12. 08. 83 Camden Palace

Unknown songs and demos, who wrote what, who sang what, the usual biographies, discography gubbins, photos of Eldritch with no sunglasses, etc, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda....
pikkrong
Overbomber

My friends, I have a stupid question:
Does any of you really have this recording?
Why do I ask? Because I got recently a copy (from one quite known and very friendly trader) which had to be this one but comparing it to 11. 08. 83 Electric Ballroom boots I found out it was actually the same (only divided into separate tracks in a different way) :urff:
Sorry if I started this topic in a wrong place - maybe it should be in the Trading Chat? Or Weeding? I wished to... :wink: :innocent:
taylor
Slight Overbomber

sisters play 2 separate concerts at Cadmen the 11.08.83

one at 9pm (11.08.83)
kiss-anaconda-alice-burn-emma-valentine-heartland
adrenochrome-flrorshow-electric (both audience & Mixing desk)

one late in the night (so was already the 12.08.83
emma-anaconda-burn (cut)-(cut) heartland-valentine
floorshow-gimme shelter
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Hi Mr P. Happy New Year :D

my little old website has both listed. there are two versions of the 11th and one of the 12th.

My understanding is that they came on stage @ 5.00pm, whilst it was in pub mode - camden palace, and then again @ 3.00am when it was in club mode - the electric ballroom.

as to the date, i prefer 11th early and late, but it confuses the hell outta me too.

the late night set is about 1/2 hour @ 7 songs, and the early set is about 3/4 hr - 10 songs.

hope this helps? :wink:
Goths have feelings too
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

look up ;D
Goths have feelings too
pikkrong
Overbomber

But I still liked to ask some (more) stupid questions:
1. So it was the same venue???
2. Which of these versions are in the usual trading circulation?
3. So the show where that funny man tries to pronounce "Einstürzende Neubauten" is the early one?
the-happening
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Camden Palace and The Camden Electric Ballroom are two completely different venues. Camden Palace is near Mornington Crescent tube and was(is?) owned by Steve Strange (vocalist with Visage) the Electric Ballrom is right next to Camden Town tube. During the early 80's both venues were very seedy and smoky and both were great venues.
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
pikkrong
Overbomber

Thank all of you :notworthy:
And thanks in advance for the further comments about these gigs and recordings :innocent:
Dan
Overbomber

Although people think they have 2 sources for the early show they're both from the same source (just compare them and listen out for sounds close to the microphone and you'll see they're the same source), one is just much better quality than the other. The "mixing desk" recording isn't, it's just a very good audience recording.

Some versions of the late night set last around 35 minutes and it runs very slow. Once speed-corrected it should last around 30 minutes.
taylor
Slight Overbomber

>The "mx" recording isn't, it's just a very good audience recording.

yes you're right, noticed by me too
some for other gigs claimed mx, is the same
allfear

The Camden Palace (where the All Living Fear stranger to none video was filmed!!! :) ) is now called Koko and is reported to have one of the Best PA systems in the UK it also has been called the 'Music Machine' and if you remember the TV serise called 'The Paradise Club' staring leslie Grantham (Dirty Den) It was all filmed in there.

Are you sure that the Mx version of the ballroom gig is audience? sounds like desk to me, and its one of the shows i lasten to the most, just love the cheesy compare at the end, reminds me of the Darts!!! (Sport not band)

Matt
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Camden Palace and The Camden Electric Ballroom are two completely different venues. Camden Palace is near Mornington Crescent tube and was(is?) owned by Steve Strange (vocalist with Visage) the Electric Ballrom is right next to Camden Town tube. During the early 80's both venues were very seedy and smoky and both were great venues.
Now you poeple - with the best intentions - managed to confuse me totally:

1. So there were 2 different gigs on the 11. 8. 83, of which the later one was so much later one can consider it as happening on the 12. 8. 83?

2. Of these gigs exist 3 recordings, two different of the earlier gig, one of the later?

3. the setlists of the two gigs are as mentioned in the post further up the page?

4. The Sisters played the same venue twice that night or two different venues? "Camden" for both gigs refers to the area, but only for one gig also to the venue (=> Camden Palace)?

Maybe I need a drawing, but thank you for your patience and help. :notworthy: :kiss:

Eva.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

1 yes
2 possibly. Dan says up there that he thinks the two "different" versions are from the same original source, but differenty quality copies.
3 yes
4 two venues

;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Eva

Thank you, now even I got it...:-)
You can't fix stupid.
Dan
Overbomber

Eva wrote:Now you poeple - with the best intentions - managed to confuse me totally:
Basically it's 2 different gigs, but both on the same date. If anyone still has any advertising/posters/ticket stubs for the gigs they'd both say 11th, but the second one started so late (after midnight) that technically it's the 12th, and it causes less confusion if we call it the 12th. (It's supposed to cause less confusion but it looks like it hasn't!)
Eva

Thanks people for the explanations. But as now I try to find out which of my several copies - supposedly of both dates - are of which date I'd like to know: If anybody of you has both and is dead certain which is which, can you tell me: are there different Von-comments on the different gigs or are the comments the same?

Thanks again, Eva.
You can't fix stupid.
Dan
Overbomber

Eva wrote:are there different Von-comments on the different gigs or are the comments the same?
There's 2 different gigs so obviously the comments are different. Forget the comments - the tracklists are different. Just look at the tracklist and you'll know what gig it is.
Eva

Yes, I have the two tracklists as you have posted them previously. But it could be that the recording I have, which is supposed to be 12. 8. 83, is 11. 8. 83 with the songs cut together in a different running order. That's why I asked. So if anybody has fool-proof comments with which one can identify the gigs I'd be happy to be told.

Cheers.
You can't fix stupid.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ahem.

8)

just received this email from a chap called martin, who is a friend of mr marx, in which he settles the "when & where" debate rather defintively :)
Martin wrote:[Gary] kindly gave me the address of your website myheartland. Whilst browsing
this, I noted a debate amongst your correspondents, concerning two Sisters gigs
from the same evening. I have an excellent recollection of these events...[it
was my turn to drive the van and I was thus completely sober.]

The first performance of the evening was at the Electric Ballroom, where The
Sisters, who were supporting The Virgin Prunes, commenced their set at about 9pm.
The second show, at The Camden Palace, did indeed take place after midnight and
was thus the 12th August.
so there :!: :wink:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
pikkrong
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:ahem.

8)

just received this email from a chap called martin, who is a friend of mr marx, in which he settles the "when & where" debate rather defintively :)
Martin wrote:[Gary] kindly gave me the address of your website myheartland. Whilst browsing

Sisters, who were supporting The Virgin Prunes, commenced their set at about 9pm.
:notworthy: :notworthy:
Dan
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:ahem.

8)

Isn't that what some of us have been saying all along.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I was at the Electric Ballroom gig when they supported the Virgin Prunes. Gig was fairly low-key but the recording is good - bought it soon after the concert on cassette - always seemed like a fair representation to me. I remember the reviews of the gig being a bit weird about the Sisters - they didn't really fit with the art-school weirdness of the Virgin Prunes, but it was pretty clear that of the two bands, it was the Sisters who were going places!
It was the first time I'd heard the Reptile House material live - amazing.
Drsisters

Necro thread warning :wink:

Seems like the bootleggers of camden was on the move the that evning.

from 11.08.83 London, Electric Ballrooom
I have three different versions, audience sounds different on all three.

1 complete with introduction of the band and outro when the band left the stage.
1 complete without intro and outro after body electric.
1 incomplete that starts with half off Emma.

from 12.08.83 I only seen one source around.
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
spiggymr7
Amphetamine Filth

Some information about these two concerts here: https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... ght=london .