"While we're waiting for the next one to arrive!"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

thanks
already started 8)
robertzombie
Overbomber

ormfdmrush you can find a collection of the new songs in the Sharing section (Some Songs Wander By Mistake) and in the weeding section (New Songs)
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:CMYK is the altar I have to worship at, daywise

RGB is the altar of the evening ;D
I never trusted an environment where they think 'black' is written with a 'K' as first letter...

I'll stick with audio thank you verra much! ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

the 'K' stands for Key as any fule no ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I'll stick with audio thank you verra much! ;D

IZ.

Point made... :von:

IZ.
mh
Above the Chemist

Been away for a while cos my band was being made broader ( :D ) - quite a bit happened, I see. I'll sort through the updates and edit the list later on this eve.

There are many good mp3s of War On Drugs in the sharing section - may I recommend London 9th June 1997? It has the "laser-ey" sound that I personally prefer to the more crunchy/rocky recent-er takes.

24 bit should also be fine - it does have 256 times the resolution of 16 bit, so will be able to handle edits well enough.

PROGRAMMING GEEK BEGIN
I have a home-made C program for mixing WAVs down from 32 bit to 16 bit, and from 88200 Hz to 44100 Hz. It also does compression without clipping, as mild or as heavy as you want. If our Mastering Dudes are interested, I'll gladly share it. It's a bit fussy about file formats being absolutely correct, though, as the whole WAV format is horrible and I couldn't have been bothered coding it to cater for all possibilities.
PROGRAMMING GEEK END

Been thinking about the legalities of covering unreleased songs. The main thing that springs to mind is precedent. The Byrds did it, the Rolling Stones did it, the JAMC did it. Maybe canon docre would be able to provide advice (she sure seems to know more about this stuff than the average person)???
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mh
Above the Chemist

UPDATE

Status updated in the first post again (http://myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=269560#269560). Also added in TBND for Summer (which I missed at the last update :oops: ). We still have 3 songs just waiting for someone to love them: Top Nite Out, Romeo Down and Slept. I seem to remember Quiffy (I think) doing fantastic instrumentals of the last 2 a coupla years back. Anyone wanna biiiite? (whooorgh!)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Izzy HaveMercy

mh wrote:Been thinking about the legalities of covering unreleased songs. The main thing that springs to mind is precedent. The Byrds did it, the Rolling Stones did it, the JAMC did it. Maybe canon docre would be able to provide advice (she sure seems to know more about this stuff than the average person)???
Normally speaking, a new song that has been 'published or broaddcasted' has copyright. It is so in Belgium.

IZ.
aims
Overbomber

I have an instrumental of Slept which I can polish and add vocals to if no-one else comes forward in the near future.
Mish
Road Kill

mh wrote:UPDATE

Status updated in the first post again (http://myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=269560#269560). Also added in TBND for Summer (which I missed at the last update :oops: ). We still have 3 songs just waiting for someone to love them: Top Nite Out, Romeo Down and Slept. I seem to remember Quiffy (I think) doing fantastic instrumentals of the last 2 a coupla years back. Anyone wanna biiiite? (whooorgh!)
Hi all, am I too late to join in? I'll have a go at Top Nite Out (bearing in mind I haven't done anything musical for a very long time, so it could all turn out rather poorly. But still).

Bryan
Izzy HaveMercy

mh wrote:VERY EROTIC GEEK TALK BEGIN
I have a home-made C program for mixing WAVs down from 32 bit to 16 bit, and from 88200 Hz to 44100 Hz. It also does compression without clipping, as mild or as heavy as you want. If our Mastering Dudes are interested, I'll gladly share it. It's a bit fussy about file formats being absolutely correct, though, as the whole WAV format is horrible and I couldn't have been bothered coding it to cater for all possibilities.
VERY EROTIC GEEK TALK END
Thanks for the offer, but I am not a mastering wizard. Therefore, I'll stick to the soft I use a lot and know best ;)

IZ.
mh
Above the Chemist

Mish wrote:
mh wrote:UPDATE

Hi all, am I too late to join in? I'll have a go at Top Nite Out (bearing in mind I haven't done anything musical for a very long time, so it could all turn out rather poorly. But still).

Bryan
You're in, will be noted in the list shortly. Kudos for having a go!
James Blast
Banned

I won't do the backside of the sleeve till things are confirmed... :innocent:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

Right, well stick with me on this one.

Myself and a trusty sidekick have started work on Still, but there's a glaring problem - there appears to be no consensus as to what the lyrics are. So we can either put a mumbling vocal track down with only slightly more audible chorus bits, or do something neat and . . . interpretive with the song.

I hope we are looking for genuine covers here, as opposed to note for note facsimiles?
Do I drive or am I driven?
mh
Above the Chemist

Arrrgh! wrote:Right, well stick with me on this one.

Myself and a trusty sidekick have started work on Still, but there's a glaring problem - there appears to be no consensus as to what the lyrics are. So we can either put a mumbling vocal track down with only slightly more audible chorus bits, or do something neat and . . . interpretive with the song.

I hope we are looking for genuine covers here, as opposed to note for note facsimiles?
:D

"interpretive" sounds perfect to me, given the circumstances.
James Blast
Banned

I'd go for 'mumbling incoherence' everytime Image
but then I like Hawkwind and I am old and in the way... :oops:
~ Peter Steele
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

Glad to hear there is some sympathy for the problem - I can't say I'm surprised to meet these problems - Eldritch does have a reputation for being difficult to deal with in the studio, in this case even when he's not there.

Anyway, this is certainly fun and hopefully something good will come of it. I can say that the cover of still will have some electronic influences but will remain true to the original in that it will come with stomach churning quantities of bombast.

:D
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Arrrgh! wrote:I hope we are looking for genuine covers here, as opposed to note for note facsimiles?
To paraphrase Von: "We're bastardisers. You give us your songs and we bastardise them. With extreme predudice."

Welcome to the club.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
James Blast
Banned

just no 'Techno, Techno, Techno!'

Puh-leez! :evil:
~ Peter Steele
canon docre
Overbomber

Sorry for being late on this.... As for unreleased songs you have to ask the copyright owner for permission. That means you have to check which publisher represents the copyright owners and write them a friendly letter, saying why, for what purpose etc etc.
For Crash and Burn f.ex Wolffsongs (Adam) and Arabella Musikverlag (Andrew) are mentioned as Original Publishers. They may have sub-publisher in different countries.... Just call the UK publisher/songwriter association (I don't know the name, but it is the equivalent to the German GEMA) and get the information about the subpublisher in the UK.

They should sort you out. :D
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
mh
Above the Chemist

canon docre wrote:Sorry for being late on this.... As for unreleased songs you have to ask the copyright owner for permission. That means you have to check which publisher represents the copyright owners and write them a friendly letter, saying why, for what purpose etc etc.
For Crash and Burn f.ex Wolffsongs (Adam) and Arabella Musikverlag (Andrew) are mentioned as Original Publishers. They may have sub-publisher in different countries.... Just call the UK publisher/songwriter association (I don't know the name, but it is the equivalent to the German GEMA) and get the information about the subpublisher in the UK.

They should sort you out. :D
One way or another, eh? :lol:

Ta v much, I'll drop 'em a line shortly and see what the story is.

Hope ya had a fabbo birthday!
robertzombie
Overbomber

Surely we can cover them without any worries as long as we don't make any money out of the cd.
aims
Overbomber

Bzzzt. Wrong.

That's a waiver which, while sometimes made by more generous artists, by no means has to be granted under law.
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

Hmm, is this the sight of a hurtling spanner I see before me?

Oh look, some works!

I'll probably keep working on my cover, as it's fun to do, but it would be a shame if the project was derailed.
robertzombie
Overbomber

this project WILL go ahead as planned 8)