m*****n tracks originated from the sisters

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

Anyone finding a mish verse that does not contain at least one hackneyed cliche should query its origins in my opinion.
Lord of the Night
Road Kill

Christ this place is full of nerds !
" Dennison to Mutch , Mutch onto Bull , goal ! "
James Blast
Banned

Lord of the Night wrote:Christ this place is full of nerds !
play nice, or no jelly and iced cream for you
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Lord of the Night
Road Kill

Can't handle the E numbers I'm afraid - I have to stick to Banks' Mild !
" Dennison to Mutch , Mutch onto Bull , goal ! "
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Wayne actually never made any bones about his difficulty with getting the lyrics together. Still, if you listen to either the Masque or Blue albums they have some good stuff on them - IMHO. First version of Dance on Glass appeared in '81 on a local Liverpool collection btw.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Karst wrote:...on a local Liverpool collection btw.
IIRC Wayne gets a mention in Julian Cope's Head On, something to do with when he was in Dead Or Alive.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

MrChris wrote:Blimey, Mession lyrics don't come over well in print, do they?
In print? :innocent:

Aww, sorry Wayne! I still do a little dance to 'Deliverance', I just forget all the English I know first. ;D
Last edited by boudicca on 22 Sep 2004, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ooof. Harsh.

But fair ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
boudicca
Sister Midnight

markfiend wrote:Ooof. Harsh.
Yeah, well I edited it, because I realised how hypocritical that is for someone who is in possesion of Mish records.. I'm quite a good lyric-ignorer when I need to be. :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hey, don't beat yourself up about it ;D I must confess to a couple of Mish records myself. Lyrics aren't the be-all and end-all of music; there's the music too :lol:

I can think of a couple of Sisters songs with crap lyrics too.

"Phantom" and "Snub Nose/Top Nite Out" ;)
—Bertrand Russell
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

its interesting that some people who claim to like sisters' music do not like the mish - which often seems to be a pragmatic decision, maybe even obsessive; or a sign of (blind?) loyalty.

just let the music entertain you.

if it helps, even von once mentioned that the music of the m*****n 'is ganz ok'
love is just a shot away
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

jost 7 wrote:its interesting that some people who claim to like sisters' music do not like the mish - which often seems to be a pragmatic decision, maybe even obsessive; or a sign of (blind?) loyalty.
not really.

since about 1987 the two bands have had very different musical directions with very different aesthetic values.

and when eldritch puts his stamp on a record, whatever it sounds like, it has a different feel to when wayne & co put there stamp on a record.

i just dont particularly like the mish's aesthetic, or wayne's "stamp". he can rattle off a mean "twiddly bit" on his guitar (see first half on "children") but thats about it for me i'f afraid :ruff:

i just dont see the two as being similar at all...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
jost 7 wrote:its interesting that some people who claim to like sisters' music do not like the mish - which often seems to be a pragmatic decision, maybe even obsessive; or a sign of (blind?) loyalty.
not really.

since about 1987 the two bands have had very different musical directions with very different aesthetic values.

and when eldritch puts his stamp on a record, whatever it sounds like, it has a different feel to when wayne & co put there stamp on a record.

i just dont particularly like the mish's aesthetic, or wayne's "stamp". he can rattle off a mean "twiddly bit" on his guitar (see first half on "children") but thats about it for me i'f afraid :ruff:

i just dont see the two as being similar at all...
its everybody's own decision - for heaven's sake.....
i think its clear that the sisters' stamp is different from the m*****n's stamp. although they are in fact different (especially their aesthetics) they have many similarities - at least i can see a lot of them.

but i really think that some sisters fans do have an obsessive hostility against the m*****n - which is nothing but stupid.
love is just a shot away
hallucienate
Overbomber

jost 7 wrote: but i really think that some sisters fans do have an obsessive hostility against the m*****n - which is nothing but stupid.
that's because it's really fun to do.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

jost 7 wrote:if it helps, even von once mentioned that the music of the m*****n 'is ganz ok'
That surprises me. I do see a hell of a lot of musical similarities, but still - they must have slipped some happy pills into his Earl Grey that day. :wink:
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Gods Own MEdicine obviously has some striking similarities with the previous Sisters material. But I agree 'Children' was big on the reverb and CarvedinSand sticking to a formula. Big unit shiftgers while Wayne was busy being a pop star. Worked well at the time - think the direction of Masque was brave and it has some excellent song writing on it.

All in all there really is no point in comparing. Both bands have very different angles musically and profile - release wise.
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:"Phantom" and "Snub Nose/Top Nite Out" ;)
:lol:
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

interesting... i missed this comment the first time of reading :roll:

http://www.ghostdance.co.uk/discography ... p?id=river

Ghost Dance Discography : Recording Diaries

River Of No Return
Gary Marx wrote:The Sisters minus Eldritch had actually recorded a version of the song which became Yesterday Again in Strawberry. It was originally titled Frail And Torn and Wayne sang my half finished lyric one afternoon along with the first draft of the Mission’s Garden Of Delight. We used to refer to Frail And Torn jokingly as a potential Christmas single for the Sisters.
;)

and the following couple of paragraphs are also worthy of note, even if they're slightly off this topic:
Gary Marx wrote:Celebrate was sort of written in my head on my birthday while out in the Black Swan in Wakefield. My birthday was the same day as the Sisters’ Royal Albert Hall Show, recorded for posterity on the Wake video. I was going to play the gig and then didn’t (far too hideous a tale to go into here). I knew by then it was going to mark the end of the Sisters as a real band and knew a good many of the crew and the following who would be at the gig and the emotion surrounding the evening – Celebrate was sort of a song for and about the event I wasn’t taking part in. I viewed it fairly positively – it wasn’t meant to be a rant by the injured party or anything.

Lines like ‘and on this hallowed ground..’ were really about the reverence the venue and the occasion seemed to invite and a sort of mental picture I had of the human pyramids, arms aloft and the smoke reaching up into the dome.
:(
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

also, from the same diary
Gary Marx wrote:The actual recording was done with Steve Allen in Leeds in the freezing cold winter of 85-86. He had originally had a tiny studio in a rehearsal complex off Armley Road where I’d been with Wayne to record some new demos with him singing. We attempted the track which became Cruel Light but never finished it.
Francis
Overbomber

jost 7 wrote:but i really think that some sisters fans do have an obsessive hostility against the m*****n - which is nothing but stupid.
Or had lost interest in both before the latter even reared its ugly head.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
James Blast
Banned

Takes guts or gut reaction to turn down a gig at RAH, and sorry, Hussey played up a storm that night.
Waynes solo on 'Heavens Door' is still up there
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Francis
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Waynes solo on 'Heavens Door' is still up there
Where? There on the stair? :lol:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
James Blast
Banned

on the 3rd floor landing, along with 'Comfortably Numb' Dave Gilmour, 'Silver Machine' Dave Brock, 'The Cinema Show' Steve Hacket... must I go on?
~ Peter Steele
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I always thought Guns n Roses ripped off Hussey's take on Knocking On Heavens Door a storm....

Just for the record, I like The m*****n, The Sisters and Ghost Dance. I also like beer, a fine French Burgundy and gin n tonic, and have no problem finding the right drink for the right occassion :)
boudicca
Sister Midnight

nodubmanshouts wrote:
Just for the record, I like The m*****n, The Sisters and Ghost Dance. I also like beer, a fine French Burgundy and gin n tonic, and have no problem finding the right drink for the right occassion :)
Which band corresponds to which drink? I think you've got it in the right order at the moment, myself - Wayne & co. - beer (mead?), Von Experience - a fine Burgundy indeed, Ghost Dance - bit more of a lady's drink- G&T. :lol: