nine while nine

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

has to be in everyone's top 10 doesn't it?

..but i was musing over the song at the weekend

9 * 9 = 81

the year it all started because of failed relationship (i think)

obsessive saddo or something in it. Discuss :razz: :von:

Oh and whilst i was searching -

http://www.timelord.co.uk/fiction/alter ... while9.htm

don't ask me :roll: i'm just letting you know it's there

<font size=1>[ This Message was edited by: paint it black on Sep 23, 2002 11:17am ]</font>
zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Obsessive saddos are the best :von:
DarkMagik
Road Kill

I thought Nine while Nine was about waiting from nine pm to nine am on a destiny that was never going to come.
"Jesus I beg of thee.
don't take my life,
return me to the womb,
from which I was torn,
birth is a sin,
and the punishment is death
I wish you had left me unborn."-Petrus Steele
paint it black

DarkMagik wrote:I thought Nine while Nine was about waiting from nine pm to nine am on a destiny that was never going to come.

Hi Dark, welcome to HL :D

So do most people, including me, but sometimes we like to look deeper, well especially if we're bored at work or summat ;D

Nine while nine also plays "very" closly on an eliot poem, I forget which right now........but trust me it does :von:
Goths have feelings too
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Yes, welcome to Heartland, DarkMagik! :)

Erm...sorry, but I've nothing to add to this thread... *Hides*
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Andy TG
Overbomber

I read (or perhaps heard*) an interview with VON :von: about the meaning of "Nine While Nine" - TS Eliot aside - the term "Nine While Nine" refers to a local saying in the Leeds/York (Yorkshire) area. Perhaps Quiffy can confirm this? :notworthy:

Von reffered to the term meaning that stores/shops (newsagents/off licences :eek: etc) are/were open 'Nine (am) While Nine (pm) - I guess that "Seven Eleven" (7am-11pm) would be todays equivalent.

@ Paint It Black - like the "Heathers" avatar
@ Quiffy Boy - What IS your new avatar all about?

*The interview MAY be the 7" one given away with Spiral Scratch back in 89? :innocent:
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

AndyTheGoth wrote:I read (or perhaps heard*) an interview with VON :von: about the meaning of "Nine While Nine" - TS Eliot aside - the term "Nine While Nine" refers to a local saying in the Leeds/York (Yorkshire) area. Perhaps Quiffy can confirm this? :notworthy:

Von reffered to the term meaning that stores/shops (newsagents/off licences :eek: etc) are/were open 'Nine (am) While Nine (pm) - I guess that "Seven Eleven" (7am-11pm) would be todays equivalent.

@ Quiffy Boy - What IS your new avatar all about?

*The interview MAY be the 7" one given away with Spiral Scratch back in 89? :innocent:
indeed, and not just in yakshire. they have it in lancashire too. in fact its a fairly common northern expression and means exactly waht you've said it does :)

my avatar? its the label of a record by a detroit techno "collective" known as underground resistance :)

i used to have quite a bit of stuff by them - very dark and very scary! darker than any current darkwave synthgoth rubbish... ;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Andy TG
Overbomber

@ Quiffy - I knew that you would know! BTW is it "Hertlands" first birthday within the next couple of days? Or am I being a Bloody G*** :-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
paint it black

[quote="Quiff Boy"][quote="AndyTheGoth"]I read (or perhaps heard*) an interview with VON :von: about the meaning of "Nine While Nine" - TS Eliot aside - the term "Nine While Nine" refers to a local saying in the Leeds/York (Yorkshire) area. Perhaps Quiffy can confirm this? :notworthy:

>>Cheers mate, one of my favs

see Eliot - the love song of j.alfred prufrock

and ignore AE he's full of s**t :P
Goths have feelings too
DarkMagik
Road Kill

The best imagery I have gotten from the song is the following sapping off my previous post but with more details.

The protagonist (Eldritch to some) is waiting for the train in the bitter cold.

Synopsis: In Victoria Station, Eldritch is awaiting for destiny, the vulnerable amour of the inevitable. An eternal love that never arrives, the bitter cold wind that continues to blow ever and anon the undeniable doubt of a future left in its wake. A tale of but a piece in a life (on singular moment frozen in time) hanging in the fragile mercy of incredulity...
"Jesus I beg of thee.
don't take my life,
return me to the womb,
from which I was torn,
birth is a sin,
and the punishment is death
I wish you had left me unborn."-Petrus Steele
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Where does Victoria Station come from? I always imagined it as a small, probably Northern station...walking through the rain, frost upon the window pane... conjures up somewhere small and lonely to me, deserted and desolate...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

MrChris wrote:Where does Victoria Station come from? I always imagined it as a small, probably Northern station...walking through the rain, frost upon the window pane... conjures up somewhere small and lonely to me, deserted and desolate...
that would be leeds whitehall then? ;)

http://www.railway-technology.com/proje ... oast5.html

:urff:
Big Si
School Bully

Quiff Boy wrote:
MrChris wrote:Where does Victoria Station come from? I always imagined it as a small, probably Northern station...walking through the rain, frost upon the window pane... conjures up somewhere small and lonely to me, deserted and desolate...

Not Manchester Victoria then? (on his way to see the Red Devils?)

http://www.describe-online.com/br/manch ... incham.htm

The last time I was there it was pretty grim, cold and deserted!
Last edited by Big Si on 01 Jul 2003, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Big Si wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:

Not Manchester Victoria then? (on his way to see the Red Devils?)

http://www.describe-online.com/br/manch ... incham.htm
the slough of despond? hmm, that would tie in with the desolate thing ;)
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

That would indeed sew the whole mystery up, Holmes. He was depressed because he was a red devil, having to share the train with all those southerners going to the match...
Chris

Big Si
School Bully

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Is that the boot called Gimme Shelter? (Newcastle Tiffanys?)
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Big Si
School Bully

Jim wrote:Is that the boot called Gimme Shelter? (Newcastle Tiffanys?)
Disguised in Black - http://www.sisterstrading.com/Bootlegs/ ... lack1.html
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Big Si wrote:
Jim wrote:Is that the boot called Gimme Shelter? (Newcastle Tiffanys?)
Disguised in Black - http://www.sisterstrading.com/Bootlegs/ ... lack1.html
That's the one! My version is called "Gimme Shelter", by "Great Dane" records in Finland (or somewhere) - it's really good quality.

It's the one where someone in the crowd yells "skinny bastard" and von goes "its not my fault, i was born looking like this"

Classic stuff.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Great gig, that. That's also the one where Von inexplicably says that A Rock and a Hard Place is 'a song about John Cale'. Does anyone know the story behind that?
Chris

Big Si
School Bully

MrChris wrote:Great gig, that. That's also the one where Von inexplicably says that A Rock and a Hard Place is 'a song about John Cale'. Does anyone know the story behind that?
And "Amphetamine Logic" is for the students in the balcony.....
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
khepri II
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

MrChris wrote:Great gig, that. That's also the one where Von inexplicably says that A Rock and a Hard Place is 'a song about John Cale'. Does anyone know the story behind that?
yes :von:
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
Jim
Slight Overbomber

khepri II wrote:
Don't be mean :evil:
khepri II

Jim wrote:
khepri II wrote:
okay, if you tell me why body and soul is about Christopher Marlowe!

Deal :roll:
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
khepri II

Jim wrote:
khepri II wrote:
@Jim

John Cale was a musician in the Velvet Underground and they used to cover a VU track :roll:

, or

try

The Soul of Patrick Lee :twisted:

if you're still stuck i might tell you more :kiss: :kiss: