"While we're waiting for the next one to arrive!"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Sure, if you fancy paying stupidly large sums of money for a "community" project.
aims
Overbomber

Nothing's certain either way.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I say don't phone em, if they don't know then they can't do anything :P
mh
Above the Chemist

Figured I could do worse than research how the NewOrderOnline folks did it. There was a bit of talk at the beginning of their first Community project, but no definitive conclusion.

One interesting snippet is that you cannot be denied the Mechanical Copyright license by law. Whether this is fact or one person's opinion/interpretation is up for grabs though.

I've also gone rooting around various music publisher sites, registered myself as a licensee with BMG (y'never know...) and fired an email off to the MCPS (copy below):
Hi,

Myself and a group of others are planning to record a tribute CD for one of our favourite bands. This will be a privately distributed limited edition (the number of copies is not yet finalised) and any charges will solely cover production costs (i.e. non-profit).

As we are keen to keep everything as legal and above-board as possible, we are interested in learning what the position is with regard to mechanical licensing for such a project.

Thanks,
Now I know why bands have lawyers and managers... :evil: :urff: :| :x
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

:notworthy:
canon docre
Overbomber

Without wanting to spoil the enthusisam, how high are the chances that Eldritch or Pearson are saying yes to a release of their songs by you guys? Below par I'd guess. :|

Why not leave out the "charges"- part as it implies that there is actually money to be made (even if it's just to cover the costs). Why not let it run under "demo-tape" without official release. No need to ask anybody for permission there.

If it turns out to be good you can still decide to release it and go through the copyright hassle when it's time. In this early stage it just kills creativity to think about the legal stuff. :P
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
mh
Above the Chemist

canon docre wrote:Why not leave out the "charges"- part as it implies that there is actually money to be made (even if it's just to cover the costs). Why not let it run under "demo-tape" without official release. No need to ask anybody for permission there.
Can you do that? Sounds interesting, do tell me more.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
canon docre
Overbomber

mh wrote:
canon docre wrote:Why not leave out the "charges"- part as it implies that there is actually money to be made (even if it's just to cover the costs). Why not let it run under "demo-tape" without official release. No need to ask anybody for permission there.
Well, everyone can homerecord whatever they please without asking for permission. Legally, what you do with the Sisters songs is covering them (as long as you dont change the notes, then it's a remix, a totally differnet matter.) Even if they're yet unreleased, you do a coverversion.
As long as you dont press them in large quantities for selling them, no one cares.
mh
Above the Chemist

canon docre wrote:
mh wrote:
Well, everyone can homerecord whatever they please without asking for permission. Legally, what you do with the Sisters songs is covering them (as long as you dont change the notes, then it's a remix, a totally differnet matter.) Even if they're yet unreleased, you do a coverversion.
As long as you dont press them in large quantities for selling them, no one cares.

OK people, we have a solution.
James Blast
Banned

the cover still belongs to:
or I'll stab someone, OK? ;D

ah ken how tae deal wi you music biz types 8)
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

mh wrote:

OK people, we have a solution.
Yup, we rename the whole thing to "Canon Docre Walks On Water" and the problem is solved! :D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eotunun
Overbomber

canon docre wrote: (as long as you dont change the notes, then it's a remix, a totally differnet matter.)
What about accidental changes? :innocent:
There is shadow under this red rock
mh
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:the cover still belongs to:

Naturally. :)
canon docre
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:the cover still belongs to:

It's always the same, the Graphic Department is ready and pushy while the recording artists are still contemplating on the running order. :roll: :lol: :notworthy:
James Blast
Banned

and I spent time on this Jess :|

I feel well stabbed :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

Hey, it rhymes!

We have a new name.
pikkrong
Overbomber

Canon Docre Walks On Mirrors... it was my Beavis & Butthead side who said it... I take my coat now...
do i drive
or am i driven
robertzombie
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:As long as you dont press them in large quantities for selling them, no one cares.
so we're good to go? :)
James Blast wrote:and I spent time on this Jess :|

I feel well stabbed :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
What's the picture behind it?
Dark
Underneath the Rock

canon docre wrote:as long as you dont change the notes, then it's a remix
Sorry, but that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

A remix is an alternative mix of a song, using parts (or all) of the original recording. A cover contains none of the original recording.

A cover with notes that have been changed somewhat is still a cover, surely? Every Sisters cover compilation has contained songs that sound immensely different to the original, but they're certainly not remixes.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

robertzombie wrote:What's the picture behind it?
Kirkstall Abbey. Clicky

Nice cover James 8)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

markfiend wrote:
Kirkstall Abbey. Clicky

Nice cover James 8)
Thought it was :D Good work indeed 8)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
mh
Above the Chemist

Dark wrote:
canon docre wrote:as long as you dont change the notes, then it's a remix
Sorry, but that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

A remix is an alternative mix of a song, using parts (or all) of the original recording. A cover contains none of the original recording.

A cover with notes that have been changed somewhat is still a cover, surely? Every Sisters cover compilation has contained songs that sound immensely different to the original, but they're certainly not remixes.
James Blast
Banned

markfiend wrote:
Kirkstall Abbey. Clicky

Nice cover James 8)
Bastard! I wanted the is it/isn't it Detroit argument to rage on for a bit ;D

I knew I made it too visible in this edition :oops:
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

James Blast wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Kirkstall Abbey. Clicky

Nice cover James 8)

Well, at first I thought it was the church from Damage Done, so there you go :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
robertzombie
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
James Blast wrote:
markfiend wrote: Kirkstall Abbey. Clicky

Nice cover James 8)

Well, at first I thought it was the church from Damage Done, so there you go :lol:
i thought that too