Norway - Bergen 2011-11-15!

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2010 Sisters dates and the 2011 30th Anniversary tour
lachert
Overbomber

happy for you but wtf? :eek: where's continental tour? only islands, scandinavia etc... one and only gig so far will be cancell tomorrow. looks like thay don't wanna go down on mainland this time :eek:
long live rock'n'roll
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

lachert wrote:happy for you but wtf? :eek: where's continental tour? only islands, scandinavia etc... one and only gig so far will be cancell tomorrow. looks like thay don't wanna go down on mainland this time :eek:
Go down on? ;D

Don't worry yet, remember how they toured in march 2009 :wink:
lachert
Overbomber

euphoria wrote:
lachert wrote:happy for you but wtf? :eek: where's continental tour? only islands, scandinavia etc... one and only gig so far will be cancell tomorrow. looks like thay don't wanna go down on mainland this time :eek:
Go down on? ;D

Don't worry yet, remember how they toured in march 2009 :wink:
must be new kind of english, sorry :?
i don't wanna such big tour as in 2009, it always means a lot of mid-quality gigs and tired band, but 2 - 3 decent gigs near me will be nice :twisted:
long live rock'n'roll
Being645
Above the Chemist

oh, given they start from Dublin to London then Bergen

it does rather look like the beginning of quite some further shows ... :lol: ;D :wink: ...
_emma_
Overbomber

Looks like I'm going to have to find some extra source of income.
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

anyone wanna sponsor a native Norwegian speaker to take along for those tricky beer ordering conversations?

i'm hjappy to cover all your translating and interpreting needs for a small fee: accomodation, travel costs, and a daily food allowance! thanks!

on the other hand, norway is not in the EU so cigarettes and booze at the airport on entry! \o/
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
sukhoi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

_emma_ wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to find some extra source of income.
You should be happy, there is a cheap direct flight from Gdansk to Bergen with Wizzair :lol:
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Bergen of all places! 8)

Bring on the swedish dates. :)
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:Bergen of all places! 8)

Bring on the swedish dates. :)
I´ve heard whispers... ;)
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
TheBoyNextDoor

TheGoodSon wrote:I´ve heard whispers... ;)
:wink:
_emma_
Overbomber

sukhoi wrote:
You should be happy, there is a cheap direct flight from Gdansk to Bergen with Wizzair :lol:
But I need a canoe from London. :lol:
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:
sukhoi wrote:
But I need a canoe from London. :lol:
London-Bergen is only 36 hours by express train, should be no problem for someone contemplating the Transsib - at least if someone has a big fat wallet :innocent:
Sita

sob sniff wail, I was hoping they played Norway around the Helsinki gig :cry:
_emma_
Overbomber

euphoria wrote:London-Bergen is only 36 hours by express train,
I've just been googling and googling and nope, it's not doable by train, even if the journey takes "only" 36 hours it's still too long to make it in time. :?
Does anybody know if there exist a fast ferry from England to Norway? Either I'm too dumb to find it on google, or it doesn't exist. :(
Dr Poo
Amphetamine Filth

Just get on a bloody plane! :P
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:
euphoria wrote:London-Bergen is only 36 hours by express train,
I've just been googling and googling and nope, it's not doable by train, even if the journey takes "only" 36 hours it's still too long to make it in time. :?
Does anybody know if there exist a fast ferry from England to Norway? Either I'm too dumb to find it on google, or it doesn't exist. :(
No, they removed all ferry services UK-Norway a couple of years ago, only Scandinavian connection today is Harwich-Esbjerg(DK), which doesn't make much sense för Bergen.

And yes you're right, I had underestimated how poor the connections were between the two biggest cities in Norway... Oslo could be reached already before noon, but then the fun ends.
_emma_
Overbomber

Dr Poo wrote:Just get on a bloody plane! :P
well if you booked one already, can you PM me the details of the flight :notworthy: (which obviously doesn't mean I will be able to say yes, but at least you'll know that I tried). :) :?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

_emma_ wrote:
Dr Poo wrote:Just get on a bloody plane! :P
well if you booked one already, can you PM me the details of the flight :notworthy: (which obviously doesn't mean I will be able to say yes, but at least you'll know that I tried). :) :?
I'm sure there'll be room in his TURDIS

perhaps you could hire a 'rib' or travel by deep sea trawler :?
_emma_
Overbomber

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Sita

Came back from Bergen yesterday, I have seen quite a few cities, but I've never seen anything like that town before :eek: "amazing" would be understatement.

Some travel tips for you guys:

If you have an extra day, take the train Oslo-Bergen. It is allegedly one of the most beautiful train trips in the world, and I can testify that it's true :eek:
Takes 6, 7 hours, it's quite an experience and not boring at all. You'll even get through a highland area where they filmed one of the first Star Wars movies :D

If you book the train ticket online (Norwegian railways official website http://www.nsb.no/?lang=en_US) in advance, you can snatch a "Minipris" starting at 199.- NOK (around 20 Euro) for all the way. It gets more expensive with time and there is a limited contingency of these, so it's better to buy it timely.

Train is roomy and comfy, and they have decent coffee (for a train).
There is an extra playground wagon for families with children, so in the other wagons, you can enjoy the quiet ;)

And in Bergen, avoid the scenic spots like Bryggen during day when it's overcrowded with tourists, just go there late afternoon when the tourist buses have left.
Shops for clothes and stuff close around 5 pm in summer, but food shops are open until midnight. You can't buy alcohol in supermarkets and 7/11s after 6pm (week) or 8pm (weekends), only in pubs, where it's more expensive of course.
_emma_
Overbomber

Sita, I know, I checked this route on the internet and this is exactly what I wanted to do, but sadly the trip by train from London to Bergen is not doable in time to make it to the Bergen gig (and I'll definitely be in London). So - not this time for me, I hope that one day in my life I'll take the Oslo-Bergen train anyway.
centurionofprix

Are any of you familiar with the venue, USF Verftet? How's the sound for a rock and roll gig?
robertzombie
Overbomber

Enjoy!
Sita

Have a great night, everyone! And for all you Bergeners, greetings to that beautiful city.