how to stop those call-center tele-sales calls - very useful

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

a few guys at work have tried this and it works!

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

go to the bottom of the page and register: ta da! no more random telesales calls :)

the mps section also allows you to block junk post - even give previous occupant's forwarding addresses etc etc

very handy. :von:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I can vouch for the TPS too. Very handy.

With the added bonus that if a telesales person still calls you then you can raise all sorts of merry hell with them. :twisted:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
rian
Slight Overbomber

We have the same system over here. I signed in last week. Lets see if it works now.
I think someone set my soul alight
smiscandlon
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I can vouch for the TPS too. Very handy.

With the added bonus that if a telesales person still calls you then you can raise all sorts of merry hell with them. :twisted:
Likewise. I signed up for this a few years ago and haven't been bothered since (except for folks looking for Richard's Bar round the corner :( )
анархия
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Looks very handy but it'd ruin my favourite pastime of answering the phone, then asking them if they'd mind holding... at which point the phone gets left off the hook & I go do something else. A bloke stayed on for about 20 mins once, couldn't believe it when I went to hang up & he was still there. I did the noble thing though.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Purple Light wrote:Looks very handy but it'd ruin my favourite pastime of answering the phone, then asking them if they'd mind holding... at which point the phone gets left off the hook & I go do something else. A bloke stayed on for about 20 mins once, couldn't believe it when I went to hang up & he was still there. I did the noble thing though.
:lol: That is priceless! :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

There's a 'mail preference service' accessible from the same site too- stops loads of dead trees being shoved through your door on a daily basis. And it really works- we hardly ever get junk mail these days.

And there's a fax preference service too if you have a fax machine and keep getting offers to buy a Renault or something.
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Err, sorry QB. Just read your post properly and noticed you'd mentioned the mps already. Hope noone suggests a HLps otherwise I may be in trouble.
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I don't want to do that because then, if we ever get a call where no-one speaks, I'll assume I'm being stalked and take to wearing tinfoil over my head.

Also, they're the only people that ever phone these days... :cry:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets