2020-03-08. O2 Academy, Bristol UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2020
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12714
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 65,14%

iesus wrote:The Sisters Of Mercy - I Will Call You (Bristol, 2020-03-08)
Another rec from MrBlonde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiFQpXp4VEo

Edit- Ingo's rec is 3.04 and Mr.Blonde's 3.20
and two bats :bat: :bat:
Wonderful (and integrated the second one) ... :D ... that sounds cool, hihi ... ;D ;D ;D ... :lol: ...
User avatar
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 776
Joined: 02 May 2006, 05:03
Location: Montreal
Contact:

iesus wrote:The Sisters Of Mercy - I Will Call You (Bristol, 2020-03-08)
Another rec from MrBlonde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiFQpXp4VEo

Edit- Ingo's rec is 3.04 and Mr.Blonde's 3.20
and two bats :bat: :bat:
:notworthy: :notworthy:

(It's almost like a sisters version of Never Let me Down Again from DM :innocent:)
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
User avatar
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill
Posts: 39
Joined: 28 Nov 2005, 17:46
Location: Sunny South Wales

Great night in Bristol tonight - news songs sounded fantastic. Took the kids (11 and 13) for their first indoor concert and they had a top nite out - met lots of friendly folks.

Just got back home to South Wales and still buzzing. Going to work my way through all the videos that you wonderful people have posted.
exxile
Road Kill
Posts: 7
Joined: 28 Jun 2004, 19:59

Here we go:

I Will Call You *
https://youtu.be/2nHP4MVDIEg

But Genevieve
https://youtu.be/I_wnyaO2eGU

Marian
https://youtu.be/UyTiZTzB0ZM

Black Sail
https://youtu.be/iTsx9rMlMbM


* The first few seconds are missing, because I was not prepared for a new song right at the beginning of the gig. ;) MrBlonde‘s version is complete.
User avatar
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 5247
Joined: 22 Apr 2003, 23:51
Location: The North.

exxile wrote:Here we go:

I Will Call You *
https://youtu.be/2nHP4MVDIEg

But Genevieve
https://youtu.be/I_wnyaO2eGU

Marian
https://youtu.be/UyTiZTzB0ZM

Black Sail
https://youtu.be/iTsx9rMlMbM


* The first few seconds are missing, because I was not prepared for a new song right at the beginning of the gig. ;) MrBlonde‘s version is complete.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12714
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 65,14%

... :D :D :D ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

The new songs are wonderful ... ;D ... Thank you all so much for the uploads ... ;D ...
User avatar
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed
Posts: 7871
Joined: 24 Mar 2005, 00:01
Location: above the chemist
Contact:

DomConway wrote: Enjoyed the support too, right up my droney soundscape alley.
Oh wow! I'd completely forgotten about A.A. Williams. ;D
Coolio Big-lazy-ass! 8)
"...a rigjht hand is a horrible thing to lose...."
:bat:
User avatar
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill
Posts: 39
Joined: 28 Nov 2005, 17:46
Location: Sunny South Wales

DomConway wrote:Enjoyed the support too, right up my droney soundscape alley.
Agree completely. There was definitely a post-rock vibe going on there. Reminded me quite a bit of Chelsea Wolfe, although more cerebral and less visceral. Picked up the clear vinyl album and a CD on the way out, and my other half was so smitten that she bought a t-shirt. So, yeah, we thought she was great.
User avatar
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed
Posts: 7871
Joined: 24 Mar 2005, 00:01
Location: above the chemist
Contact:

But Genevieve & I Will Call You are fabulous; just like Show Me, Better Reptile, Instrumental & Kickline last tour. The jury's out 'Still' on the Black Sail but l've only listened to it a few hundred times and sometimes these things have to grow on me.

Regardless of all that : what a fucking AWESOME time to be a Sisters fan! :von:
"...a rigjht hand is a horrible thing to lose...."
:bat:
User avatar
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed
Posts: 7871
Joined: 24 Mar 2005, 00:01
Location: above the chemist
Contact:

thank you very much to all especially the tapers/filmers/pfotographers and uploading motherfucker motherfuckers! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :von:
"...a rigjht hand is a horrible thing to lose...."
:bat:
User avatar
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill
Posts: 39
Joined: 28 Nov 2005, 17:46
Location: Sunny South Wales

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:Regardless of all that : what a fucking AWESOME time to be a Sisters fan! :von:
Good innit! :D Best thing is, they look to be enjoying it as much as we are.
User avatar
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed
Posts: 7871
Joined: 24 Mar 2005, 00:01
Location: above the chemist
Contact:

Phantasmagoria wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:Regardless of all that : what a fucking AWESOME time to be a Sisters fan! :von:
Good innit! :D Best thing is, they look to be enjoying it as much as we are.
Can't wait for tuesday...THAT'S TOMORROW NOW!!! :von:
"...a rigjht hand is a horrible thing to lose...."
:bat:
User avatar
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill
Posts: 39
Joined: 28 Nov 2005, 17:46
Location: Sunny South Wales

Was good to hear my old favourites The Lords of the New Church get a play on the pre-show mixtape too. Alongside a bit of Boney M. Ah, that could only happen at a Sisters gig... :von:
User avatar
mandrake
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 257
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 20:07
Contact:

New songs do sound if they are written for this incarnation. Allthough I will call sounds like a showcase for Ben... Anyhoo,new songs..before we know it will be 75% new songs ;)
User avatar
DomConway
Filth
Posts: 389
Joined: 13 Aug 2002, 01:00
Location: a place that glimmers

mandrake wrote:New songs do sound if they are written for this incarnation. Allthough I will call sounds like a showcase for Ben... Anyhoo,new songs..before we know it will be 75% new songs ;)
Hope we’re not gonna lose too many of the older new songs, be gutted not to hear Crash & Burn, Summer or Romeo Down again.
the only thing to fear is fear itself
User avatar
mandrake
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 257
Joined: 27 Feb 2006, 20:07
Contact:

Romeo Down should have been on an EP in the 90ies!
User avatar
euphoria
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1107
Joined: 11 Mar 2003, 19:39
Location: Berlin

mandrake wrote:Romeo Down should have been on an EP in the 90ies!
Yes, and many others as well.

But what we have now is a hell lot better than the previous 10-15 years of ever more nostalgia and ever less new material. I would never have expected this to happen if somebody would have asked me just two years ago.

Counting Instrumental and Kickline, they have played seven(!) new songs within a year, I still can't believe it :notworthy: :D
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12714
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 65,14%

The old new songs would have given a great album ... and could still be made into one ... :) ... ;D ...

But this is the time of the new songs... ;D ;D ;D ... hah, they sound wonderful already and will develop ... absolutely pleasing ... ;D ;D ;D ...
User avatar
Swinnow
Overbomber
Posts: 2557
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 08:51
Location: Self-isolating from feral Guinea Pigs

Ahh the joy of wishful thinking. To my ears only Show Me approaches the level of the previous unreleased batch of songs. There is also the slight nightmare of letting Eldritch near a studio to tinker.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
User avatar
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 114
Joined: 07 Aug 2005, 21:15
Location: A small planet near Betelgeuse. Namely Sweden.

My two cents:
I don’t think the older unreleased stuff (Romeo Down, Summer, etc) will ever be recorded/released. I don’t think they could. The reason is very simple - Von can’t sing those songs anymore. While still baritone, those songs are written in a key that is out of reach for him these days.
The new songs however, are clearly written with this in mind. The vocal arrangements are much more suited for Vons current vocal register.
I think proper studio versions of the new stuff could sound amazing, vocals and all.
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12714
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 65,14%

Yeah, that is a fact. War On Drugs would surely be beyond what is possible today,
and after all, there are impressive live recordings of most of these songs, and compiled
into collections. We all have them. So, there's no real need to record them in a studio.

Show Me has marked the beginning last year, and Better Reptile ... now But Genevieve,
Black Sail, I Will Call You ... to me that looks consistent ... with that wonderful Instrumental
perfectly adding up to them. Kickline ... we will see if anything/what becomes of it. At least,
the sound is great and so is the title. Anyway, I like these current nuances of what clearly is
The Sisters of Mercy. Took some time to get there, but hell ... ;D ...
User avatar
DomConway
Filth
Posts: 389
Joined: 13 Aug 2002, 01:00
Location: a place that glimmers

Being645 wrote:Yeah, that is a fact. War On Drugs would surely be beyond what is possible today,
and after all, there are impressive live recordings of most of these songs, and compiled
into collections. We all have them. So, there's no real need to record them in a studio.

Show Me has marked the beginning last year, and Better Reptile ... now But Genevieve,
Black Sail, I Will Call You ... to me that looks consistent ... with that wonderful Instrumental
perfectly adding up to them. Kickline ... we will see if anything/what becomes of it. At least,
the sound is great and so is the title. Anyway, I like these current nuances of what clearly is
The Sisters of Mercy. Took some time to get there, but hell ... ;D ...
Yeah absolutely true, all of that. If we all keep yelling "one more album" at the end of each gig, maybe it will eventually have an effect :lol:
the only thing to fear is fear itself
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12714
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 65,14%

Eventually a video of Lucretia from this tour ... ;D ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coZEKqnoirw


and No Time To Cry, well ... two versions ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbPlzYiBVzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8fHFhjOAQ

And one of A.A.WILLIAMS ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCXti1K8Nq0
User avatar
Phantasmagoria
Road Kill
Posts: 39
Joined: 28 Nov 2005, 17:46
Location: Sunny South Wales

DomConway wrote:Yeah absolutely true, all of that. If we all keep yelling "one more album" at the end of each gig, maybe it will eventually have an effect :lol:
Call me crazy, but it's going to happen, innit? I'm really starting to believe that! Fool that I am. I'm a glutton for punishment.

But if it doesn’t happen now, then it never will. I haven’t seen Andrew look so happy on stage for decades.
User avatar
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed
Posts: 7871
Joined: 24 Mar 2005, 00:01
Location: above the chemist
Contact:

TheGoodSon wrote:My two cents:
I don’t think the older unreleased stuff (Romeo Down, Summer, etc) will ever be recorded/released. I don’t think they could. The reason is very simple - Von can’t sing those songs anymore. While still baritone, those songs are written in a key that is out of reach for him these days.
The new songs however, are clearly written with this in mind. The vocal arrangements are much more suited for Vons current vocal register.
I think proper studio versions of the new stuff could sound amazing, vocals and all.
Spot on. which means we need to hold him to that other unfulfilled promise: the live DVD. we know that excellent quality versions of all the older unreleased songs recortde when he COULD sing them in thje right key exist a la the official site version of Suzanne. Hells ive got great versions of them all so the band must have. that would do me.
"...a rigjht hand is a horrible thing to lose...."
:bat:
Post Reply