Baktapak Interview Picture Disc Set

Have you established a good reputation at HL and got some Sisters stuff to sell or trade with the community? Or are you searching for that elusive ultra rare live bootleg from 1988? Ever had a bad experience with a trader on Ebay? Let us all know here. Outdated threads will be purged over time.

Warning: Newcomers posting here first will be treated like spammers. At least have the courtesy to say hello in General Chat first...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i have just been given these as a gift by a good friend. i haven't seen them before and wondered how rare they were. also, does anyone know which interview is on them? i'm told they've never been played before and if its an interview ive heard before then i wont put them to the needle unnecessarily. CLICK-4-PIC
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Dan
Overbomber

It's an interview with Andy & Patricia recorded in London in Dec 1987. The 4-disc version is the same interview as the 12" version (although the 12" version is slightly more complete).
Brad
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I always get a kick out of bootleg vinyl that is claimed to be "limited edition".

Spoiler alert, they are all "limited edition".
Dan
Overbomber

Interview of Swedish P3 FM radio with Andrew Eldritch and Patricia Morrison
on 24th August 1988 shortly after the release of Floodland
Oh, is it? My dating of Dec'87 was based on the content of the interview... Floodland having only just been released and one single (This Corrosion). A later date is possible though, I guess.

Out of interest where does the Aug'88 date come from?

It's definitely recorded in London though (the opening conversation about London and "Patricia has a place here"), and it doesn't sound like radio. It sounds like a journalists interview (tape recorder on the table) recorded in a normal room with normal acoustics, sounds of cars going past outside etc.

That page reminds me I also have a 7" picture disc with approx half of the interview on it. They really milked that one!
eastmidswhizzkid

Brad wrote:I always get a kick out of bootleg vinyl that is claimed to be "limited edition".

Spoiler alert, they are all "limited edition".
well obviously. the only time i dont take that with a pinch of salt is when theyre numbered, and only then with ones that are known to be genuinely limited to that pressing run.

eastmidswhizzkid

i only posted here because i couldnt find it in the wiki. in the bootleg vinyl index there isnt a mention of interview discs. :?

eastmidswhizzkid

anyway, i suspected it may be the same interview as on the picture 12", which i already have. cool, it can be hung on my wall without having to be played.

Being645
Above the Chemist

Dan wrote:
Oh, is it? My dating of Dec'87 was based on the content of the interview... Floodland having only just been released and one single (This Corrosion). A later date is possible though, I guess.

It's definitely recorded in London though (the opening conversation about London and "Patricia has a place here"), and it doesn't sound like radio. It sounds like a journalists interview (tape recorder on the table) recorded in a normal room with normal acoustics, sounds of cars going past outside etc.

That page reminds me I also have a 7" picture disc with approx half of the interview on it. They really milked that one!
They really did ... :lol: ...

I can't remember where I got the August '88 date from, except for a mention @ultimatesistersguide.
Still, this doesn't necessarily mean it was not recorded in London or in a normal room with cars outside ... only Patricia is not mentioned ... :? ...

Do you have any idea who else could have taken this interview? It is important that all info in the SistersWiki is as correct as ever possible!

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:...
i only posted here because i couldnt find it in the wiki. in the bootleg vinyl index there isnt a mention of interview discs. :?
Ah, thank you for the hint! ... adjusted ... :D ...
eastmidswhizzkid

you're welcome Sabine. 8)

as for the interview, isnt it also (in part) on the spiral scratch single and also the red vinyl 7" boot?

Dan
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
Dan wrote:

They really did ... :lol: ...

I can't remember where I got the August '88 date from, except for a mention @ultimatesistersguide.
Still, this doesn't necessarily mean it was not recorded in London or in a normal room with cars outside ... only Patricia is not mentioned ... :? ...

Do you have any idea who else could have taken this interview? It is important that all info in the SistersWiki is as correct as ever possible!

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:...
Ah, thank you for the hint! ... adjusted ... :D ...
Well it wouldn't have been listed in bootlegs because technically the baktabak discs aren't bootlegs. They were sold in the big name record stores. At the time someone told me the reason they could get away with it is because the copyright laws treat music and interviews differently. There was a whole heap of baktabak interview discs and a lot of them were what I'd call journalist interviews - a tape recorder on the table to record a long rambling interview so the best bits can be transcribed later into a few paragraphs, and with poor quality sound. I had a Metallica one that was abysmal. Rather than bootlegs they'd probably be called "grey area".

As for that Aug 1988 date... PIB's site lists the 24th Aug 88 interview as being with Andrew Eldritch & Wayne Hussey. Obviously their interviews would have been recorded seperately, but it's likely to be a different interview.

The baktabak interviewer does have a "foreign" accent so Swedish is a possibility I suppose, or any other country on the mainland where the band is popular. There's also a Swedish interview from something called "Radio Bank" dated 3rd August 1988 but that's a different interview. Is it likely he was so popular in Sweden that he did THREE interviews that month? Two is surprising enough.

I'd go with a date closer Dec'87, perhaps Nov'87 even. The interviewer asks him about the credits for the album because he only has a cassette copy. I took that to mean he had a pre-release copy on cassette (rather than a naughty copy where someone had taped the album for him!)
There's a comment where the interviewer says he likes the song Lucretia but why wasn't it the single and Von replies something about This Corrosion being more ridiculous.
Then there's a comment where he's been told someone in the industry has predicted that the album will enter the charts at number 4... but he doesn't go on to say what number it actually entered the charts. If he knew it he'd have said... because if you had a prediction you'd want to say how close the prediction was.

So I'd say the interview was recorded (in London) slightly before or slightly after Floodland was released, but before it'd entered the charts. So November 1987 then.
Being645
Above the Chemist

OK, I've adjusted the info:
Source
This source is, however, not confirmed. Other assumptions are that this interview
possibly took place in London in November or December 1987.