Driven Like The Snow

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Big Si
School Bully

Black Planet wrote:
MrChris wrote:That's right. Even the legendary Dolly Parton has had to put up with being covered by some really awful bands. And the Sisters.
Ever heard Andrew warbling Jolene? Good god it's awful!

And that's coming from me.... :eek: :eek:
But which version?

Jansen radio session (1983) or one of the many live versions? :wink: :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Big Si
School Bully

MrChris wrote:I actually quite like it. Okay, he does warble, but there was a time in the early 1990s when he was murdering quite a few covers, and in that context Jolene stands out as one of the better ones, I thought. I like the sexual politics too. But okay, I wouldn't put it in their top five covers.

Having said that, I'd better back it up - my favourites today are:
Gimme Shelter,
Knocking on Heavens Door,
Comfortably Numb,
Gimme Gimme Gimme,
and Ghostrider.
But you forgot about Emma! :notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I was thinking live, but the Jansen version has a certain something...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

do still play jolene live still?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Big Si wrote:
MrChris wrote:I actually quite like it. Okay, he does warble, but there was a time in the early 1990s when he was murdering quite a few covers, and in that context Jolene stands out as one of the better ones, I thought. I like the sexual politics too. But okay, I wouldn't put it in their top five covers.

Gimme Shelter,
Comfortably Numb,
Gimme Gimme Gimme,
and Ghostrider.
early incarnations of emma (circa 83) before they bothered to create a proper drum part for it were also pretty cool :)
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 26 Aug 2003, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

God, Emma, I knew there was one! That's the danger of thinking off the top of your head...Okay, Emma displaces Gimme Gimme Gimme. Which makes a certain thought occur to me - apart from Comfortably Numb, do most of the really good Sisters covers come from the pre-FALAA period?
Chris

Big Si
School Bully

Quiff Boy wrote:
Big Si wrote:

Gimme Shelter,
Comfortably Numb,
Gimme Gimme Gimme,
and Ghostrider.

early incarnations of emma (circa 83) before they bothered to create a proper drum part for each were also pretty cool :)
Berlin Loft Club version is very Fonzy ( 8) ) but not everybody has it :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
ryan

Big Si wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
Big Si wrote: But you forgot about Emma! :notworthy:

early incarnations of emma (circa 83) before they bothered to create a proper drum part for each were also pretty cool :)
then these certain :wink: people :wink: should share it :wink:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i think they spent more time on them way back when... most of the covers these days seem to be "knocked together in a few minutes" as they say ;)

they dont seem to bother changing them much from teh original, and take them very literally. hence they change them all the time mid-tour - they dont have the time and effort spent on them and thus their longevity in the set is reduced. :(

having said that, the numb/skos medley is superb! :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
ryan

yes, those two songs fit perfectly
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

They do indeed. I think we should put On the Wire / Teachers / On the Wire in this category, too. I didn't think it would work, but on the right night, it really really does.
Chris

Big Si
School Bully

ryan_w_0000 wrote:
Big Si wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
then these certain :wink: people :wink: should share it :wink:
Once I get a CDr ( :roll: ) I'll do some weeding! :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
hallucienate
Overbomber

Black Planet wrote:
MrChris wrote:That's right. Even the legendary Dolly Parton has had to put up with being covered by some really awful bands. And the Sisters.
Ever heard Andrew warbling Jolene? Good god it's awful!

And that's coming from me.... :eek: :eek:
IMHO the radio session version kicks butt!
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

My version of Jolene is a live one, but I have no idea when/where as I downloaded it from someone. It's Andrew at his worst.

Here's a few more smarmy ones I've got:

Dance On Glass....with Wayne on vocals, playing guitar, but the tune is...Black Planet!!! Dance on Glass Saints and Martyrs...it goes .... different lyrics than what he put out on Gods Own Medicine.

Garden of Delight...Now that's Andrew.

I find it amusing, Andrew singing Take my Hand and lead me to the garden of delight. It's almost sickening. Wayne warbling backing vocals, and his guitar.

Again I have no idea when/where these were done, I got them off downloading.
hallucienate
Overbomber

You've probably got a post 1990 version on Jolene, which doesn't match up to the radio session version. There are definitely some kick arse versions of Jolene floating around though
Big Si
School Bully

Black Planet wrote:My version of Jolene is a live one, but I have no idea when/where as I downloaded it from someone. It's Andrew at his worst.

Here's a few more smarmy ones I've got:

Dance On Glass....with Wayne on vocals, playing guitar, but the tune is...Black Planet!!! Dance on Glass Saints and Martyrs...it goes .... different lyrics than what he put out on Gods Own Medicine.

Garden of Delight...Now that's Andrew.

I find it amusing, Andrew singing Take my Hand and lead me to the garden of delight. It's almost sickening. Wayne warbling backing vocals, and his guitar.

Again I have no idea when/where these were done, I got them off downloading.
Victims of Circumstance bootleg - allegedly from a tape made by Mr Marx for a friend. Basically the 1984 demos for FALAA. You can get them from michaels (Jansenclone :notworthy: ) yahoo groups!
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Big Si wrote: Victims of Circumstance bootleg - allegedly from a tape made by Mr Marx for a friend. Basically the 1984 demos for FALAA. You can get them from michaels (Jansenclone :notworthy: ) yahoo groups!
Well if FALAA had those tracks on it...what a disaster! I can understand Why Von didn't want to use "certain" lyrics! Not him at all.....
Big Si
School Bully

Black Planet wrote:
Big Si wrote: Victims of Circumstance bootleg - allegedly from a tape made by Mr Marx for a friend. Basically the 1984 demos for FALAA. You can get them from michaels (Jansenclone :notworthy: ) yahoo groups!
Well if FALAA had those tracks on it...what a disaster! I can understand Why Von didn't want to use "certain" lyrics! Not him at all.....
Well FALAA was basically Wayne side A and Gary side B, with Lyrics by Andrew. Those tracks are great in a novelty kind of way. Have you heard the Disco mix of A Rock and a Hard Place? It rocks a fat one! :von:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I got all of those tracks on a tape on Northampton market about twelve years ago, called Rarities Volume 2. A very well spent four quid, if I remember. Anyway, persevere, Black Planet, there are definitely versions of Jolene that do not corrode your eardrums.
Chris

Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

MrChris wrote:I got all of those tracks on a tape on Northampton market about twelve years ago, called Rarities Volume 2. A very well spent four quid, if I remember. Anyway, persevere, Black Planet, there are definitely versions of Jolene that do not corrode your eardrums.
I still owe you another boot..I will include this horrible rendition of Jolene so you can judge for yourself! :urff: :urff:
pikkrong
Overbomber

Sisters version of "Jolene" (at least most of them i've heard) is (are) ACE :notworthy:
mayhem
Glam Rock Throwback

& don't forget confide in me. Fab.

M
nodubmanshouts

Re: Claire (sorry, going back a few pages here)

She looked (at least when I "kind of" knew her) like Debbie Harry. In fact... amazingly like Debbie Harry... She used to DJ around town alot in Leeds in the 90s, as well as doing Salvation's sound. Always known simply as "Claire".
James Blast
Banned

IMO Comfortably Numb was fecked up by Mr. E, leave it to Big Dave and his hired hands.

sorry
Blast :P
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

pikkrong wrote:Sisters version of "Jolene" (at least most of them i've heard) is (are) ACE :notworthy:
heh, you haven't heard the Speed Kings version from Drogheda 1990 then. Glad that band haven't been heard of since. They were terrible :wink:
24.24.2.489 Deceased