Post LIKES feature

For you to give feedback to the Heartland moderators. Wish lists, fault reports, etc. You may get an answer, you may not. As in all things, it largely depends on how nicely you ask the people in charge... You're welcome.
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Hey forum architects, I wonder if the topic of likes/thumbs up feature for posts has ever been discussed. It’s something that is used on GearSlutz.com that I really like.

Sometimes I agree with the sentiment of a post but don’t really have anything more to add than “yes I agree” and I see little point in wasting readers scrolling/reading time with such banality.

I know there is the danger of the Facebook popularity contest like me like me, and one may argue that it promotes passive engagement with the site rather than active discussion. But I think everyone here are big boys and girls and mature enough behave accordingly.

If that is something that is even possible within the construct of the forum software then I put forward my vote for it

Cheers
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

I wondered about something like that myself, quite a few times tbh.

I agree with you in that they can be a nice way of adding a stamp of approval when you don’t necessarily have anything else to contribute. But as you say, they can also reduce engagement.

I’m sure there will be a plug-in or 2 to add that sort of functionality to the forum.

Let me look into it in the New Year, and weigh up the pros and cons.

Once I’ve got a couple of options I’m comfortable with, I’ll post something on here for folks to see and discuss. We could maybe do a poll or something like that to let people vote on the feature.

Thanks for the feedback @DJElectricDaddy 👍
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Awesome. You are, as the say, the man, the main dude, the boss hoss with no moss

Okay I’ll quit now
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning