A Rock And A Hard Place

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

million voices wrote:.....what if "Rock" and "Hard Place" are the pseudonyms of two ultra butch gay boys that the narrator is meeting later.

That is why he is not over enamoured, and keen to get rid of, his present female company.

He can't actually remember the name of the bar where he's meeting the two boys but it's on the High Street between "Devil's" night club and a fish & chip shop called "Deep Blue Sea".
Brilliant :lol: :notworthy:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Apologies for the archaeological dig

Maybe "There wasn't a part of me that didn't want to say goodbye"

Means ALL of me didn't want to say goodbye

i.e. he DIDN'T want to leave her
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

No wait - "There wasn't a part of me that didn't want to say goodbye" means all of me *did* want to say goodbye...

doesn't it? :lol:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
million voices
Slight Overbomber

What I mean is

If there wasn't a part of him that didnt want to say goodbye.

Then there was all of him or none of him that didn't want to say goodbye

If you have all of him that didn't want to say goodbye then that seems to fit in better with the sentiment of the song as I perceive it.

It is a love that he has had to give up either for his benefit or for the girlies.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Being645
Above the Chemist

I'd say it was an act of compassion rather than a love that was brought to an end ... no one would do that to a love... :wink: ... And that exactly is also not easily conveyed to those concerned and brings about some painful moments the protagoist preferred to avoid by a not very heroic chickening out ... followed by this self-righteous and sentimental confession ... hell, but the schepper is just great in this song ... ;D ...

Anyway, I prefer The Repitle House EP, Some Kind of Stranger (Early), Vision Thing and SSV. But that was, of course, not always the case ... :lol: ...