"While we're waiting for the next one to arrive!"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Dark wrote:I'll do vocals on Top Nite Out.
Let's make that a duet :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

Badlander wrote:- Disc 2 : Never land (a jazz odyssey), a 79 minute epic by the Heartland all-star big band
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
How about a doo woop version ? :D

@ Herr Blast : knew you'd be pleased. :wink:

It's even worse than Tubular Bells ! :eek:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Hey, I can actually do doo-wop. ;)

But as far as vocals on a Sisters cover goes, I'll stick to Top Nite Out.. :lol:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Band Aid? :lol:

Nice idea! :notworthy:
Hope it doesn't take 13 years.... :innocent:
"as we walk on the floodland"
robertzombie
Overbomber

Well we were gonna rerecord Susanne in October for the next project but we could always bump the recording of it forward if this thing is actually gonna go ahead?
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Badlander wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
Not me, whenever I try to sing every single bit of glass within a distance of several kilometres breaks :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Obviousman wrote:
Badlander wrote:
Obviousman wrote: Let's make that a duet :lol:
Not me, whenever I try to sing every single bit of glass within a distance of several kilometres breaks :lol:
Yup. The whole of Belgium still remembers all those dead flippers at Seaworld after your karaoke-adventure...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Feck, I thought they'd forget :oops: :|
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

If we ask nicely and are all good boys and girls, this member of HL (a classically trained vocalist) might join in.

She's gonna stab me for printing this. :(
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
scotty
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:If we ask nicely and are all good boys and girls, this member of HL (a classically trained vocalist) might join in.

She's gonna stab me for printing this. :(
:eek: who?
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Rosalie? :innocent:

Couldn't let you get stabbed alone, Mr B
James Blast
Banned

not Rosalie but my oldest interweb friend who is scared of this place and if I showed what is to the left and right of her, ye would p*ss yirsels laffin'!!!

and thanks Korin, I think :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:not Rosalie but my oldest interweb friend who is scared of this place and if I showed what is to the left and right of her, ye would p*ss yirsels laffin'!!!
:eek:
I'm intrigued. :lol: 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Tha's no' tha Mish is it? :innocent:
mh
Above the Chemist

OK, so are we gonna go ahead and are we gonna be serious about it? I'm sure that we have more than enough musically talented folks around here to make a pretty damn good go at it.

And a clasically trained vocalist would be more than welcome. Come on in!!!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

ahem :P
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm in. Imagine if Tori Amos and Gary Numan collaborated on a version of "Summer" and you've got a good idea of what I could come up with. What's the deadline?
aims
Overbomber

A.S.A.P.

No sooner, no later ;)

Just strike a balance between time and quality. We don't expect a masterpiece befitting the world's finest studios (unless you have one at your disposal), but I doubt anyone wants a crackly recording with all the panache of the countless Alice clones in existence.

Right now I'm tempted to do Come Together in a Power Tool Orchestral style (yes, electronic/experimental music has painfully permeated my consciousness recently), so I guess now's a good time to lay down the law on genre. Do we have to stick with the Sisters domain or is it free reign?
mh
Above the Chemist

I'd say a month or two would be a reasonable upper limit, but I have zilch experience in this "recording" thing, so little help?

Genre-laying-down-of-law is a good idea now. "Tolerably faithful, but not absolutely so" seems a good idea. If we could stick with styles that are related or that Von has been known to toy with, maybe? Death metal, power ballads, electro, goffik or full-on industrial treatments would be in. Jazz Oddyseys, dub reggae, folk-rock and Spacemen 3 droneathons out. (Any opinion on Johnny Cash style takes?)

Might also be a good time to list the songs and take names? At least to get things in motion.

List moved to here

Any takers for any of the others? And yes, let's have multiple versions of the same song, if the styles are different enough, but also let's try to cover them all.
Last edited by mh on 09 Sep 2006, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
aims
Overbomber

I had a version of Slept, but I took it down because I noticed that someone had already done it for The Singer's Turn. If we're in dire need of making up numbers, I can always polish that off. I also seem to recall that Quiffy had done a version of Romeo Down?
pikkrong
Overbomber

I can sing in Top Nite Out a duet in the style of Beavis and Butthead with anyone who is interested. Maybe also dance like Tony and Gary in Men Behaving Badly after the same tune.
do i drive
or am i driven
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm working on Summer for the moment, 30% done.

I might do some more though, depends on how long this will take. :)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Heh. What are the words again?

"Ner-ner-ner-nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Ner-ner-ner-nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
De-de-de n-de-de-de n-de-de-de-nur-de-de
De-de-de n-de-de-de n-de-de-de-nur-de-de"

Something like that anyway ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
aims
Overbomber

Wot, no Eliot references? :(

It's annoying the amount of times I've intended to put Top Nite Out in a display name/sig only to realise when I get there that it doesn't have any words :oops: