it up by?!?

I found my ancient CD bootleg of this gig the other day and I decided to convert it into MP3 and shove it through Traktor DJ studio to try and pitch it up a bit..

was wondering if anyone else had done this and what kind of pitch increase you need for it to be at the actual speed..

I've got it at around 8-9% currently though I think any more and its going to sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks on speed...

Also, does anyone know of a piece of software that I can use to increase the pitch of an MP3 and then save it at that pitch - I've only just started using Traktor and have no idea how the buggery to save stuff... wondered if there was anything a bit easier to use...
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

- Question 1: Pitch: I've set it on 106% (= + 6%), cause that sounded about ok, but I can't really tell, cause I've never heard a different "corrected" version to compare mine with.

- Question 2: Personally I work with Amadeus II (not freeware but cheapish and very good to work with imho: http://www.hairersoft.com), but there's also some freeware: Audacity, which Karst has recommended in another thread (somewhere in the weeding section where all this flac/cd-rom discussions went on. There's also the link to that freeware).

Hope this helps... :D
You can't fix stupid.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

theres a pitch-control plugin for winamp out there somewhere. came across it as a result of listenign to that same bootleg (napalm gods or something?) when it was up on that anon ftp server a few years ago... :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Gottdammerung

Quiff Boy wrote:theres a pitch-control plugin for winamp out there somewhere. came across it as a result of listenign to that same bootleg (napalm gods or something?) when it was up on that anon ftp server a few years ago... :D
I might well investigate that..

I got my copy of it nay on ten years ago, it's got the name "Possession" and really is one of the first CD bootlegs by the looks of it..

very low quality paper production and packaging to say the least.. :)
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://www.geocities.com/lachert108/boo ... _gods.html

"NAPALM GODS" (CD)
Burn · Valentine · Anaconda · Heartland · Alice · Emma · Temple of Love · Floorshow · Adrenochrome · Gimme Shelter · Kiss the Carpet · Body Electric · Lights · Sister Ray/ Louie Louie/ Ghostrider
[Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands · Sunday 28th August 1983]

http://www.geocities.com/lachert108/boo ... ssion.html

"POSSESSION" (CD/ LP)
Burn · Valentine · Anaconda · Heartland · Alice · Emma · Temple of Love · Floorshow · Adrenochrome · Gimme Shelter · Kiss the Carpet · Body Electric · Lights · Sister Ray/ Louie Louie/ Ghostrider
[Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands · Sunday 28th August 1983]
Gottdammerung

Quiff Boy wrote:

"POSSESSION" (CD/ LP)]

Hmmm.... my CD definitely doesn't have as fancy artwork as that! :eek:

It's very much a black and white effort with some printed stuff on the CD itself..

Hunter S. Thompson
aims
Overbomber

Am I the only one who thinks it somewhat daft to name a boot "Possession" when it doesn't in fact have said track on it? :|
Karst
Slight Overbomber

This was a radio-broadcast, wasn't it? I think a speed-corrected version was weeded. I need to check that. Blanket correction has its pitfalls. A tape stretches and disintegrates in different places. Try to load the tracks seperately and apply it that way. But all in all your first step might be to check the weeding section.
Last edited by Karst on 25 Oct 2005, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Overbomber

When I speed-corrected a recording I chose another gig from that same tour and chose a song and timed it, then another gig and timed the same song, etc... and calculated an average length that that song should be, then speed corrected so the song in the 'too slow'(in this case-Camden Palace 12.8.83) gig was the same length. Obviously choose a song that doesn't have any extended intros or anything or it'll throw your timing off, or time from the first verse to the end of the last or something if you're afraid of different length intros/outros throwing the timing off.

I use soundforge. You open a new window and it asks you to input the khz. Usually it's always 44,100 but if you input some other value it changes the speed of the recording. It's trial and error but once you have it at the right speed you 'resample' it(it's a menu option) to get it back to 44,100khz while remaining at that new speed.
James Blast
Banned

Motz wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it somewhat daft to name a boot "Possession" when it doesn't in fact have said track on it? :|
not as daft as Tony James on the cover of Napalm Gods
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Dan wrote:When I speed-corrected a recording I chose another gig from that same tour and chose a song and timed it, then another gig and timed the same song, etc... and calculated an average length that that song should be, then speed corrected so the song in the 'too slow'(in this case-Camden Palace 12.8.83) gig was the same length. Obviously choose a song that doesn't have any extended intros or anything or it'll throw your timing off, or time from the first verse to the end of the last or something if you're afraid of different length intros/outros throwing the timing off.
:notworthy: Thanks for the idea - it wouldn't have occurred to me otherwise... :oops: :lol:
You can't fix stupid.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the joys of bands who use drum machines.... means that (in theory) the length of any given song should be pretty much the same for the duration of a tour (at least) 8) :lol:
Pat
Slight Overbomber

I have this as a 2lp set "Beware The Ghost".No problems with the pitch.
If it's not in the weeding section,you could PM me.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

The problems with electronic instruments is that sometimes they're difficult to get out of 4/4 time.

Expect at least one Tierkreis song in the future that's 5/4 or 3/4, just for difference. 8)
aims
Overbomber

Dark wrote:The problems with electronic instruments is that sometimes they're difficult to get out of 4/4 time.

Expect at least one Tierkreis song in the future that's 5/4 or 3/4, just for difference. 8)
And the problem with real instruments is that they're sometimes difficult to get into 4/4 time.

But my musical inadequacies are off topic ;D
James Blast
Banned

check out some King Crimson time signatures - 13/7 anyone?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
pikkrong
Overbomber

Gottdammerung wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

"POSSESSION" (CD/ LP)]
Seems so that I remember who sent the second (from left) artwork scan to Lachert :innocent:
do i drive
or am i driven
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Karst wrote:This was a radio-broadcast, wasn't it? I think a speed-corrected version was weeded. I need to check that. Blacket correction has its pitfalls. A tape stretches and disintegrates in different places. Try to load the teacks seperately and apply it that way. But all in all your first step might be to check the weeding section.
It was my "speed-corrected" version that was weeded.

It still sounds pretty shit, for exactly the reason that Karst stated - I used a single correction across the whole recording but the problem isn't really 'uniform' enough for that to work totally.

Still better than listening to the 'Napalm Gods' or 'Possession' versions though.
анархия
czuczu
Overbomber

Gottdammerung wrote:Anyone here got any idea just how much I should pitch it up by?!?

I found my ancient CD bootleg of this gig the other day and I decided to convert it into MP3 and shove it through Traktor DJ studio to try and pitch it up a bit..

was wondering if anyone else had done this and what kind of pitch increase you need for it to be at the actual speed..
I might as well make my first post here a useful one...

By eerie coincidence I've been doing exactly the same thing for the last couple of days:
I used 2 separate source recordings - the slow Possession CD boot and a tape which I've had since the dawn of time. Neither includes the first couple of minutes of Burn, as far as I know this doesn't exist...

Anyway, I matched the Possession CD to the pitch of the tape, which sounds correct and then stitched the 2 together using Audition. The pitch change for the CD was around 90.45% (that's actually compression of running time & pitch to 90.45%!) but there were a couple of tweaks for different songs to keep it in synch. Once I had that sorted it was possible to match the CD tracks to the audience sound from the cassette. I topped it off with a nifty cross-fade of Burn from the 11th Aug 83 show to complete it. It's not ideal but it's probably as good as it's gonna get without a better source. I don't think it was a broadcast by the way - sounds far too dry, most likely a tape of the sound desk or monitor mix.

Oh yeah - hello to anyone I know!
:)
(back to lurking)

Edit: just listened to it all the way through for the first time I suspect that it's still a little flat - the timing sounds fine but the guitars don't sound in tune. Of course, there's every chance they weren't in tune most of the time but they sort themselves out before TOL so I'll see how close it is tonight..
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Just checked my ancient tape of this and it is also missing the start of burn -the speed seems fine though.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Christian
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Sorry for warming up a thread which is more then 10 years old (time flies...). :notworthy:

I listened to my Paradiso CD recently and was quite unhappy with it because of the "wrong" speed of it. However, the overall sound quality of the recording is pretty good so I asked Google for any Information about recordings with with "correct" speed. Came across this thread then. :innocent:

Anybody got a pimped mp3 or wav file and would be willing to share? :wink:
Pista
Cureboi

Christian wrote:Sorry for warming up a thread which is more then 10 years old (time flies...). :notworthy:

I listened to my Paradiso CD recently and was quite unhappy with it because of the "wrong" speed of it. However, the overall sound quality of the recording is pretty good so I asked Google for any Information about recordings with with "correct" speed. Came across this thread then. :innocent:

Anybody got a pimped mp3 or wav file and would be willing to share? :wink:
Try this. Might help
https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... t=paradiso
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Christian
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Excellent - that was much fast than expected. :D
robertzombie
Overbomber

Pitch correcting Sisters songs is easy, just match the bootleg up to the official single. I know there's talk of them sometimes changing the speed but it's the closest way of being sure. Also, if you're importing from a redbook CD, you need to to make the adjustments at 24 or 32 bit, not 16.
mh
Above the Chemist

robertzombie wrote:Pitch correcting Sisters songs is easy, just match the bootleg up to the official single.
That's generally what I do. :notworthy: Pick something like Alice where you can easily line up the beats, and job's a good 'un.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.