"While we're waiting for the next one to arrive!"

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
CommodoreRock
Amphetamine Filth

Sorry about the confusion! I've corrected it in the original post. (We Are The Same) Suzanne. Love the song. Didn't know it was a parenthetical. Thanks for the clarification.
mh
Above the Chemist

mugabe wrote:@mh: Don't sell the skin till you have caught the bear.
Steady as she goes captain, easy hand on the tiller.

Nice to know what's involved well in advance though.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:I'll definitely collect all the recordings and compile a master. Where it goes from there depends on how we agree to distribute it. Currently researching CD pressing and associated blah...
For the CD pressing, duplication, printing and mastering, you could do a lot worse than go here (pretty reasonable rates as well):

http://www.littlebazaar.co.uk/

They should be more than capable of answering all your questions too.

As for The Hated Reign, we'll be more than happy to bastardise Crash and Burn.

As for the legal side of things...could be a bit tricky as not all the songs have been pubished (I could be wrong on that, so time to do some digging I think) and strictly speaking we're doing a derivative work as there are no officially released versions. But you only have to really worry about royalty payments if you're going to sell the CD...which you'll obviously have to in order to cover the costs. With a limited run, I doubt there will be much fuss, but best to err on the side of caution I think.

Will a copy be finding it's way to :von: ?
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
TheBoyNextDoor

All songs is published except for Still and Slept (I couldn't find them anyway).

A good way to find out is looking at GEMA site. Gema.de and look in their database.

If we are going to release it we have to pay some money to the publishers, don't know how much though...
and don't know if we have to tell anyone we are pressing a record. :innocent:
Syberberg

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:All songs is published except for Still and Slept (I couldn't find them anyway).

A good way to find out is looking at GEMA site. Gema.de and look in their database.

If we are going to release it we have to pay some money to the publishers, don't know how much though...
:notworthy: :notworthy: Thanks for that. I had a search on ASCAP and found that "Slept" has been published, but no sign of "Still".
TheBoyNextDoor

Oops! I also found Slept yesterday, silly me forgetting such a thing. :oops:

Nice to see them publishing songs, now.. all they have to do is put them "on a CD" and sell them via iTunes and Musicbrigade. :innocent:
mh
Above the Chemist

OK, I'll update the status maybe tomorrow, right now I have a colossal attack of the yawns.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

and I can't be ersed doing anymore work on this, tonight
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sorry to be picky James, but shouldn't the W be the M upside-down?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

markfiend wrote:Sorry to be picky James, but shouldn't the W be the M upside-down?
Actually it should be an 'F' (a 'digamma' as they say) :innocent:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

that's why I couldn't be arsed
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: fairy nuff.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
robertzombie
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:and I can't be ersed doing anymore work on this, tonight
Wow that's great! :D Where can I find the font you used for it?
James Blast
Banned

it's not a font that you can type on a keyboard, you have to manipulate those pesky new characters which is why I couldn't be arsed ;D
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hmmm. Know of any freeware (Mac) font design progs? I'm sure with a bit of fiddling, it would be possible to do something from Caslon Antique.

Not now though. Nearly hometime ;)
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

I think I've got an old version of Fontographer for OS 9 at work, I had a fanny about with it years ago but found it unfathomable.
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

Ok, tonight I could be arsed and knowing how much you folks like a bit of 'bevel and emboss' in Photoshop + hidden images (not so hidden in this case), I came up with this:
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Good work! 8) :notworthy:

Liking the combination of the old and new logos :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
mh
Above the Chemist

Status Update : moved to here

Correct me if I have anything assways here.

There's nothing wrong with each song being taken more than once, as with only 10 or so to choose from there will be plenty of room for at least 2 versions of each song.

We really need takers for the other 5 before we can consider this a serious project. Anyone interested?
Last edited by mh on 09 Sep 2006, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Syberberg

James Blast wrote:Ok, tonight I could be arsed and knowing how much you folks like a bit of 'bevel and emboss' in Photoshop + hidden images (not so hidden in this case), I came up with this:
Superb James. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

EDIT:

I knew I'd forget something...

@mh I strongly suggest getting the CD mastered and letting all bands/atrists in question know what the mastering house wants in the way of volume levels, etc. before we start sending you the files. I know the one I pointed you in the direction of asks that no song goes above -3dB and prefer songs to be no louder than -6dB. Of course, it's entirely up you how you proceed and what kind of buget you've got.
Last edited by Syberberg on 08 Sep 2006, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
James Blast
Banned

Why, thankee! Syberberg :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

Over all, a sound engineer <cough> IZ <cough> would be a good thing, or are we going all mature?
~ Peter Steele
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:Status Update

Taken:
Come Together: Motz
Summer: H Blackrose
Susanne: The Mumbles
Will I Dream?: Mugabe
Summer: Jost 7 (looking for vocalist)
Crash and Burn: CommodoreRock (tentative)
Crash and Burn: The Hated Reign (Bastardized version)
Coffee and Groupie vetting: Norman Hunter
Cover: James Blast

Missing:
Top Nite Out
Romeo Down
War On Drugs
Slept
Still

Correct me if I have anything assways here.

There's nothing wrong with each song being taken more than once, as with only 10 or so to choose from there will be plenty of room for at least 2 versions of each song.

We really need takers for the other 5 before we can consider this a serious project. Anyone interested?
Top Nite Out always sounded to me like Hawkwind/Motorhead should have written it - and I mean that nicely :)
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
James Blast
Banned

Zuma wrote:Top Nite Out always sounded to me like Hawkwind/Motorhead should have written it)
You cannot be serious!

~ Peter Steele
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Aye, whoopy sirens in the intro and monolithic rythym guitars doing a root, 5th, 3rd, kind of thing...Keyboard stabs echoing the guitar part a third higher..

It's just me then :oops:
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news