Burn

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker
Posts: 4589
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 01:00

Quiff Boy wrote:
Master Margarita wrote:How can Burn be a seething political commentary? All the song says- again, and again- is set fire to the reptile house. And some kissing and crashing colours.

If you try hard enough, you can dust down a couple of literary references off the shelf in any song, but it doesn't make the song particularly seething or much of a commentary.

AE- Good for a few one liners, and the odd disjointed literary reference. And not a whole lot more. Discuss....but don't disagree, b/c you'll be wrong.
it's unusual for me to agree with the 1959 site's take on a set of lyrics, but this time i do. in part anyway.

given that the rest of the reptile house ep concerns itself with politics and "stateof the nation" type stuff, albeit shrouded in goth vagueries, obscurities, and a handful of standard eldritch drug references, it fits that the reptile house that needs burning down is the houses of parliament... to me anyway :)

:?:

but, yeah, i agree. you can read anything to anything if you try hard enough ;)

though i disagree with the comment on von's literary prowess. i think his lyrics work on a lot of different levels. most of them anyway. there are a few turkeys in there... :urff:
yeah, the reference to Catharine wheel

sort of points to martyrdom and more obviously to the gunpowder plot. Just a thought :von:
post edited to ensure GDPR compliance
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 109
Joined: 26 Jan 2003, 17:03
Location: London

The way I see it, AE was the boy at school who was never quite good enough to do anything really original himself, but sharp enough to put down other people's work / take the good bits from them and add a little from elsewhere.

Press forward on the eight track a few years, and you get A level English writing jazzed up with political, literary or other cultural / druggy references to make the words sound that bit cleverer and grown up. And, when challenged along the lines of "yes, but they don't really add up, do they?", a hasty retreat along the lines of "of course, we're taking the p*ss and the joke is on you because you don't understand".

This shuts most people up because, let's face it, compared to most pop music, AE's ramblings are Wittgenstein suffused with Dickens skating on a thin, but very, very, hard layer of pure Ellmore Leonard ice (or some other such tosh). But not this spanked monkey.

I like the Sisters muzak, and I respect the fact that AE has made the most of his talents to set himself up in a lifestyle he feels happy in, but I don't think he'll be winning any prizes in the village fair for creative writing. Or, for that matter, anywhere else. I hear he cooks a mean Turkey tho'.
When was the last time you cut the catwalk caviar?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker
Posts: 4589
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 01:00

and the fact that the key part is played backwards (something very topical at that time)

IMHO suggests subversive activity, collusion with the devil and so on
post edited to ensure GDPR compliance
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker
Posts: 4589
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 01:00

Master Margarita wrote:The way I see it, AE was the boy at school who was never quite good enough to do anything really original himself, but sharp enough to put down other people's work / take the good bits from them and add a little from elsewhere.

Press forward on the eight track a few years, and you get A level English writing jazzed up with political, literary or other cultural / druggy references to make the words sound that bit cleverer and grown up. And, when challenged along the lines of "yes, but they don't really add up, do they?", a hasty retreat along the lines of "of course, we're taking the p*ss and the joke is on you because you don't understand".

This shuts most people up because, let's face it, compared to most pop music, AE's ramblings are Wittgenstein suffused with Dickens skating on a thin, but very, very, hard layer of pure Ellmore Leonard ice (or some other such tosh). But not this spanked monkey.

I like the Sisters muzak, and I respect the fact that AE has made the most of his talents to set himself up in a lifestyle he feels happy in, but I don't think he'll be winning any prizes in the village fair for creative writing. Or, for that matter, anywhere else. I hear he cooks a mean Turkey tho'.

just because you can't see the joke, doesn't mean its not funny :von:
post edited to ensure GDPR compliance
User avatar
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator
Posts: 16686
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Lurking and fixing
Contact:

Master Margarita wrote:The way I see it, AE was the boy at school who was never quite good enough to do anything really original himself, but sharp enough to put down other people's work / take the good bits from them and add a little from elsewhere.

Press forward on the eight track a few years, and you get A level English writing jazzed up with political, literary or other cultural / druggy references to make the words sound that bit cleverer and grown up. And, when challenged along the lines of "yes, but they don't really add up, do they?", a hasty retreat along the lines of "of course, we're taking the p*ss and the joke is on you because you don't understand".
i think you are being a tad overly harsh on the boy, but yes, i do agree with most of what you say :|

what you call
A level English writing jazzed up with political, literary or other cultural / druggy references to make the words sound that bit cleverer and grown up
is what i think of as eldritch-ims - the kind of twists of the english language that he peppers most of his songs with (see the last half of "under the gun" for a clear example of this) - stuff that sounds very cool but is in fact devoid of much substance...

rampant punning, even self-referencial at points, sentences re-ordered purely for the aesthetic value.

he has always had a habit/knack of taking a commonly used phrase and changing the order/structure around, swap a couple of verbs and nouns around and hey! you have yet another "eldritch" lyric... all thats left is to insert a few literary references... ;D :innocent:

but isn't there a saying about it being the clever chap that creates and the genious that steals? :twisted:

either way, he's still a very cool chap isn't he? ;D

utterly bastard groovy :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker
Posts: 4589
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 01:00

anyway this thread is all bolloxed up

it has aspirations beyond its station.

Bring back the valentine thread
post edited to ensure GDPR compliance
User avatar
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git
Posts: 398
Joined: 07 Mar 2002, 00:00
Location: newcastle, now rice lake Wi

[quote="Quiff Boy]is what i think of as eldritch-ims - the kind of twists of the english language that he peppers most of his songs with (see the last half of "under the gun" for a clear example of this) - stuff that sounds very cool but is in fact devoid of much substance...

rampant punning, even self-referencial at points, sentences re-ordered purely for the aesthetic value.

he has always had a habit/knack of taking a commonly used phrase and changing the order/structure around, swap a couple of verbs and nouns around and hey! you have yet another "eldritch" lyric... all thats left is to insert a few literary references... ;D :innocent:
[/quote]

call me wrong, but wasn't it david bowie that started that in the 70's?¿?
++++ All those of you who have tears, prepare to shed them now... ++++
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 109
Joined: 26 Jan 2003, 17:03
Location: London

Indeed. To all of that.
When was the last time you cut the catwalk caviar?
User avatar
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator
Posts: 16686
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Lurking and fixing
Contact:

nearmethexperience wrote:call me wrong, but wasn't it david bowie that started that in the 70's?¿?
obsolutely... the thin white duke v the thin white puke ;) :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
User avatar
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian
Posts: 8841
Joined: 29 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Long Dark Forties
Contact:

Hey! This ain't half as boring as the Valentine thread!
Pleased I've started this one!

Indeed!
.
.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
.
.
User avatar
zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 573
Joined: 12 Apr 2002, 01:00
Location: Portugal

I'll say
User avatar
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1328
Joined: 10 May 2002, 01:00
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Are we having a serious chat about the lyrics this time so as Quiffy keeps his wig on?

(BTW shouldn't it be Sort of Spikey on the Top Boy?)
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
User avatar
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator
Posts: 16686
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Lurking and fixing
Contact:

"Sort of Spikey on the Top Boy"

strictly speaking, yes. but that's not half as catchy is it? :lol:

as the memory of my quiff fades further into the sunset i sometimes think about changing my name. for a time it seemed highly appropriate... :roll:

hmmm :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
User avatar
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1328
Joined: 10 May 2002, 01:00
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Did you loose a fight to the guy on the door at the Royal park?

"I am the Quiff of Leeds, fight me with spoons"

And now he has sole rights to be bequiffed in the Yorkshire area
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
User avatar
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator
Posts: 16686
Joined: 25 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Lurking and fixing
Contact:

Ben Gunn wrote:Did you loose a fight to the guy on the door at the Royal park?

"I am the Quiff of Leeds, fight me with spoons"

And now he has sole rights to be bequiffed in the Yorkshire area
in all honesty, the guy on the door, martin, has long since been the primary quiff wearer of leeds... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

he's an occaisional voyeur on here too. ;)

aren't you? ;D :twisted:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
User avatar
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed
Posts: 8216
Joined: 24 Mar 2005, 00:01
Location: WhizzWorld
Contact:

paint it black wrote:Burn me a fire in The Reptile House
Reptile refers to the elemental evil present in every human mind. "The Reptile House" is a building common in zoos where, obviously, the Reptiles are housed. I would like to think that this is a metaphor for the Houses of Parliament; given the extreme political nature of Valentine and Fix, torching the Palace of Westminster would seem a suitable conclusion.
now i thought i'd actually read/heard von say in an interview (ages and ages ago) that the reptile house was a metaphor for the houses of parliament but bugger me if i can find the actual interview...however it definitely is .
Master Margarita wrote:How can Burn be a seething political commentary? All the song says- again, and again- is set fire to the reptile house. And some kissing and crashing colours.
although this irritating member has left to be a twit elsewhere i would like to reply that burning down/blowing up/bombarding from orbit the houses of parliament would sufficiently suggest to the cunts who inhabit it an indication of the feelings of the perpetrators for it to qualify as "political comment". :von:
"Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knerw the words to every song.
'Did my singing please you?'
'No! the words you sang were wrong' "

SISTERS FOREVER, FOREVER SISTERS
User avatar
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed
Posts: 8216
Joined: 24 Mar 2005, 00:01
Location: WhizzWorld
Contact:

paint it black wrote:"The Catherine wheel around on fire
We will burn this circus down
The wheel goes round and the friends get higher
For the juggling men and the idiot clown"
paint it black also wrote:Juggling with the ring of fire[/i]The bullets blow holes and the flames go higher
Chase the yellow, chase the gold
The orange and the white lie in the stones

The juggling men and the idiot clowns
We will burn this circus down to the ground

Because some day I hope to turn and
Stand and watch this city burning down

Chase the yellow, chase the gold
The orange and the white lie in the stones

Burning, burning, burning, burning down
which i realised today are the lyrics to "burn it down" -the similarly tilted and identically drum-intro'd but musically different forerunner to burn. :von:
"Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knerw the words to every song.
'Did my singing please you?'
'No! the words you sang were wrong' "

SISTERS FOREVER, FOREVER SISTERS
Dark
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 6606
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 21:26
Location: On the edge of the mind.
Contact:

Still not convinced it's about anything but starting a fire in a zoo.
User avatar
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed
Posts: 8216
Joined: 24 Mar 2005, 00:01
Location: WhizzWorld
Contact:

zoo's are bollocks as well. :evil:
"Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knerw the words to every song.
'Did my singing please you?'
'No! the words you sang were wrong' "

SISTERS FOREVER, FOREVER SISTERS
aims
Overbomber
Posts: 3212
Joined: 27 Mar 2005, 13:16
Location: in between

Dark wrote:Still not convinced it's about anything but starting a fire in a zoo.
f**king hell :kiss::lol:
User avatar
Dan
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1901
Joined: 25 Sep 2002, 01:00
Location: Leeds

paint it black wrote:{After we complete the ring of fire,
paint it black wrote:"The Catherine wheel around on fire
The catherine wheel a ring of fire.
User avatar
Debi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 487
Joined: 27 Mar 2009, 11:23
Location: Bristol, England

i love ths song. i listened to it yesterday in the car and the scary lyric bit really spooked me!!!!
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12971
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 59%

This songs evokes always the same sad dream inside of me, the dream of a reptile house in the
park of a mansion ... Plenty wonderful reptiles were held in there, in wonderful environments
and dearly cared for by an otherwise rather unhappy boy. To him these reptiles meant
everything, his only comfort and relieve for years, until ...
User avatar
eotunun
Overbomber
Posts: 3709
Joined: 06 Aug 2005, 22:24
Location: Planet Ki
Contact:

I had to think of that song when seing the hotel lounge scene in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas..
There is shadow under this red rock
User avatar
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop
Posts: 3209
Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 17:09
Location: my own imagination

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Master Margarita wrote:How can Burn be a seething political commentary? All the song says- again, and again- is set fire to the reptile house. And some kissing and crashing colours.
although this irritating member has left to be a tw*t elsewhere i would like to reply that burning down/blowing up/bombarding from orbit the houses of parliament would sufficiently suggest to the cunts who inhabit it an indication of the feelings of the perpetrators for it to qualify as "political comment". :von:
To be fair, I think the point is that the lyrics really just consist of a couple of phrases repeated over and over again. Political commentary it may be but it doesn't actually say all that much. What few lyrics and images there are are very evocative and the music is brilliant but it's not so much a "seething political commentary" as a couple of quick jibes.
Post Reply