Alice

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

iesus wrote:i had an Isis iron cross painted and crafted back then at age of 13-14 :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh
omg so many years have past from that :roll: :eek:
I still wear a silver ankh in my left ear - every day, just next to the scarab... :wink:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

summary of Go Ask Alice which i finally got around to reading

young girl starts path to drugs by taking her gramps tranquilisers to assist her to sleep and feel good
starts going to parties and becomes aware of speed and pills
ends up on the streets and it rains a lot (specifically mentions rain in the context of the fall from grace of a middleclass upbringing)
finds support in the church and returns home
gets straight and hangs around with normal people
is baby sitting and does not expect the surprise (a huge dose of LSD)
which puts her in a mental institution where she is afraid to move and scared of the laughing children - she also has self-inflicted life changing injuries
gets discharged, finds god, and the sun shines on her world
gets a new white dress for her dad's party and is generally happy

Epilogue

found dead three weeks after journal entry ends - suspected drugs overdose

'Drugs got their grip on Alice because they made her feel wonderful' '

'the most disturbing part of the diary s the dreadful isolation Alice found herself in when trying to give up drugs / meanwhile she was rejected by the straight ones'

= psychologist's comment

anyway, there it is...
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

paint it black wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 21:33 summary of Go Ask Alice which i finally got around to reading

young girl starts path to drugs by taking her gramps tranquilisers to assist her to sleep and feel good
starts going to parties and becomes aware of speed and pills
ends up on the streets and it rains a lot (specifically mentions rain in the context of the fall from grace of a middleclass upbringing)
finds support in the church and returns home
gets straight and hangs around with normal people
is baby sitting and does not expect the surprise (a huge dose of LSD)
which puts her in a mental institution where she is afraid to move and scared of the laughing children - she also has self-inflicted life changing injuries
gets discharged, finds god, and the sun shines on her world
gets a new white dress for her dad's party and is generally happy

Epilogue

found dead three weeks after journal entry ends - suspected drugs overdose

'Drugs got their grip on Alice because they made her feel wonderful' '

'the most disturbing part of the diary s the dreadful isolation Alice found herself in when trying to give up drugs / meanwhile she was rejected by the straight ones'

= psychologist's comment

anyway, there it is...
sounds like a barrel of laughs :lol:

also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Ask_Alice
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Being645
Above the Chemist

OK, so almost every English school kid grown up in the 70s would know this book ... :eek: ... while - for better or worse - some would need a little longer to actually read it ... :lol: ...

Anyway, as a matter of fact, we didn't have such a book in Germany, we only had Juliane Werding (On the Day That Conny Kramer Died) ... :roll: ...
and a change in the way how one would poosibly address one's parents and/or teachers (depending on their wishes) ... very lovely.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

That Alice is mentioned just once, as in she feels like... Also odd coincidence black and gold as a colourway is mentioned at least once. Being the colours of the elevator to a super posh party where she is given a spiked drink and trips for the first time
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Above the Chemist

paint it black wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 08:53 That Alice is mentioned just once, as in she feels like... Also odd coincidence black and gold as a colourway is mentioned at least once. Being the colours of the elevator to a super posh party where she is given a spiked drink and trips for the first time
I think the combination of black and gold is sort of common cultural heritage which regularly evokes a certain field of ideas and is therefore used time and again by writers.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

When i got Andrew's autograph he made me lean forward to use my back as a surface and seeing my Alice talking to the caterpillar painting on my leather said " Great painting BTW" ...just wanted everyone to know. ;D ;D :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 13:47 When i got Andrew's autograph he made me lean forward to use my back as a surface and seeing my Alice talking to the caterpillar painting on my leather said " Great painting BTW" ...just wanted everyone to know. ;D ;D :von:
But, more importantly, was it Colin or Cuthbert? :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....