08.04.2009 - Leeds

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:But, I have tried to escape it again and again and again and the effect was only :oops: and :cry: and :cry: and :oops: and ...
I've given it up now ...

My heart and my greetings to all of you!
Awwwww.... :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

And welcome, welcome, welcome!!!
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Debaser
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
Debaser wrote:Looked for you Ez but couldn't find yas.....*sniff*
and i you Ness :? and the ever illusive Biggy. Even asked Danny for his whereabouts, but still not to be on, what is now, the fifth time of trying :lol:

i was cunningly disguised in your favourite colour btw :wink:
Not sure Biggy was there....he never returns my calls anymore....he obviously don't love us anymore :(

I too was in orange and thought it was a lovely touch that the stage was bathed in that lovely hue at one point....
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Being645
Above the Chemist

Looks? :eek:

I have never cared about :von: 's looks (or the colour of his eyes).
[Mine have somewhat lost part of their electric, though.]

In addition, after so many years, I still were never sure whether it's him :oops: in front of me,
if he should ask me for the lights in the streets.

Can well be, he really talked with me some day or other and I resisted the assumption. 8)
I don't know. Looks ... never ever trust in looks.

I've seen so many lookalikes, some of them well aware of the fact ... and some of them very beautiful, indeed ...

Furthermore,
I've got many faces. And so does he and you and everybody!
Looks ...

Well, of course, I don't care all that much about my own looks and things like mascara.
Therefore it is clear that me, I am not good looking per se for quite a many
- and surely not in this world for standard dance.

Anyway, there are good-looking people.
I can enjoy that, since I do not tend to envy and jealousy all that much.
Some of them might live as far away from any horizon as I do ...

In addition, I have seen the prettiest faces turning into a wild grimace
while the fists came down on my body until they felt to have found some, say, definition again ...
Looks ... you must be joking. Sorry I didn't get that earlier.

Oh, yes - thank you, Anthea, for your heartily welcome. I'm not so used to :kiss: ing.

But - as my Belgian friends taught me - I give you a hug and one on each cheek: :kiss: - :kiss:
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

I made a rare return to the UK for this gig and went with a mate who last saw them at the RAH in 1985. We were about 5 rows from the front and loved it, although not as good as Barcelona.

I spoke to both the guitarists at the after show party, Chris said that he thought the Barcelona gig was great and I just said hi to Ben as I left - he seemed a really nice bloke.

That's it for this tour, roll on the next :)

BTW I took a load of photos, I'll sort out any that are good, but just back home so total chaos.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

the gig's been reviewed to death by now (been avoiding the internet like the plague for the last few days, in fear of finding anything in my work mailbox that might spoil my little break), so i'll keep it short and simple and say...

...i had a great time! :D 8) :D

ok, so there was no floorshow (or adrenochrome or amphetamine logic for that matter - but hey, a girl can dream, right?) and it wasn't particularly loud, but overall the band did a great job, particularly when one considers they'd only recently recovered from the throat infections and gastro-whatever.

i also got the chance to meet some absolutely amazing people, which made the whole experience even better :D :D :D.

to top it all off, i now have my very own copy of the setlist! i was about to break down in tears when the girl next to me got chris's setlist (any chance that was you, Honeythorn?) when the stage guy gave me (what i think is) :von: s copy instead ;D . it's still got the sticky tape thingy intact, and is currently stuck on my bedroom wall. blends in remarkably well with the rest of the decor, methinks :lol:

my only regret is that i didn't meet :von: in a bar (or a similar setting) so i've lost my chance to fabricate stories about any songs that may crop up in the (foreseeable or not-so-foreseeable) future...but then again, why should it stop me? :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

and yeah, still kicking myself for missing london.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

LouLou wrote:my only regret is that i didn't meet :von: in a bar (or a similar setting) so i've lost my chance to fabricate stories about any songs that may crop up in the (foreseeable or not-so-foreseeable) future...but then again, why should it stop me? :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
--Elizabeth von Arnim
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

LouLou wrote:my only regret is that i didn't meet :von: in a bar (or a similar setting) so i've lost my chance to fabricate stories about any songs that may crop up in the (foreseeable or not-so-foreseeable) future...but then again, why should it stop me? :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Actually, I think not meeting him is the most important part.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

stufarq wrote:
Actually, I think not meeting him is the most important part.
please don't tempt me :wink: .

aaah... all the things i could have come up with if only arms hadn't already been taken....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Francis
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:Obviously, :von: is regaining his strengths - not only with regard to some throat infections, gastroenteritis and then influenza.
Someone told me Mr E has given up smokimg. That's what happens...
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Francis wrote:
Being645 wrote:Obviously, :von: is regaining his strengths - not only with regard to some throat infections, gastroenteritis and then influenza.
Someone told me Mr E has given up smoking. That's what happens...
That appears to be a premature assessment of the situation. He has been observed with ciggie in hand during recent gigs, although that's no proof of inhaling. :wink: However, he was caught on at least one vid actually smoking, so my bet is that he's either backsliding or has reduced rather than ended his tobacco habit.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Francis
Overbomber

I have total empathy with those who feel deflated by their first Sisters performance. I was so let down when I finally got to see them at Leeds Univeristy in October 1984 that I pretty much turned my back and have denied tham in public ever since. The first album was a huge disappointment. So under-produced compared to the euphoria of slamming to Temple of Love at the Warehouse. Can't comment on whatever happened live between than and a Google search in 2002 which revealed that they were still alive and kicking. Found this place, rekindled the flame and now it's mainly about the legacy and the people who understand it. And the Lucretia bass line.

Don't give it away!
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Garbageman
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Okay, for what it's worth-just arived back in Atlanta so a little lagged-I thiught Leeds was a great night out.
The band were enjoying it, from where I stood-stage left-the crowd where enjoying it too.
Have not seen such a crowd for The Sisters since Orlando and the last time I saw them in November last year at The Variety Playhouse in Atlanta there where 400 tops.
Great intro and loved C and B.
Granted, there were a couple of dodgy sound issues but for fucks sake after travelling 4000 miles that was not going to put a dampner on the evening.
The only low of the night was Romeo Down-shocking-Floorshow would have been nice.
All in all a bloody good show.
Mark Fiend, nice to meet you albeit a little briefly and Quiffboy I really was sorry not too have met you-money is in the post mate.
Afterparty was very nice as well.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
Being645
Above the Chemist

Francis wrote:
Someone told me Mr E has given up smokimg. That's what happens...

In my conviction,
an addiction is the effect of personal decisions in response to certain individually differing challenges ...
Getting rid of the material in question is definitely helpful, since the stuff damages one's health.
The challenges, however, remain and demand improved responses.
Honeythorn
Amphetamine Filth

LouLou wrote: i was about to break down in tears when the girl next to me got chris's setlist (any chance that was you, Honeythorn?)
If said girl had a white shirt, black corset and huge hair then yes it was me.
when the stage guy gave me (what i think is) :von: s copy instead
IKILLYOUNOW! :eek: :twisted:
Captain Ahab rushed in, his craziness all unzipped......

" YER NEED TO DO MORE SEX! " ~ Drunken old Yorkshireman

http://www.sadeian.org/
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Garbageman wrote:Mark Fiend, nice to meet you albeit a little briefly
Likewise. Mad props for travelling so far!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

:von: setlist is very large print and stretches over 2-3 sheets of A4, so that's how you'll know :von:
Goths have feelings too
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

paint it black wrote::von: setlist is very large print and stretches over 2-3 sheets of A4, so that's how you'll know :von:
yep, that's the one. 2 A4 sheets stuck together with some black sticky tape (and more black sticky tape around the whole thing to stick it securely on the floor). it's got the first 12 songs on the first sheet and the rest on the second. and yes, very large print.

i would upload a pic, but my computer's bluetooth device has decided to die on me for some reason and i don't have a cable to connect my phone to the computer. :(
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

Honeythorn wrote: If said girl had a white shirt, black corset and huge hair then yes it was me.
i was too busy feeling sorry for myself to notice anything at the time, but if your earlier description of "grabby hands" is anything to go by, yes, that might have been you :)
Honeythorn wrote: IKILLYOUNOW! :eek: :twisted:
nooo, please don't!!! if it's any consolation, the setlist's got itself a kind and loving home and will be treated with the respect it deserves :wink: ;D
Debaser
Overbomber

For those with set lists...a little bit of advice from someone who knows.....do something with it straight away, make sure you pencil in lightly on the back the date and gig. Yes you may think you could never forget such a thing but you mark my words.......get it framed with your ticket and some fab photos (begged borrowd or stolen from various Facebooks)just do something with it otherwise you'll end up like me - hundreds of the bloody things stuffed in plastic wallets and when you do full tours it can be a nightmare remembering which was from which.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
_emma_
Overbomber

To be honest I've never understood why one would need a seltist for. I only have 2:
1. The one from Olso, because it was changed minutes before the gig and stuck onto the initial one, so I was very curious to see which songs were dropped. After taking a photo of it and posting the link here, I threw it into the fireplace together with some read newspapers.
2. The one from Hamburg (also 2009), because as I was wandering through the venue after the gig, after most people had gone, still elated having heard the new song "Arms" for the first time, the nice Moustche Ponytail Mister handed it to me because there was no one else around trying to grab it. I kept this one, because I thought it was a nice gesture.
And that's it. :P
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

because is the best souvenir, if we don't count memory ( :lol: ), photos/record and CD signed by Andrew.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i had a lovely night out! claire still has a nice bum, lee squished my ribs, motz EXISTS!, tim wasn't scared this time and diana's cleavage still rocks.
lots more to say, but so few brain cells atm.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
MarkC
Road Kill
Location: Far beyond the black horizon. OK, it's Leeds really

Cheers for the welcomes and thanks re the vid links I posted a few days ago now.
A fragment of Alice - Ice? :? - is now uploaded as well - brutal piece of surgery was needed to cut out the drinks orders which were all over the top of the first verses. :x
What remains still sounds cool to me, though.
:lol:
Cheers all, MC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7astcm8aE
or SistersLeedsApril09 on YouTube
Being645
Above the Chemist

MarkC wrote:Cheers for the welcomes and thanks re the vid links I posted a few days ago now.
A fragment of Alice - Ice? :? - is now uploaded as well - brutal piece of surgery was needed to cut out the drinks orders which were all over the top of the first verses. :x
What remains still sounds cool to me, though.
:lol:
Cheers all, MC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7astcm8aE
or SistersLeedsApril09 on YouTube
In the branches of the hawthorn
did you ever give me yours?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I've just found a couple of photos I took...
I think that second one might be my thumb...

I was drunk ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell