lifting the soundtrack from a DVD?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Petseri
Overbomber

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to copy just the audio from a DVD to burn onto CD? For example, can it be copied as a .wav file easily? There are a couple of concert DVDs from which I would not mind having just the audio to take with me.

For that matter, how about the audio from a Real file? Can that be converted easily to a .wav file?

Martin
wintermute
Amphetamine Filth

lo-tech answer, take a feed from the audio out on the DVD (usually phono jacks) and lead it into the microphone input (usually 1/4 inch jack) on your computer. then record on pretty much any standard package probably as a .wav file. it's a bit ropy but beats humming it any day.

hi-tech answer, talk to someone who's more knowledgeable and spends long hours locked in the basement, but be prepared to get lost in a welter of file formats and code words.

best of luck, i watch with interest to see if there IS an easy way
then he takes your hand in some strange californian handshake and breaks the bone
DerekR
Doobie Brother

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ will let you strip the audio to an .AC3 file, then you can use any number of programs to convert this to a .WAV or .MP3. I use one called HeadACHE.

Let me know if you need a step-by-step walkthrough.
Petseri
Overbomber

DerekR wrote:http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ will let you strip the audio to an .AC3 file, then you can use any number of programs to convert this to a .WAV or .MP3. I use one called HeadACHE.

Thanks, Derek. I have DVD Decrytper. I will see what I can do with the .AC3 files. First things first, but I will play around with it to see what I can do. I may get back to you if I need help at some point. Thanks.

Martin
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

1. Play the DVD.
2. Crank it up.
3. Record with portable cassette deck.
4. Enjoy.

Or...ermmm...sorry....80s flash.

When you have cinch connections(RCA) on your soundcard, use those. They are the best for recording with zero noise. And you have a stereo RCA output on most DVDs, too (you do not need those fancy Dolby Digital outputs for this).
There are a lot of free proggies for recording sound, and/or use CoolEdit Pro, Soundforge or similar.

Success!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Petseri
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:1. Play the DVD.
2. Crank it up.
3. Record with portable cassette deck.
4. Enjoy.

Or...ermmm...sorry....80s flash.

IZ.
Mental note: how IZ wants his copies when I reweed gigs. :wink:
Petseri
Overbomber

Petseri wrote:
DerekR wrote:http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ will let you strip the audio to an .AC3 file, then you can use any number of programs to convert this to a .WAV or .MP3. I use one called HeadACHE.

Thanks, Derek. I have DVD Decrytper. I will see what I can do with the .AC3 files. First things first, but I will play around with it to see what I can do. I may get back to you if I need help at some point. Thanks.

Martin
Decrypting to VOB files seemed to be easy enough, but how to get AO3 ones? I did a search for guides or articles at the DVD Deprypter website forum, but it came up empty. I may take you up on your offer for help. :notworthy: Let me know when you have moved in.

Martin
mh
Above the Chemist

I've used a combo of SmartRipper and DVD2AVI for this, very successfully in the past. They're not the most intuitive tools, but are very very powerful and there's a good short tutorial on the web (don't have the link anymore - sorry).
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Petseri wrote:Decrypting to VOB files seemed to be easy enough, but how to get AO3 ones?
AO3? Did you mean AC3?

Here's how.

Make sure DVD decrypter is in IFO mode. You will see one or more PGC files in the right window. These are the title files on the disc, some DVDs will have more than one but you should be able to find the correct main movie one by looking at the running time in square brackets. The others will be used for menus, trailers, extras, etc. Select the one you want then select 'stream processing' on the right hand tab. Then tick 'enable stream processing'. Tick the box for audio only, if that's all you want (ie don't tick the box for 'video'), make sure that you also tick the 'demux' box whilst the audio is highlighted. Change your destination options as you would normally on the left and hit the large 'decrypt' button. You should end up with a file called something like 'VTS_01_PGC_01_1 - 0x80 - Audio - AC3 - 2ch - 48kHz - DRC - English.AC3' in your destination folder (I think it sticks them in a VIDEO_TS subfolder by default). Ignore the complicated filename and rename it whatever you like, keeping the AC3 extension.

Then you can do what you like with the AC3 file, convert it to WAV, MP3, whatever.

Hope this has been of some help. Let me know if you get stuck.
Petseri
Overbomber

Thanks, DerekR. :notworthy: It seems to have done the trick (although I have not actually burned it to CD yet, it is sitting on my hard drive).

Martin