First gig/Last gig/Worst gig/Best gig

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

pi$$ed again JB?
I am, but today was a different day. Sad and Joyful
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Mellow ... I do like this Foo-fighters thing though. :notworthy:

A bit like the Mish to the Sisters and FF to Nirvana type thing. I'd sleep with Jim Scott any day and anyway. Again, a top man but not as worthy (in my HL eyes) as doc P. :von:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

JB wrote:Mellow ... I do like this Foo-fighters thing though. :notworthy:

A bit like the Mish to the Sisters and FF to Nirvana type thing. I'd sleep with Jim Scott any day and anyway. Again, a top man but not as worthy (in my HL eyes) as doc P. :von:
My flatmate is a huge Foos fan. Well, more of Dave Grohl. Everytime there is an ad break in whatever drivel she happens to be watching at the time so flicks round the music channels (MTV, MTV2, Kerrang, Skuzz and a couple of others) on "Dave Patrol". Worryingly, there is not usually more than a 5 min flick to pick up something either by Nivana or the Foos.

I gotta say their last album was very good though.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

First gig: Toyah, Manchester Apollo, 1980- All the hits and more.
Last gig: Move Festival, Manchester- give me more Cure NOW.
Best gig: The Wonderstuff/Neds Atomic Dustbin, Brixton Academy- managed to wring approximately two pints of sweat out of my t-shirt on the way to the tube.
Worst gig: Mudhoney, Reading Festival- questioning my whole existence in the mud, cold and rain at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon.
Most anticipated gig: The next Sisters one, of course.
Loudest gig: Sugar at Finsbury Park- had to lie on the ground to escape the noise but it still hurt. Could also be Swans at Liverpool Mardi Gras but was less painful due to being paid to be at that one.
Furthest gig: The m*****n, Le Zenith, Paris, courtesy of Monsieur Ray Ramone.
Worst attended gig: Happy Mondays at Liverpool University. 8 tickets sold, not many more there.
Best attended gig: Oasis at Wembley Stadium.
Most emotional gig: The Chameleons' homecoming at Manchester Ritz, September 2002. Mark, Mark above everything else.
Rowdiest gig: The Beastie Boys at Liverpool Royal Court, October '84. Cans and bottles a go-go, CS gas and the crowd toppling the PA. Again, was paid to watch this one!
Most over-hyped and utterly boring gig: The Orb, Manchester Academy. Suitable for inclusion in a cardiac rehabilitation programme.
Most 'Doh! I never made it, ever' gig: The Smiths, anywhere.
Most life-changing gig: The Sisters, Manchester Gallery, March 1983.

Could also say that the saddest-in-retrospect gig was Nirvana headlining Reading Festival but at the time it was just the funniest gig.
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Gripper wrote: Last gig: Move Festival, Manchester- give me more Cure NOW.
Best gig: The Wonderstuff/Neds Atomic Dustbin, Brixton Academy- managed to wring approximately two pints of sweat out of my t-shirt on the way to the tube.
Worst gig: Mudhoney, Reading Festival- questioning my whole existence in the mud, cold and rain at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon.
Loudest gig: Sugar at Finsbury Park- had to lie on the ground to escape the noise but it still hurt.
Could also say that the saddest-in-retrospect gig was Nirvana headlining Reading Festival but at the time it was just the funniest gig.
:eek: blimey - I was at all of the above gigs! Sugar were indeed loud at Finsbury Park; Mudhoney ended up covered in... well... mud at Reading! (and the less said about the L7 "tampon incident" the better :|
The Scene won't save you...
biggy

first: The Specials - Rotherham

last: Auf Der Maur last Monday Nottingham

best: The original Stooges reunion

worst: John Otway/ Eddie and the hotrods & others, a worse package than Mandy Dingle in the post...... actually, scrub that ... just remembered Cradle of Filth.

Next: P J Harvey tonight Manchester , Tues Leeds, Weds Notts & Undertones Friday Manchester.
Gripper

Scardwel wrote:the less said about the L7 "tampon incident" the better :|
Indeed, and it wasn't ME who threw it back...
PS apologies for not saying hello at The Phono last week. Some other time...
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

that whole Reading was an experience, Gripper...

and i didn't throw it back either.

I should have dragged you over to Scardwel and Doomy.Sorry.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
sisxbeforedawn

First gig - some band in a pub, can't even remember the name
Last Gig - beyound the veil (Last Dance, Bella Morte, Screaming Banshee Air Crew, etc, ect)
Worst Gig - Screaming Banshee Air Crew
Best gig - NMA 21st anniversary gig :notworthy:
I met a devil woman, she took my heart away
The Grinn Reaper
Road Kill

[
@Dave R: SLADE! You lucky b@stard.
@The Grinn Reaper: I saw the Two Tone Tour in Swindon. You can't beat a good suit.
@JB: I used to serenade my first love with Quo's Caroline when I was 11. guess what her name was? :roll:[/quote]

There are rumours going around that the original specials are about to re-form.that's one gig i would love to see. :notworthy:
Bass-deep,deep-toned,low pitched,resonant.And goddamned cool
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

sisxbeforedawn wrote:Worst Gig - Screaming Banshee Air Crew
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

i seem to be involved in a minor feud with said band pver some comments i made on the sheepish.net forums about their gig @ the bassment :lol:

myself and a chap called eBlue commented on the fact that even though they tried really, really hard to be specimen, they had neither the tunes, the talent nor the cheekbones.. and that in fact they were actually just a bunch of stunningly average goth musicians. oh, and i think we may have also said that the lass couldn't carry a tune in a bucket ;)

seems their singer, "mr ed", got a trifle upset and has since been asking friends of friends who i am in a bid to validate his band's worth by trying to proove that with a name like "quiff boy" i must have no idea what goth music is about.

:innocent:

all of which was made even more amusing when they turned up at the "heartland vs the sheep" night last week and even danced to half the tunes i played :lol:

bloody goths :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

But did you introduce yourself?? :D :D :D
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Thea
Overbomber

bleh. I love SBA... And last time i checked - they like me too - their singer mailed me and asked very nicely to use some pics i took on their website.
They might not be the most credable band on the planet, but they're a good laugh and i like 'em :P
James Blast
Banned

play nice now children or we're not going to Wacky Warehouse
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
F--kwit
Road Kill

First gig - The Jesus & Mary Chain, Manchester International 1986. It was over 18s and we were only 14, so desite never having been much of a goth I let my goth best mate do my make-up so we looked suitably ageless and got in no problem.

Last gig - The Boxer Rebellion, Oldham Castle last night. They were pretty average. A double treat from two of my official second fave bands (I have five) Moco and Fear Of Music the night before was much better.

Next gig - god I don't know, may not be for a few days... I get itchy if I go hree days without a gig... (checks diary) oh yeah Badly Drawn Boy at the Bridgewater Hall (posh, huh?) on Wednesday.

Best gig - A toss up...

- the Chameleons in New York 2/10/02 where they did a full acoustic set and then a full electric set, and it was Bloke's birthday and all the band and American fans we'd just met for the first time signed a card for him - best gig I ever saw them play as well, and my first ever transatlantic gig jaunt.

- British Sea Power*, Köln Gebaeude-9, 23rd September 2003. Not only one of the band's best gigs but an end of tour party of spectacular levels of debauchery, augmented by Bloke and Frazer's discovery that there was 50 eurocents back on every returned bottle, so after the band finished they clamly collected evey abandoned bottle in the venue - presto, several free rounds. Which lasted us until the band emerged with the remains of the most generous drinks rider I have ever seen....

Worst gig - In terms of enjoyment Mark Burgess in Bielefeld on 24th September 2003 would have to rate fairly up there, as I had the worst hangover I have ever had in my life (the more observant amongst you may notice why) and spent much of the gig lying moaning in a corner whilst my friend Frauke administered banana juice which she promised would help, and getting kicked occasionaly by German goths in huge boots who also kicked my other half and our mate Frazer off the table football and wouldn't let them back on. Plus I struggle to find anyone - even my one-time number one musical hero - any good when I'm still coming down off a BSP gig.

* Actually I think the band did surpass that one at London Cargo in April this year, but that would completely ruin the next bit...
You ain't seen me, right?
Lynchfanatic
Fire Walking Owl

First gig : Hmmm, I think that shall remain a secret :oops: :innocent:
Last gig : Gothminister and Das Ich
Best gig : Thats a though one, I love going to concerts, everyone is best in its own way. But if I had to choose, it would be a tie between Midnight Choir, Heather Nova, Low and Gothminister/Das Ich oh and Coldplay. Darn I could go on and mention every gig ive been to hehe.
Worst gig : Heather Nova, the first time. The people were talking do damn much even Heather stopped and tried to tell people to shut up. And there had been lots of problems with the sound system, so I think she was pretty annoyed. And waiting in line for hours in minus 25 celcius. And Hope Sandoval, even though that should be with the best gig category. But the poor woman is so shy she had no light at all on her, I was in the front and got a glimps of her face only a couple of time. And it was so good, it was like standing in the dark listening to a cd with lots of people.
Next gig : Not sure, maybe Rammstein.
Most looked forward to : Hope Sandoval and Gothminister/Das Ich.
myspace.com/lynchfanatic
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

First Gig: (Other than mates' bands in pubs) All About Eve @ Manchester Apollo and then Wonderstuff @ the Boardwalk the same night. It must have been '87?
Last Gig: Smurphs @ the Basement. Other than that, last "real" band (sorry Paddy) was probably the Sisters @ Blank Canvas :o no gigs for more than a year? :oops:
Best Gig: Fields Of The Nephilim @ Leeds Uni 1990. :notworthy: * several million. Also loudest gig :lol:
Worst Gig: Pulp @ Sheffield arena. No atmosphere, and the support was Edwin Collins :urff: Can't even remember why we went!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

first gig: (apart fron dodgy local pub gigs) gene pitney, queen elizabeth hall, oldham, 1987ish :notworthy: :lol:

nah, first "real one" was goodbye mr mackenzie, manchester uni, 1989

last gig: smurphs @ crewe a couple of weeks ago :notworthy:

best gig: smurphs @ crewe a couple of weeks ago :lol: :notworthy:
2nd fave was the sisters 20th anniversary gig in york :notworthy:
3rd fave was the chameleons' comeback gigs at the witchwood in ashton - 5 consecutive days of gigs at the same venue, a homecoming par extraordinaire - i caught day 5 (i think) :von:

worst gig: the sisters @ manchester academy, 1st sept 2000 (bloody awful sound, bloody awful performance, bloody miserable crowd)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
vicus

First: KISS (Bremen 1980)
Last: Hurricane Festival 2004 (Cure, Pixies, Bowie etc.)
Worst: Pink Tuns Blue (ca. 1995, support was James Rays Gangwar, Hamburg, Markthalle), Within Temptation (they played after The Cure at this year's Hurricane Festival)
Best: cannot decide between Pop Will Eat Itself (Roskilde 1996), Sisters (Hamburg 1990), Ramones, Cramps, Slime and Siouxsie (Northeim 1996), Bad Religion (Bremen 1989), The Gathering (Roskilde 96 and 01)
Loudest: Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (Hamburg 1995?)
Last edited by vicus on 08 Sep 2004, 19:24, edited 2 times in total.
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Debaser
Overbomber

First gig: T.Rex - Lincoln's ABC 1971/2ish (was only ikkle ...SHUT IT PiB)

Last gig: The Libertines - New York's Bowery Ballroom (what an ACE venue - but the band? well I shan't ever have to see them again...)

Best gig: HHmmmnnnn Pixies Leicester DeMontfort 1987ish?? My first time and they blew me away (also lost my sanity and ability to be in confined spaces mid set...) Faithless - Nottingham Rock City 199something, flippin AWESOME. Julian Cope - London's Lyric Theatre, got front row seats, dead excited..he spent oooh all of thirty seconds on stage and proceeded to make his way to the middle of the theatre and do the gig from there!! :roll: He hugged Gaz and whispered sweet nothings into his ear, me? I was a coy gibbering wreck next to him.

Oh I've got TONS of best gigs

Worst gig: Crass Lincoln's Silvergate Ballroom 1981ish. Dingy, sound was awful and general pappness abound. James - Birmingham NEC 199summatz, the support band were the frikkin Stereophonics, so already on a downer and the sound was bloody abysmal! Such a shame coz James always looked so fabulous on live vids.

Next gig: Supposed to be P J Harvey on Wed - but I've still not got me tix....eeek

Most looked forwards to: Well I got really giddy at the back end of last year and this year what with Jane's Addiction, Julian, Killing Joke and The Pixies...so now I am most looking forwards to NIN announcing a tour...oh and The Chameleons :roll: :roll: we all have to dream don't we?
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
rian
Slight Overbomber

First gig: David Bowie 1985 (Glass spider tour)

Last gig: Kaizers Orchestra 2004

Best gig: Kaizers Orchestra 2003, The Chameleons 2002, Brittish Sea Power 2003 or 2002

Worst gig: Rolling Stones 1998/99

Next gig: Motörhead, December 2004

And if we talk about best gigs with swedish musicians: Lars Demian (all 15 gigs I've been too) Stefan Sundström (all 10 gigs)

Oh, and worth a mention as great gigs: Iggy Pop 1999/2000, Nina Hagen 1998/1999
I think someone set my soul alight
randdebiel²

first gig: michael jacckson torhout (belgium) somewhere 87ich (I was 9 years old, ok? :o )
last gig:einstuerzende neubauten ab 2004, brilliant gig btw...
best gig...should be a sisters one...ochtrup 96 (first sisters gig, didn't even know them before that, I'd gone to the place to see the sex pistols :o ) or ab brussels 1998 then....(the free gig with the brilliant "you'll be very sorry you ever asked for this"
worst gig: bad religion ghent 1996 or something...even though there are probably ven worse gigs my memory isblocking off right now (probably something by peter hamill....)
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

I missed out U2 Zooropa at Wembley '92. Amazing stuff.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
randdebiel²

btw ..do warm up gigs for the sisters count as 'worst gigs' because...we had a famous one at that ab concert....quite astonishing really:
the band would play song after song, the public would not move an inch, not apllaud a single time after the songs, until the now legendary words amongst belgian sisters fans:"this is our last song, then we leave" after which an enormous roar appeared in the audience mass hysteria followed....
wby the time the sisters arrived on stage, everyone was on fire....one of the truly great moments of my life :)
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
Spiggy's hat

[quote="markfiend"]First Gig: (Other than mates' bands in pubs) All About Eve @ Manchester Apollo and then Wonderstuff @ the Boardwalk the same night. It must have been '87?

If the Bolshoi were supporting AAE that night it was May 88.
I was at that gig too, and had my walkman conficated 2 songs into the set :x
Give me one good reason