Norway - Bergen 2011-11-15!

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2010 Sisters dates and the 2011 30th Anniversary tour
User avatar
lachert
Overbomber
Posts: 3142
Joined: 30 Jul 2002, 01:00
Location: is it a womb or is it a tomb?

happy for you but wtf? :eek: where's continental tour? only islands, scandinavia etc... one and only gig so far will be cancell tomorrow. looks like thay don't wanna go down on mainland this time :eek:
long live rock'n'roll
User avatar
euphoria
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1107
Joined: 11 Mar 2003, 19:39
Location: Berlin

lachert wrote:happy for you but wtf? :eek: where's continental tour? only islands, scandinavia etc... one and only gig so far will be cancell tomorrow. looks like thay don't wanna go down on mainland this time :eek:
Go down on? ;D

Don't worry yet, remember how they toured in march 2009 :wink:
User avatar
lachert
Overbomber
Posts: 3142
Joined: 30 Jul 2002, 01:00
Location: is it a womb or is it a tomb?

euphoria wrote:
lachert wrote:happy for you but wtf? :eek: where's continental tour? only islands, scandinavia etc... one and only gig so far will be cancell tomorrow. looks like thay don't wanna go down on mainland this time :eek:
Go down on? ;D

Don't worry yet, remember how they toured in march 2009 :wink:
must be new kind of english, sorry :?
i don't wanna such big tour as in 2009, it always means a lot of mid-quality gigs and tired band, but 2 - 3 decent gigs near me will be nice :twisted:
long live rock'n'roll
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12687
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 76,8%

oh, given they start from Dublin to London then Bergen

it does rather look like the beginning of quite some further shows ... :lol: ;D :wink: ...
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

Looks like I'm going to have to find some extra source of income.
User avatar
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 251
Joined: 04 Jun 2005, 15:36
Location: london
Contact:

anyone wanna sponsor a native Norwegian speaker to take along for those tricky beer ordering conversations?

i'm hjappy to cover all your translating and interpreting needs for a small fee: accomodation, travel costs, and a daily food allowance! thanks!

on the other hand, norway is not in the EU so cigarettes and booze at the airport on entry! \o/
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
User avatar
sukhoi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 282
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 14:35
Location: Prague

_emma_ wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to find some extra source of income.
You should be happy, there is a cheap direct flight from Gdansk to Bergen with Wizzair :lol:
User avatar
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 861
Joined: 04 Sep 2004, 13:11
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Bergen of all places! 8)

Bring on the swedish dates. :)
User avatar
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 114
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 21:15
Location: A small planet near Betelgeuse. Namely Sweden.

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:Bergen of all places! 8)

Bring on the swedish dates. :)
I´ve heard whispers... ;)
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
User avatar
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 861
Joined: 04 Sep 2004, 13:11
Location: Sweden
Contact:

TheGoodSon wrote:I´ve heard whispers... ;)
:wink:
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

sukhoi wrote:
_emma_ wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to find some extra source of income.
You should be happy, there is a cheap direct flight from Gdansk to Bergen with Wizzair :lol:
But I need a canoe from London. :lol:
User avatar
euphoria
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1107
Joined: 11 Mar 2003, 19:39
Location: Berlin

_emma_ wrote:
sukhoi wrote:
_emma_ wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to find some extra source of income.
You should be happy, there is a cheap direct flight from Gdansk to Bergen with Wizzair :lol:
But I need a canoe from London. :lol:
London-Bergen is only 36 hours by express train, should be no problem for someone contemplating the Transsib - at least if someone has a big fat wallet :innocent:
User avatar
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 894
Joined: 29 Jan 2010, 15:45

sob sniff wail, I was hoping they played Norway around the Helsinki gig :cry:
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

euphoria wrote:London-Bergen is only 36 hours by express train,
I've just been googling and googling and nope, it's not doable by train, even if the journey takes "only" 36 hours it's still too long to make it in time. :?
Does anybody know if there exist a fast ferry from England to Norway? Either I'm too dumb to find it on google, or it doesn't exist. :(
User avatar
Dr Poo
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 114
Joined: 08 May 2006, 16:25
Location: Davros' private s**t house

Just get on a bloody plane! :P
User avatar
euphoria
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1107
Joined: 11 Mar 2003, 19:39
Location: Berlin

_emma_ wrote:
euphoria wrote:London-Bergen is only 36 hours by express train,
I've just been googling and googling and nope, it's not doable by train, even if the journey takes "only" 36 hours it's still too long to make it in time. :?
Does anybody know if there exist a fast ferry from England to Norway? Either I'm too dumb to find it on google, or it doesn't exist. :(
No, they removed all ferry services UK-Norway a couple of years ago, only Scandinavian connection today is Harwich-Esbjerg(DK), which doesn't make much sense för Bergen.

And yes you're right, I had underestimated how poor the connections were between the two biggest cities in Norway... Oslo could be reached already before noon, but then the fun ends.
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

Dr Poo wrote:Just get on a bloody plane! :P
well if you booked one already, can you PM me the details of the flight :notworthy: (which obviously doesn't mean I will be able to say yes, but at least you'll know that I tried). :) :?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker
Posts: 4510
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 01:00

_emma_ wrote:
Dr Poo wrote:Just get on a bloody plane! :P
well if you booked one already, can you PM me the details of the flight :notworthy: (which obviously doesn't mean I will be able to say yes, but at least you'll know that I tried). :) :?
I'm sure there'll be room in his TURDIS

perhaps you could hire a 'rib' or travel by deep sea trawler :?
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
User avatar
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 894
Joined: 29 Jan 2010, 15:45

Came back from Bergen yesterday, I have seen quite a few cities, but I've never seen anything like that town before :eek: "amazing" would be understatement.

Some travel tips for you guys:

If you have an extra day, take the train Oslo-Bergen. It is allegedly one of the most beautiful train trips in the world, and I can testify that it's true :eek:
Takes 6, 7 hours, it's quite an experience and not boring at all. You'll even get through a highland area where they filmed one of the first Star Wars movies :D

If you book the train ticket online (Norwegian railways official website http://www.nsb.no/?lang=en_US) in advance, you can snatch a "Minipris" starting at 199.- NOK (around 20 Euro) for all the way. It gets more expensive with time and there is a limited contingency of these, so it's better to buy it timely.

Train is roomy and comfy, and they have decent coffee (for a train).
There is an extra playground wagon for families with children, so in the other wagons, you can enjoy the quiet ;)

And in Bergen, avoid the scenic spots like Bryggen during day when it's overcrowded with tourists, just go there late afternoon when the tourist buses have left.
Shops for clothes and stuff close around 5 pm in summer, but food shops are open until midnight. You can't buy alcohol in supermarkets and 7/11s after 6pm (week) or 8pm (weekends), only in pubs, where it's more expensive of course.
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

Sita, I know, I checked this route on the internet and this is exactly what I wanted to do, but sadly the trip by train from London to Bergen is not doable in time to make it to the Bergen gig (and I'll definitely be in London). So - not this time for me, I hope that one day in my life I'll take the Oslo-Bergen train anyway.
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 538
Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 18:44
Location: Finland

Are any of you familiar with the venue, USF Verftet? How's the sound for a rock and roll gig?
User avatar
robertzombie
Overbomber
Posts: 4338
Joined: 05 Sep 2005, 12:49
Location: London

Enjoy!
User avatar
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 894
Joined: 29 Jan 2010, 15:45

Have a great night, everyone! And for all you Bergeners, greetings to that beautiful city.
Locked