17.05.2014 Prague Archa Theatre

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2014
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

panzerfaust wrote:
ww23 wrote:I seriously don't understand why people must get their not very interesting hate opinion out everywhere, be it on blabbermouth or here in this forum; writing in expletives ('c**nt') and being generally rude and wanting to stab people in the neck.
is this your stuck in the 80ies Goth fantasy?
open up and be an open mind, you must surely have an easy life when things like that bother you...
lol. keep on living in your idealistic world.

i payed almost 40 euros and i wanted something in reward. all i got was a bucketload of pisstake.

its 2014 not 1982, so how come doctor avalanche beats sound like a 1hour work of a random teenager in fruitly loops . hmm?
I first thought, skip it, but now I think, I should remind you that being around for quite some years, that there were enough comments on and vids from previous gigs of this and last years tours, so what did you expect :?: :?: :?:

The Sisters today are different from 1982 or whatever year but that's not necessarily bad, it just sounds different. I liked the old times very much (and I have seen them live in 1984 and 1985) and yes, they were somehow better then IMO, BUT nowadays I'm happy, that the Sisters are still going on tour and we have a chance to see them live, party and meet each other. :wink:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

Not to forget, I would be thankful if we could come back to a less emotional discussion, especially, with less vulgar language around here ...
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Victim of Circumstance wrote:Not to forget, I would be thankful if we could come back to a less emotional discussion, especially, with less vulgar language around here ...
Aye, seconded, thank you.
I am all for analysis and discussion but really this is just gettting so petty and awful. The boys are lovely - they chat with you when they meet you, they are resposive to fans, they help out, Chris in particular is doing so much for Sisters as a brand, how in all conscience can you write such down-right nasty stuff about them.
Cheers lads
;D
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Victim of Circumstance wrote:Not to forget, I would be thankful if we could come back to a less emotional discussion, especially, with less vulgar language around here ...
Well said! :notworthy:
The Chancer Corporation
Pista
Cureboi

seconded thirded & fourthed.
:notworthy: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

A tuppence worth of 'insight' from my side re the bad sound they seem to struggle with the last years...

It is one of the reasons why I do not spend money anymore on a Sisters live concert. I will happily play their cd's and LP's, but won't give money for a show that I know beforehand will be mediocre at best.

What I *think* might be the problem is the fact that a sound guy has to balance up a thudding drum and bass machine, and two rawk guitarists.

Like him or not, but Chris' vocals are way stronger than Eldo's these days, so you have all strong elements you can put in a mix very well.

And them you have this mumbling, howling, whispering, reverb-laden Ghost in the Fog that also happens to be the frontman and well, he NEEDS to be heard or some people will look at you very angry when you are the sound guy.

It is very difficult to do.

I would love a live bassist, but pulling the bass out of the Doctor backings will not solve the problem that is Eldo's voice these days.

Just compare. And love the strength of voice that Eldo had, back then, and now is gone... :|

Sisters 2014

Sisters 1990

(ok, you have to crank up the volume for the 1990 one, but that's not because of the mix ;) )

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

yeah, but today you got much more smoke and light show is better - you can't have everything. :wink: :P
plus, 1990 was 240k cigarets ago.
Joy

To be there and see it live is one thing, and to listen to it on all kinds of (non-professional) vids is another –that’s completely different. If I get it right, you haven’t seen them on this tour.
A youtube vid or sound record never reflects the atmosphere of a live show.
The whole atmosphere and the performance together… that must be experienced there. That’s why our opinions are different. Which is no problem, as I don’t want to convince you about anything.
When you are there and you are overwhelmed by the atmosphere, you just don’t think of making comparisons and analyses. It is certainly easier to do subsequently, sitting in front of a monitor.
I still love them and I’m f.cking happy that they haven’t stopped, that they go ahead with the changes of times are not stuck in the past. I’m glad that Von has a good time and that has been completely shown on the gigs so far.
That’s my personal opinion but I understand and have respect for others who may feel otherwise.
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

God, I get so sick of all the whiners.
I have no problems with today Sisters at all, I know exactly what I get, and I decide myself to pay for it. But have to read all the goddamn whining from idiots on this forum is really starting to wear me out.
Von does not have the same voice as he did 20 years ago, who the hell does?
The original members are not in the band anymore, who cares? It is a different band, it is a different time. Life goes on you know.
Personally I stopped going to see Sisters in the 90's with the line-up that looked bored and annoyed at being there. I came back when Chris joined and we got a band that liked to be on stage. If the band on stage is not enjoying it, how can we in the audience be expected to have a good time?
Ben and Chris seems to love to play with the Sisters and it seems to have gotten Von happy again. What could possible be wrong with that? I will go and see then overtime I can, and I will enjoy it, because I am not expecting Wake.
Sorry to be ranting, but my god the whining!!
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing
Izzy HaveMercy

I've seen my share of Sisters gigs, Joy :) Not this year, no, because the former years they just didn't do it for me anymore, for the above reasons.

I go to a lot of gigs (as someone stated years ago 'there are other bands available' :lol:) and when I did a couple of rock and metal concerts prior to a Sisters gig, I always felt a bit sad after the Sisters concert. There is so much MORE to do with the band, but well... it all sounds very muddy and in a way, uninspired and a bit amateuristic. And I'm glad Chris is in the band, he livens things up a bit, but the rest of the band is just shuffling away or standing still and... well... there's nothing to see or do on stage that keeps me interested.

But that is just my opinion. Enjoy yourselves at the gigs! :D

EDIT: I promise, Il Duce, that was the last 'whine', I'll try.

IZ.
mandrake
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
And them you have this mumbling, howling, whispering, reverb-laden Ghost in the Fog that also happens to be the frontman and well, he NEEDS to be heard or some people will look at you very angry when you are the sound guy.

It is very difficult to do.

I would love a live bassist, but pulling the bass out of the Doctor backings will not solve the problem that is Eldo's voice these days.

Just compare. And love the strength of voice that Eldo had, back then, and now is gone... :|

Sisters 2014

Sisters 1990

(ok, you have to crank up the volume for the 1990 one, but that's not because of the mix ;) )

IZ.
Well said..and I agree with you. As I have also said before, after 2000 something changed, his voice, his appearance. Even gigs in 1996 / 1998 (with crappy bootleg sound) are much better vocal wise. You get a chill..
I agree, we need a live bass, less backing vocals, more Eldritch vocals...But methinks those days are over. So I play the bootlegs, I listen to the studio songs I grew up with and gave me shelter and I remember the power the Sisters had. Anyway,Eldritch is now 55, he may retire...It's ok, we set you free from the reigns of a horrible misunderstood past. The G word shall no longer be uttered. You will now be Andrew Taylor..
Joy

:) So there is no problem here. The one who loves the past, should listen to and watch the old records. The one who loves today’s Sisters too, should enjoy the present and – I hope – the future tours.
The essence is that the no one should disparage the other’s taste and then all will be fine. :)
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
Izzy HaveMercy

Alrighty! ;D

And I just downloaded the München gig to give it one more try! :D

IZ.
mandrake

Joy wrote::) So there is no problem here. The one who loves the past, should listen to and watch the old records. The one who loves today’s Sisters too, should enjoy the present and – I hope – the future tours.
The essence is that the no one should disparage the other’s taste and then all will be fine. :)
:notworthy: :notworthy: Hear Hear!
mandrake

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Alrighty! ;D

And I just downloaded the München gig to give it one more try! :D

IZ.
But of course, same here :)
panzerfaust

glad you guys agreed that being emotional is ok when its positive, but when its negative it has to be in form of analysis and comparison.
clap clap.

thought i can express my disappointment, nope.

if chris would ever read my post he would surely deduce that comment belongs to a certain part in a certain context and is a clear exageration. but hey, he didnt did he.

you got your scapegoat now, be happy.
Sita

Ugh do everyone a favour, next time you feel an "emotion" of that sort coming, go see a doctor, or at least keep the thoughts to yourself.

Hope you don't express your "emotions" that way towards the people in your real life.

And the lame old "it was just exaggeration/metaphor/whatever" excuse makes verbal abuse no less appalling.
mh
Above the Chemist

Chris did read your post. I would have thought that was obvious.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pista
Cureboi

Hence the term "bell-end"
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Sita wrote:Ugh do everyone a favour, next time you feel an "emotion" of that sort coming, go see a doctor, or at least keep the thoughts to yourself.

Hope you don't express your "emotions" that way towards the people in your real life.

And the lame old "it was just exaggeration/metaphor/whatever" excuse makes verbal abuse no less appalling.
Exactly.

And panzerfaust:
Yeah, given the assumption that emotion is nothing but upwelling bulbs bursting on the surface of an effervescing soul ...
clap clap, you've got a point ... though of no avail until further confirmation through appropriate action ...

But hey, you instead make us aware, that you're decided to go on in this format.
Have fun... :urff: ...
LyanvisAberrant

Hey, while we're on the subject of Sound and live bass, can anyone give me a clear answer as to why they actually... don't have a bassist? I mean, I would gladly take the job and play with them and even pay for the costs, if they provided the equipment which I simply don't have :lol:
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
H. Blackrose

Why would they hire a bass player when the Doktor does the job for free?
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

we (probably) never got that answer, but i can guess that:
1) less human factor - less conflicts;
2) it's easier during tours (more space in tourbus, less hotel rooms to book);
3) it reduce costs.

but we can ask: why there's no live keyboards?
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for the full gig vid. :D

All I ever do now is forward to Crash And Burn and give it numerous listens.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
centurionofprix

I'd speculate it is to the Doktor's advantage that, since he also gets to play the drums, he doesn't mind the bass guitar being turned down in the mix if required. He is reputed to have a good understanding with Eldritch, as well, due to their long partnership.