"While we're waiting for the next one to arrive!"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

eotunun wrote: I use Mplayer on Linux and have no problem watching .mov files!
Mplayer is using binary codecs from Windoze for a number of proprietary formats, this doesn't make the format itself any more portable or desirable.

Better to use a video format for which there exist free codecs.
James Blast
Banned

or wise up and get a Mac
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nowayjose

James Blast wrote:or wise up and get a Mac
The last time I used a Mac for longer than 1 second before realizing my mistake, it crashed every 15 minutes with that idiotic bomb screen, and had a monitor the size (and quality) of a 70ies japanese digital watch. Not to speak of the keyboard, which seemed to be carefully optimized for people who don't type.

Do they still think having more than 1 mouse button scares the sh!t out of their typical customer?
James Blast
Banned

nowayjose wrote:
James Blast wrote:or wise up and get a Mac
The last time I used a Mac for longer than 1 second before realizing my mistake, it crashed every 15 minutes with that idiotic bomb screen, and had a monitor the size (and quality) of a 70ies japanese digital watch. Not to speak of the keyboard, which seemed to be carefully optimized for people who don't type.

Do they still think having more than 1 mouse button scares the sh!t out of their typical customer?
that would be c.86, wise up :evil:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
nowayjose

Which brings us back to the discussion of video codecs and their openness (or lack thereof).
Are there actually any codecs that are patent-free?
James Blast
Banned

codecs are Swahili to me, have you tried VLC?

cross platform and freebies, Google it
~ Peter Steele
robertzombie
Overbomber

million voices wrote:I like this Come Together. My only criticism (f*cking do it yourself I hear you say) is that the recording level on the vocals seems to be set too high so its a bit distorted.

Apart from that, wonderful
You're right the vocals are too loud! When I get some free time I'll lower them and I think we might change the bass because on this one it sounds too low.
eotunun
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:VLC would play a digestive biscuit if you inserted one
:notworthy: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
There is shadow under this red rock
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

Yesterday I started up my good ole studio program for the first time in years; basically, I just wanted to see if I still remembered how to use it. I ended up recording a very crude version of "We Are The Same, Susanne". The drums were slabbed together in less than 10 minutes (due to having my 2 year old daughter crawling over me and the computer), and my bass guitar suffers from some technical f**k-up that takes pretty much all of the oomph out of it.
Oh, and since a friend of mine has borrowed my amp, I had to line the guitars; hence they tend to sound like pissed-off bumblebees. :)

Apologies aside, here it is:
http://hem.passagen.se/myers/We%20Are%2 ... usanne.mp3
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
Little_Sister
Amphetamine Filth

I like it! Good voice TheGoodSon! :D
made in the 80s
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

On behalf of me and my voice; thank you very much! :)
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
mh
Above the Chemist

You do yourself an injustice - that's quite good! :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

gee, is there any other band in the world where fans record the unreleased songs...

i appreciate man's dedication and love, but to me this project seems at this very moment a little... useless and unnecessary.

And, sorry, sometimes it is not quite good.

but who's asking for my opinion anyway...
guns & cars & accidents
Syberberg

dinky daisy wrote: And, sorry, sometimes it is not quite good.

Go ahead and give us your honest opinion of all the versions so far. I'm being serious here.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Syberberg wrote:
dinky daisy wrote: And, sorry, sometimes it is not quite good.

Go ahead and give us your honest opinion of all the versions so far. I'm being serious here.
Well i don't think i should p*ss on some songs which people put their time and dedication into. But i'm a Sisters fan and i was never into [any] cover / tribute versions. <i> AND </i> i think it's a waste of time for everyone of us i f i will start to moan here.
guns & cars & accidents
mh
Above the Chemist

dinky daisy wrote:gee, is there any other band in the world where fans record the unreleased songs...
Loads. There's precedent going back to Dylan and even further, to the old bluesmen.
dinky daisy wrote:i appreciate man's dedication and love, but to me this project seems at this very moment a little... useless and unnecessary.
The point is to provide a legal means of giving fans a chance to hear these songs. It's fair to say that on those terms it's succeeded, even if we do end up with 20,000 versions of Crash and Burn/Summer/Susanne, and zilch of War on Drugs/Romeo Down.
dinky daisy wrote:And, sorry, sometimes it is not quite good.
That's the nature of anything musical though - quality will always be variable.
dinky daisy wrote:but who's asking for my opinion anyway...
Every opinion is valuable, but if the versions that people make are not what you want to hear, then you always have the option of not listening to them. :wink:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

@ dd I take it you haven't heard Ahráyeph's version of Summer? :roll:
~ Peter Steele
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

James Blast wrote:@ dd I take it you haven't heard Ahráyeph's version of Summer? :roll:
seconded.

even so, i find it hard to listen to what should be eldritch vocals done by non-eldritches; this is not a criticism of anyones efforts just a personal taste thang.

still-keep up the good work. 8)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Syberberg

dinky daisy wrote: Well i don't think i should p*ss on some songs which people put their time and dedication into. But i'm a Sisters fan and i was never into [any] cover / tribute versions. <i> AND </i> i think it's a waste of time for everyone of us i f i will start to moan here.
There's a difference between just p!ssing on someone's work and constructive criticism. :wink:

Fair enough and thanks for your honesty. :notworthy:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

To chuck in my twopence worth

I personally think this project is rather important. I dont think we will ever get to hear studio versions of these songs released by the Eldo. The sound quality of the live versions always leaves something to be desired, so some kind of listenable version has got to be better than none.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Syberberg

million voices wrote:To chuck in my twopence worth

I personally think this project is rather important. I dont think we will ever get to hear studio versions of these songs released by the Eldo. The sound quality of the live versions always leaves something to be desired, so some kind of listenable version has got to be better than none.
Thanks for the support. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

million voices wrote:To chuck in my twopence worth

... Which is exactly why my version of 'Summer' happened in the first place. I was tired of hearing it on crappy bootlegs (well, the ones I had at the time were crappy), so I decided to do it myself for all the reasons you just summed up...
Badass
Amphetamine Filth

Methedrome wrote:http://www.box.net/shared/jcpraptcue

Here are permanent links to my versions of Adrenochrome, Crash & Burn, and Will I Dream amongst some other tunes (Neil Young, AC/DC, The Cult)

Cheers,
Brad
:eek: Adrenochrome sounds great :notworthy:
This is not revenche, this is punishment
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Will the CD be out in time for Christmas?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
robertzombie
Overbomber

Yes... Christmas 2010