Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
Something fast
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #26  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I always assumed it had something to do with Jimmy Swaggart. He was involved in a huge scandal around that time (picking up a Louisiana prostitue, homosexual accusations). After he was busted he went on TV and apologized, repenting for his sins, and started crying like a little girl. With relevance to the song, I think it's broken down like so...

"All the things we ever did were always confidential.." - in relation to his alleged affair with another male congregation member.

"...at a red light anywhere in town, hailing maries left and right..." - His arrest for prostitution.

"God knows everybody needs a hand in their decision some of us are not so sure..." - Swaggart said something similar to this in the TV appearance.

"I've seen his own held out for a ride on television..." - Swaggart being an evangelist.

"I think he's still in Baltimore." - Haven't a clue.
hallucienate
Overbomber

PostPost #27  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Swaggart's speech can be found here.
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #28  Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thought I should add that the Swaggart theory seems on par with Vons usual themes of religion and prostitution. Plus it's obscure (at least these days it is).
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #29  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A bit of Swaggart's big weepy confession is in the Dr Jeep video though- well I think it's him but it could be another sinful preacher,( there've been a few) & it was quite a big deal at the time. If I remember right that is.

Is he the one with the wife who looked like she had five dead spiders stuck to each eye? (Now that's what I call goff!) Or was that someone called Baker? I forget. No doubt one of our American correspondents can put me right.
James Blast
Banned

PostPost #30  Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Bakker pronounced baker
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

PostPost #31  Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The link James Blast posted wrote:
In his self-serving confession I Was Wrong, Jim admitted squandering church money on luxury cars and six mansions.
Jim Bakker wrote a book called I Was Wrong. The plot thickens!
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #32  Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

straylight wrote:
A bit of Swaggart's big weepy confession is in the Dr Jeep video though- well I think it's him but it could be another sinful preacher,( there've been a few) & it was quite a big deal at the time. If I remember right that is.

Is he the one with the wife who looked like she had five dead spiders stuck to each eye? (Now that's what I call goff!) Or was that someone called Baker? I forget. No doubt one of our American correspondents can put me right.

You're thinking of Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker. They're not as much fun to make fun of as they're really already parodies of themselves.
James Blast
Banned

PostPost #33  Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

CtrlAltDelete wrote:
You're thinking of Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker. They're not as much fun to make fun of as they're really already parodies of themselves.
like Swaggart or any of the rest of those charlatans aren't?
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #34  Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

James Blast wrote:
CtrlAltDelete wrote:
like Swaggart or any of the rest of those charlatans aren't?

None so much as the Bakkers. Especially Tammy, with her ridiculous makeup and dog. She had this tiny, irritating dog that she always carried. On tv she used to pretend the dog was talking, and often asked it for confirmation of what her or Jim had said.

"Jesus loves everyone, doesn't he ___ (whatever the dogs name was)?" And then she would wait for it to answer.

It was amusing.
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

PostPost #35  Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Exclamation
Quote:
Seventeen years after a federal court ruled that his church used undue influence to obtain more than $6 million from a donor, a Baltimore-based evangelist faces a new controversy in a different venue

click
Any good Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Lyrics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: