21st July 2012 - Amphi-Festival, Köln

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2012.
Caravaggio
Road Kill

_emma_ wrote: also what makes me sad is that so many people here, and so many people on facebook, seem to be posting the link to this version of TC as highlight of the gig. :(
Maybe it was...
There have been better plans
But none that I could ever understand...
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Caravaggio wrote:
_emma_ wrote: also what makes me sad is that so many people here, and so many people on facebook, seem to be posting the link to this version of TC as highlight of the gig. :(
Maybe it was...
Certainly not (to me)!

"as we walk on the floodland"
Being645
Above the Chemist

Ozpat wrote:
Caravaggio wrote:
Maybe it was...
Certainly not (to me)!

To me neither. There were so many great moments in the gig ... and highlights are still coming up with such wonderful photos for example ... ;D :notworthy: ...
czuczu
Overbomber

When I first heard about it I thought it was some kind of duet. :?
Normally, I'd say trying something new to jolly the setlist up would be a good idea but leaving the stage and letting someone else have a go is an odd decision.

I'm probably just sore on missing out on Kolsch & sunshine..
radiojamaica
Overbomber

czuczu wrote:I'm probably just sore on missing out on Kolsch & sunshine..
The beach bar was brilliant! 8)

Very nice pics, people! :notworthy:
in dub we trust
Spiggythecat
Amphetamine Filth

_emma_ wrote:what's the point of her singing an entire song, as lead vocalist, ...
for me Eldritch realised lack of female factor in rock band called The Sisters of Mercy ;D
And the kissing and the colours come crushing down
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Caravaggio wrote:
Maybe it was...
Doesn't matter - I liked both, her performance and the "business-as-usual" parts of the gig. It was just the biggest surprise of the show so I think it's understandable if people tend to mention that guest appearance first. One might also say that this is a sign of good manners if we're capable giving her some credits, since she was invited by Von to play and didn't messed up her chance. I also think she was very nervous playing in front of such a huge crowd, not knowing what might happen. There was quite a chance that the people weren't in the mood for such a silent song (we all know what can happen during "I was wrong"^^). But she didn't lost the crowd and the applause she got was more than just polite clapping. Of course there are plenty beautiful voices out there who are able to put youtube clips of themself online but this is something hard to compare since singing and performing are two different things - and having a talent to create unique sounding cover versions is also not something I do see often (since I usually ROFL around close to heart attack condition if I'm looking for sisters covers^^).

We all know that this was probably a one-time thing with her and with the background story in mind I don't see the problem if the band spent a little piece of stagetime to someone they like.
DocSommer wrote:

@Indrek: Did you find the way/took a cab to the after show party? Mr. Green

Yes, I did Smile
;D ;D
BeeBeeOh
Amphetamine Filth

Ozpat wrote:Certainly not (to me)!

Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing!
I have just as much of a dark side as the next person.
paul
Overbomber

Nice pics, Pat!!!
Emily
Road Kill

Awesome photographs, ozpat!

Well, when Lisa entered the stage I first of all wondered if :von: is going to retire finally and looking for someone replacing him. I know this is rubbish, but that was just a small thought. It's ok for one festival, and I agree with the thought that it's really nice that :von: actually thinks about surprises and stuff.

It's a nice idea, although I thought it was kinda misplaced. But fair enough.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:Our dear friend Scardwel has send an half-an-hour vid up to YouTube, starting with Kiss The Carpet ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt-MTG6Ddk8
Thanks, Simon ... :notworthy: ... great sound as well ... Von's voice developing lovely nuances in there ... ;D ... *sigh ...
Many thanks for the link, and thanks to Simon for making and posting the video.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
_emma_
Overbomber

Caravaggio wrote:
Maybe it was...
I'm dead sure it wasn't.
doulfe
Amphetamine Filth

Ozpat wrote: Arms incl. female backing vocals
Dominion incl. female backing vocals
TOL with Ofrah Haza like female backing vocals
Does this mean the studio version of Arms features female backing vocals?* :innocent:

Although Lisa didn't join them during More, which does feature female backing vocals in the studio version...

*if there is a studio version of Arms... I'm a day-dreamer, okay?
It's a small world and it smells funny Image
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

doulfe wrote:
Ozpat wrote: Arms incl. female backing vocals
Dominion incl. female backing vocals
TOL with Ofrah Haza like female backing vocals
Does this mean the studio version of Arms features female backing vocals?* :innocent:

Although Lisa didn't join them during More, which does feature female backing vocals in the studio version...

*if there is a studio version of Arms... I'm a day-dreamer, okay?
So you know the answer....ofcourse!
"as we walk on the floodland"
lsind
Road Kill

This Corrosion was definitely not the highlight of the gig for me, but it was a nice interlude and a pleasant surprise. Especially since I tend to find This Corrosion too long live (I won't get much backing on this one, but I've never thought of this song as one of Sisters' best - :oops: ).
Temple of Love with female backing vocals was definitely one of the highlights though.
And - as I've mentioned before about the Clermont-Ferrand gig in November - More and Lucretia should have been highlights too, but they are way too short when performed live these days. Feels like the boys stop halfway through what could have been fantastic performances of these masterpieces in my opinion.
But all in all it was a great gig.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

lsind wrote:Especially since I tend to find This Corrosion too long live (I won't get much backing on this one, but I've never thought of this song as one of Sisters' best - :oops: ).
Temple of Love with female backing vocals was definitely one of the highlights though.
Oh I'm with you on this: for me they can just take TC and Temple off the setlist. So it's nice enough they did something with those tracks in Cologne :D
in dub we trust
My Dominion

lsind wrote:More and Lucretia should have been highlights too, but they are way too short when performed live these days. Feels like the boys stop halfway through what could have been fantastic performances of these masterpieces in my opinion
Yes, I woud like it too.
It would be great if they play the long versions of Lucreatia My Reflection and More :D

And to be honest I have never liked This Corrosion.
So If they are going to skipe it .. no problem for me.

The Temple of Love.
I have always loved it.
Specialy when it was touched by Ofra.
And now after so many years it was touched again by Lisa.
Not bad at all and I am happy I was at Amphi to hear it :D
Maybe this was all a one time thing .......
So lets enjoy the moment !
http://www.mydominionnl.com
A fanwebsite !
Gent, Eindhoven and Lokeren
Being645
Above the Chemist

My Dominion wrote:
lsind wrote:More and Lucretia should have been highlights too, but they are way too short when performed live these days. Feels like the boys stop halfway through what could have been fantastic performances of these masterpieces in my opinion
Yes, I woud like it too.
It would be great if they play the long versions of Lucreatia My Reflection and More :D

And to be honest I have never liked This Corrosion.
So If they are going to skipe it .. no problem for me.
Somewhat agree. A full version of Lucretia performed live would, IMHO, take some, err ... reflection, though ...

More is fine to me as it is now in this "flattened full burner" version ... :lol: ...
Of course, I fully adore the original long version but for me it may remain the way it is for a while.

And they also could add Still in this context and let go Dominion rather than This Corrosion ... ;D ...
mh
Above the Chemist

They don't even need to play the long version of Lucretia - just the standard 4/5 minutes (instead of four-fifths of a minute...!) That's what I loved most about NTTC when it came back into the set 2 years ago - it was subtly updated but remained largely intact.

TC has definitely been done to death by now; time for it to go, please (on the other hand, a "smoke break song" is always a handy thing to have ;D ). And if they're going to continue with Temple then playing the first half instead wouldn't be a bad idea.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

holy charlie foxtrot batman!

i can just about live with the faux Ofra wails on ToL, but TC was an abomination.
Back in time

Unfortunately I was not there so my opinion is based only on the YT videos.
Sorry, but this version is not for me. TC is not one of my favorite songs, but I enjoy it on every gig. Female vocal is maybe a nice change from the usual "we-all-know-what-will-be-played" setlist, but too slow and Lisa's vocal obviously does not hit my neurons.
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

It would be great if they play the long versions of Lucreatia My Reflection
Only if one of the guys pick up the bass guitar. The synth bass simply sucks for the songs with dominating base lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3EGCWxKdFE

I think they could do a neat version without expanding the crew.
centurionofprix

Maybe the Lucretia bassline would be simple enough for Eldritch to handle while singing.
Being645
Above the Chemist

centurionofprix wrote:Maybe the Lucretia bassline would be simple enough for Eldritch to handle while singing.
... :lol: ... if the bass is not too heavy ...
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

woooohoooo!!!!!

:von: our dear is wearing a black shirt! hooray for the fashion sense, probably been shopping with chris! but thank the stars! at long last something nice to look at!

tell me dear inside-followers... is our fearless leader married yet? i know he had a girlfriend that was serious enough to engage to. but has the date been set?

if not, i still volunteer my shopping tastes with the man to be something delicious we look at at live gigs. chris obviously has much more on his task list than to do shopping with von.

if he is married already...please married wife... go out shopping with your man. it's a must thingy-me-job that he needs & i can help. trust me.
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity