MM - "Personal Jesus"

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
MoonKnight
Road Kill

Anyone listen and/or saw too the new single of Marylin Manson, the cover of "Personal Jesus" of Depeche Mode??

I must say, YEAH!! It truely rocks, like the other covers by Manson and I must say if not him, who else could make such a great evil cover-version?

Anyway, the cover-story by Manson seem to be well continued...

What you thinking about?

I like DM very a lot, but I just think if someone cover that song, then MM!!

Rocks! :notworthy:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

:urff: :urff:
No disrespect but I find they alwsys manage to ruin classic songs. Tainted love and Sweet Dreams being two of 'em
and now Persanol Jesus??

Christ on a bike
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

why cant the f*ck sack write his own material?

3 cover versions all released as singles is stretching it a bit :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:3 cover versions all released as singles is stretching it a bit :roll:
3 cover versions all released as singles says just one word to me.

BOYBAND
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

"let's take songs our audience's parents love and mangle them!!" :roll:

Once a song has been covered by Mr Cash no one else should be allowed near it.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

@ markfiend: hegg zakerly! :roll:

@ hal: :notworthy: :notworthy:
flowersdie
Road Kill

It's awful.
I never saw you again
hallucienate
Overbomber

so he's sticking to form then?
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Seems to be. I mean, what kind of a band actually, y'know, releases records and s**t?

That's so 1992, isn't it?
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
sisxbeforedawn
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

sorry, but I just hate MM. think he's just a produced act just like any ohter boy or girl band
I met a devil woman, she took my heart away
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah, I guess you're right there andy. OK, so releasing hods of cover versions may well be lazy, but it's a fuck of a lot less lazy than releasing sod-all.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

andymackem wrote:Seems to be. I mean, what kind of a band actually, y'know, releases records and ****?

That's so 1992, isn't it?
harsh but fair :lol:

:( :urff: :roll:
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Yeah, I guess you're right there andy. OK, so releasing hods of cover versions may well be lazy, but it's a fuck of a lot less lazy than releasing sod-all.
Wow. Haven't heard someone use the word "hods" for years. :notworthy:

Takes me back to school. And sends me off-topic. Did anyone else use "hellish" to mean really good? Or was that just a Sunderland thing?
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

andymackem wrote:Wow. Haven't heard someone use the word "hods" for years.
Oops. At least you knew what I meant! :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
christophe
Overbomber

I like MM's work, but its a bit over hyped. I do like his Covers; he knows how to bring them in his own way. And so what if he is "produced", as long I like his music he's okay in my Book. :D

But you are probably right he owes his popularity to his covers and not by his own music...
ryan

i didnt mind it actually. and of course its better that he releases a cover song rather than anymore of his NEW work, god forbid. The last album was typical manson s**t. But its almost like someone added to that s**t and created a new breed of s**t....

for god sakes manson, reach out and touch faith! :roll:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i don't get the impression that he's "produced" in the sense of a svengali figure behind the scenes creating an image for him... i think brian IS the svengali and that "marylin manson" is a contrived personality that he's tailored and adapted in order to get into public consciousness in a very deliberate and considered way.

he's a very intelligent chap and from the couple of interviews i've seen of him he seems to be a man with a plan.

still don't like his tunes though ;)

his music is too conventionally angry, too obviously "shocking"

i think NIN were better when they were miserable rather than angry, and that "body electric" is the angriest song i've ever heard.

its not how loud you shout or how distorted your drums & guitars are, its about what you're saying, and as far as i can see von is spitting pure venom with body electric where as MM is saying "look, i'm a freak, hate me for being wild and wacky".

:roll:
ryan

i really cant think of anything that a performer could do that would be considered shoking anymore :|
christophe
Overbomber

@ QuiffI didn’t actually mean he is produced like some boys band.
But the look of the band and there songs are well put together, in order to chock and still be commercial I think his covers are a way to get to people he would otherwise not reach. And it is not a bad way. I must say I really like what he has done so far.
@ ryan
if we could think about it, it wouldn’t shock us anymore :wink: don’t be afraid there are ways. :twisted:
And maybe it isn’t meant to shock us but to tell another story than CNN and let us decide what to believe and what to do…
ryan

nah. the whole fu ck the news and the goverment is old :(

its too hard to think of something fresh, all the good things are taken :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Quiff Boy wrote:MM is saying "look, i'm a freak, hate me for being wild and wacky".
i forgot to add "which makes him a sad, sad tw*t" :lol:
rian
Slight Overbomber

I heard that song on the radio yesterday. And yes, the original is better.

But it didn't sounded "that" bad. But I'm not a fan of covers.

But I do have the CD that other bands are doing covers of DM songs. Pretty good actually.
I think someone set my soul alight
dead stars

Quiff Boy wrote:i don't get the impression that he's "produced" in the sense of a svengali figure behind the scenes creating an image for him... i think brian IS the svengali and that "marylin manson" is a contrived personality that he's tailored and adapted in order to get into public consciousness in a very deliberate and considered way.

he's a very intelligent chap and from the couple of interviews i've seen of him he seems to be a man with a plan.

still don't like his tunes though ;)

his music is too conventionally angry, too obviously "shocking"
I'm surprised by your opinion, Quiff. I would say for sure you'd hate him. How strange.
However, I met Brian Warner (Marilyn Manson) personally, and he is a very intelligent individual, I can guarantee that. I myself was surprised. Delightfully surprised.
Quiff Boy wrote: i think NIN were better when they were miserable rather than angry, and that "body electric" is the angriest song i've ever heard.
Interesting, never had thought of the angriest song I've ever heard, but I'm sure I've heard angrier than Body Electric. Just give me time to go through my record collection...
Quiff Boy wrote: its not how loud you shout or how distorted your drums & guitars are, its about what you're saying, and as far as i can see von is spitting pure venom with body electric where as MM is saying "look, i'm a freak, hate me for being wild and wacky".

:roll:
I don't think Marylin Manson is saying that... I'd say he is highly provocative in America because it's very bad to say anything "bad" about America in America.
What he said in the press conference I was in was that Europe is a lot more tolerant and educated than the States - about why his gigs weren't banned here.
I was very surprised. This happened in 1996.
I wonder, sometimes, especially listening to "Holy Wood", how come no one has killed him yet.
~dead stars still burn~
moonchild

dead stars wrote: However, I met Brian Warner (Marilyn Manson) personally, and he is a very intelligent individual, I can guarantee that. I myself was surprised. Delightfully surprised.
I didn't met him personally (damn) but i saw many interviews, specially when he was in japan, and i must agree that he is really very intelligent with a very strong personality.
I like his music a lot (from a long time) and i think he is the best doing covers.

amen
Dan
Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote::urff: :urff:
No disrespect but I find they alwsys manage to ruin classic songs. Tainted love and Sweet Dreams being two of 'em
I prefer his version of Sweet Dreams to the original, I'm not overly keen on his interpretation of Tainted Love though.
Quiff Boy wrote:... i think brian IS the svengali and that "marylin manson" is a contrived personality that he's tailored and adapted in order to get into public consciousness in a very deliberate and considered way.
Yeh, that's obvious (to me anyway). He's a showman, he's not really satanic and bla bla bla. In the interviews I've seen of him he always behaves normally, and not in character as "Marilyn Manson". He seems like an intelligent guy.

I haven't heard his version of Personal Jesus. I shall download it later.