"While we're waiting for the next one to arrive!"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

mh wrote: Susanne: RobertZombie[/b]
*The Mumbles 8)
Badlander
Overbomber

Motz wrote:Wot, no Eliot references? :(
What !? Don't tell me you didn't get it !?
People, now they can't understand any kind of reference anymore. :roll: :wink: :lol:
mh wrote:If we could stick with styles that are related or that Von has been known to toy with, maybe? Death metal, power ballads, electro, goffik or full-on industrial treatments would be in. Jazz Oddyseys, dub reggae, folk-rock and Spacemen 3 droneathons out.
TBH I find such rule unnecessarily restrictive. Von once said that he wanted to have his songs covered by Cher. That's not say I want Cher on the album (Lord help me !) but anything unexpected shouldn't be automatically ruled out.

Unless you want to pigeonhole the Sisters once again... :innocent: :P 8)

As long as it's not some pointless joke, and as long as it's musically relevant, why not ? Lambchop's take on Lucretia is generally considered one of the best Sisters covers there is after all. :von:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
robertzombie
Overbomber

Is there any rules on file type? We have started to save our mix-downs to the highest quality .wma Adobe Audition can do. Is that ok?
aims
Overbomber

I'd think it would be 16 bit / 44.1kHz WAV (i.e. CD Quality) -> 256 kbps MP3 for distribution. WMA's a nice enough format, but it's not so easily playable on non-Microsoft platforms.

Obviously Andrew could just 'emerge w32-codecs' or whichever "legal" package it is this week, but for others it's not so easy ;)
robertzombie
Overbomber

ok we'll wav it then :)
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:And would anybody be interested in actually taking part???
I'll make the coffees and vet the female groupies :wink:
mh
Above the Chemist

Norman Hunter wrote:
mh wrote:And would anybody be interested in actually taking part???
I'll make the coffees and vet the female groupies :wink:
Mine's black with no sugar.

And as for the coffee... :twisted:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'd like to do "Will I Dream?". Is there a deadline?
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
robertzombie
Overbomber

mh wrote:I'd say a month or two would be a reasonable upper limit
Our's will be ready as soon as James' room is fixed :D
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

mh, if you want this thing to get structured a bit, you might want to add and update the list of songs and performers in your first post, and even include a status follow-up :wink:
I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

its good to see that the singer's turn found a new, powerful friend, almost a relative

many might know my instrumental summers - anyhow, they are still looking for a singer (male/female/unisex) - if anyone feels prepared to do so (maybe for this one not the top-nite-out choir) - please contact!

summer, popmix: http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=DQYRGQS5

summer, standard mix: http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=0ZVLV3QP

come on voices!
Last edited by jost 7 on 06 Sep 2006, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
love is just a shot away
robertzombie
Overbomber

i'll do it on the weekend if you want :)
aims
Overbomber

I wouldn't mind a shot at it. How would you approach it though? Vocalist records with the backing and then sends the vocal track to you for proper mixing?
mh
Above the Chemist

kazamel wrote:mh, if you want this thing to get structured a bit, you might want to add and update the list of songs and performers in your first post, and even include a status follow-up :wink:
Yeh, I'll do a follow up later on today. Seems to be coming along nicely.

@ RobertZombie: the idea of adding vocals to some of the instrumentals already available sounds like a good one!

At this stage I suppose I'd like to get some feedback on how folks would like to see this ending up. Do we want to have a proper CD release (with a Blast Products cover) or would we prefer downloads? What's the general consensus?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Proper CD, deffo :D Perhaps we can do a poll :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

mh wrote:(with a Blast Products cover)
it's in hand, but you won't like it ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
robertzombie
Overbomber

I say we should weed it.

btw, who's actually putting this thing together? mh?
mcalldp
Road Kill

I would like to collab with someone, I just haven't the time to do anything on my own right now but so want to be a part of this.

Please go to www.mcallister-productions.com to hear what I sound like. The most recent song is 'Android Men'

I can sing, Play guitar and the rest of the sounds are programming I do in Fruity loops and mix in N-track. I would be happy to work with anyone by sending track back and forth to do a song or two. Suz and Summer would be my top picks for my voicce style but am interested in working on anything.

Anyone want to collab??
~sHiNe oN~
mh
Above the Chemist

robertzombie wrote:I say we should weed it.

btw, who's actually putting this thing together? mh?
I'll definitely collect all the recordings and compile a master. Where it goes from there depends on how we agree to distribute it. Currently researching CD pressing and associated blah...
mugabe

mugabe wrote:I'd like to do "Will I Dream?". Is there a deadline?
Looky, looky, I've already started with the arrangement to get it sorted before recording actual guitars and stuff.

http://www.kurtz.se/mugabe_-_wid-wip.mp3

@mh: Don't sell the skin till you have caught the bear.
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

My friend is definitely up for it. However, we will be going with our original plan and contributing covers of already released songs. He pointed out that there may be legal problems with covering unreleased material before Andrew himself records it. Even though this is only for Heartlanders, someone should really look into the legality of doing covers of the new material. If we know beyond a doubt that it is okay, then we'd tackle "Crash and Burn" or (WATS)S.

I'm with Badlander on this one. I like the idea of putting out, either on the same disc set as the "new" songs, or as a separate disc, Heartlanders' covers of older material too.

And no one need worry that these will be third rate goth style covers. We like so many things such as Yo La Tengo, Redd Kross, Husker Du, Hoodoo Gurus, J&MC, Chameleons, Liz Phair, The Beatles, The Stones, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Kraftwerk, Big Star, Belle and Sebastian, Motorhead, Stooges, Translator, Television, Blondie, YYYs, Shins, Ladytron, BRMC, Idlewild, PE, NWA, Prince, Vanity6, Madonna, VU, Barrett era Floyd, Bangles, Dream Syndicate, Neko Case, Stone Roses etc. If it is goth at all, it won't be our fault! :innocent:
Last edited by CommodoreRock on 06 Sep 2006, 23:18, edited 2 times in total.
James Blast
Banned

WATSS?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mugabe

(WATS) S.
James Blast
Banned

<---none the wiser
~ Peter Steele