peru - brasil - argentina

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
lachert
Overbomber

still, 6h of drive + 1,5h of gig = 7,5 day work :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
rhoeckel
Road Kill

Less is more...
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

From official site:
"2009 June 05: Curitiba, Brazil: cancelled: some kind of problem at the venue "
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:From official site:
"2009 June 05: Curitiba, Brazil: cancelled: some kind of problem at the venue "
Now that makes more sense...
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Husek

I Had called for the Curitiba Showroom and after to top link music.

Well;
In Fact there's a problem on the venue, and the gig in são paulo june 4th it's just consequence of this gig problem in curitiba.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
nench
Road Kill

Being645 wrote:
dtsom wrote:
psichonaut wrote:i heard they probably delete the Peru date, someone said on another forum that the tickets cost too much considrering what the people gain
it seems that the cheapest tickets is 105 american $
so in the forums the people says that it seems that almost no one can afford it
That's a hell lot of money ... :eek: :urff: :eek:

I really wonder what audience the organizers were expecting when contracting for the event? :roll:
All VIP tickets are sold out for todays show at Voce. Hope that tonight show in Lima will be the greatest in the South American Tour. :)
Being645
Above the Chemist

nench wrote: All VIP tickets are sold out for todays show at Voce. Hope that tonight show in Lima will be the greatest in the South American Tour. :)
Sounds good ... ;D ... wish you everything you hope for ... :D
Husek

So...anyone had seen the peru gig?
setlist :D
:innocent:
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Husek wrote:So...anyone had seen the peru gig?
setlist :D
:innocent:
Bit early yet, innit? It's only just gone midnight...
--Elizabeth von Arnim
adebar
Road Kill

nench, the vip wasn't sold out!

the gig was a shame. It is sad that my feeling and memory of sisters of mercy were destroyed tonight.

first the crew needed one hour to set up the light and put the fog-machine in the right position, so it could finally start at 10 p.m. instead of 9 p.m.

and then they started...I was so much looking forward to this event and travelled 24 hours to see them and then: worst sound quality!
Ok, I thought, it happens, give them another song or two, the sound engineer has to adjust everything, but nope, almost no change during the concert.

Andrew's words were hardly to be understood, the voice of the embarrassingly behaving show-off rhythm-guitarist sounded so misplaced (though that changed a bit later one, the sound engineer seemed to be there somehow...) and the lead guitarist should better look for a straight rock or metal band with his cold, emotionless and absolutely non-innovative style of playing. The drum computers (oh sweety-boy, do we have a dell, an apple AND an eee! nothing else to show off...?!) sounded unclear, undifferentiated, fuzzy. Neither sharp heights, nor a stomach-trembling base. All in all they were not rocking, not touching, not arriving.
They were unnecessary.
If they would have been a cover-band, I wouldn't complain. But it wasn't, it was an Eldritch in the need of money who gives a f..! on his fans!! Taking two boys who play and sing like in a school band and make some money. And doing all that in a poor country for prices that are a plain insult to it's people!

At the beginning it seemed, that Andrew was aware of the p*ss taking he was up to, because of smoking one cigarette after the other. But luckily Peruvians are some happy and thankful people (and don't have the chance to see international groups too often) and tried to have their fun, singing and dancing, though often it didn't last to long, because the sound was just too boring.
No wonder, no encore was demanded. A short version of Temple of Love was given anyway. Good, that we know the lyrics, cause the voice was still not clear.

What a disappointing night. What a waste of money. What a destruction of a cult.
The Sisters of Mercy are dead.
paul
Overbomber

Thanks for the comment, adebar ...
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I believe you adebar, your review is a spot-on description of the Sisters on a bad night. They can be really great though, but I guess that doesn't help much if you live in a place where they almost never play...
lachert
Overbomber

thanks adebar, poor about the show.

first videos:
after / crash - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUpB5Xyhm_s
ribbons - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obj-ggCD4K4

vision (stills) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncEsSCdlCWQ
long live rock'n'roll
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Well, apparently we haven-t been to the same gig...

According to the tour manager they had technical problems, but that-s a matter of the venue-s technical systems, and yes, Ben in particular likes to show off - it-s part of his performance. And yes, I-d also say that we-ve had better sound, but that again is a matter of what the venue offers, and has nothing to do with the band.

But the gig in itself, and how the Peruvians reacted to it have been an unexpected highlight. I thought the concert was absolutely fantastic. And the band seemed to enjoy it, too.

I don-t know what you expected...

This trip to Southern America has been a very wise choice, as we-ve witnessed some of the best shows of this tour. Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo and Lima each were top gigs, each in their own right, and they cannot be compared. In Buenos Aires, we had outstanding sound and lights in an old theater similar to the one in Paris, we had an excited crowd, a heavy moshpit and crowsurfers. In Sao Paulo we had a modern venue with top accoustics, probably the best Sisters light show I-ve ever seen and an enthousiastic audience of easily 3000 people. No moshpit, and no crowd surfers, but much singing along. And NO chatting during the concert. The people really were there for the music, not to see and be seen. And Lima might not have had the best sound, but it was still very good and loud, and everybody was enthousiastic. The whole crowd went up and down as one during FLAA and onwards, it was a pleasure to see from where I was standing. Many European and US city audiences could still learn a lot about partying and the proper way to behave at a Sisters gig if only they saw what happened here, and in BA, and in Sao Paulo, and even in Porto Alegre.

Last but not least, my greetings go out to the fantastic people we met in Porto Alegre and Sao Paulo. it was such a pleasure to spend time and talk with locals and to find out again, that although we live on different continents we can still share a similar view onto the world.

And now I-ll drown in my post-tour-depression, so please excuse me.[/img][/list]
You can't fix stupid.
Being645
Above the Chemist

@ adebar: sorry bout your disappointment ... seems to have been one of these days ...
... it was an Eldritch in the need of money who gives a f..! on his fans!! Taking two boys who play and sing like in a school band and make some money. And doing all that in a poor country for prices that are a plain insult to it's people!
:lol: ... I don't think so.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

i agree with Being645 - is there any chance you might be taking it a bit too personally adebar? i would imagine that it takes a bit more than just a poor gig to insult a country and its people...

thanks for taking your time to write a review anyway :)
Last edited by LouLou on 08 Jun 2009, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
_emma_
Overbomber

Eva wrote:Well, apparently we haven-t been to the same gig...
Thank you for clearing that up, I was starting to get uneasy thinking that maybe really something went totally wrong. :lol:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

adebar wrote:first the crew needed one hour to set up the light and put the fog-machine in the right position, so it could finally start at 10 p.m. instead of 9 p.m.
You know, from what everyone has said about all the other shows on this tour, the timing has been like clockwork - they've been onstage when they were supposed to be, and - with a couple of dramatic exceptions - played the same length show everywhere and got off the stage when expected. So this sounds like another exception, and if things aren't going well right from the start...it usually bodes ill for the rest of the night.
and also wrote:At the beginning it seemed, that Andrew was aware of the p*ss taking he was up to, because of smoking one cigarette after the other.
I'm afraid I really don't follow your logic. :? In any case, if he was chain-smoking, it was more than likely because he was stressed out and/or pissed off about the gig not going well. It's a phenomenon that has been observed before, believe me.
And finally wrote:What a disappointing night. What a waste of money. What a destruction of a cult.
The Sisters of Mercy are dead.
I'm truly sorry this was such a disappointment to you. And I understand that, along with their ability to experience great joy and enthusiasm, Peruvians (and other Latin Americans, and Spaniards...) also experience negative emotions very strongly. (Diego? I'm sure you remember...)

Eldritch actually thinks quite fondly of his fans, and he doesn't like disappointing us any more than we like being disappointed. I can only hope that, given some time to gain perspective, you'll realise this, and feel less bitter about it. I am confident he doesn't feel any better about this than you do, and he certainly was not disrespecting you in the way you seem to think he was. :(
--Elizabeth von Arnim
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Eva wrote:According to the tour manager they had technical problems, but that-s a matter of the venue-s technical systems, and yes, Ben in particular likes to show off - it-s part of his performance. And yes, I-d also say that we-ve had better sound, but that again is a matter of what the venue offers, and has nothing to do with the band.
Sounds like a fair assessment. It certainly seems as if adebar had no idea of the current lineup. He isn't the first to experience this shock. And here I thought the entire world used YouTube... :?
And she wrote:But the gig in itself, and how the Peruvians reacted to it have been an unexpected highlight. I thought the concert was absolutely fantastic. And the band seemed to enjoy it, too.
Isn't it odd how one can be surrounded by wildly happy people and yet remain discontent?
And then she wrote:I don-t know what you expected...
The Sisters have a chronic and significant difficulty factor in meeting the expectations of their fans. I suspect it is at least in part due to the fact that there is more than one 'cult' of fans: the one that expects them to exactly reproduce the sound of their albums, the one that expects them to be *the g-word*, the one that cares for nothing but the old Reptile House era...and those of us who can embrace the current reality. Maybe that just means we're easy to please :wink: , but I don't think it's that simple.
And she also wrote:NO chatting during the concert. The people really were there for the music, not to see and be seen...Many European and US city audiences could still learn a lot about partying and the proper way to behave at a Sisters gig if only they saw what happened here, and in BA, and in Sao Paulo, and even in Porto Alegre.
As I pointed out elsewhere, for audience response, you shoulda been in Seattle...Perhaps not the best show in other senses, but you couldn't fault the level of enthusiasm. And believe me, that is quite rare in this city full of dour Scandinavians and too-cool-to-live hipsters.
And she finally wrote:And now I-ll drown in my post-tour-depression, so please excuse me.
Awww... :(

Keep thinking about 2011... :D
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

few videos: Falaa, C&B, Alice, Marian, Susanne, D/MR: http://www.youtube.com/user/PAPI67
lachert
Overbomber

7anthea7 wrote:Keep thinking about 2011... :D
i miss something? :eek: what's the story behind that date? you know something i don't know? i saw it few times mention on this forum and it looks that everybodys waiting for it :eek: world cup 2010, euro cup 2012, but 2011? :eek: sisters bite 30 bullet, is that? :eek:
long live rock'n'roll
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

lachert wrote:sisters bite 30 bullet, is that? :eek:
Yup. It's in the South American interviews...erm, somewhere here. Another Humongous Worldwide Anniversary Tour. :D
Last edited by 7anthea7 on 08 Jun 2009, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Mr Bald with Beard said to basil edition of playboy something about celebrating 30th anniversary. like he said something about making a record. and other funny things. :wink:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:Mr Bald with Beard said to basil edition of playboy something about celebrating 30th anniversary. like he said something about making a record. and other funny things. :wink:
Actually, in those interviews he said there weren't any immediate plans for a record, although they do record fairly regularly. And tours are pretty much a reliable thing...by comparison. :wink:
--Elizabeth von Arnim
lachert
Overbomber

celebrating 30th anniversary may look in many different ways. he can just sit down and cry or just change layout on official site and put live version of will i drem in download section, which is not so bad otherway :lol:
long live rock'n'roll