The NME

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:everyone go to that google page and follow the heartland link - that should improve our weighting ;) :innocent: :twisted:
Another way to boost the google weighting is to paste the following code into your webpages:

Code: Select all

<a href="http&#58;//www.myheartland.co.uk/">The Sisters Of Mercy forum</a>
:innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dan
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:everyone go to that google page and follow the heartland link - that should improve our weighting ;) :innocent: :twisted:
As far as I know google doesn't work like that. It calculates your ranking based on links to the site from other sites.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dan wrote:
As far as I know google doesn't work like that. It calculates your ranking based on links to the site from other sites.
so why has it changed based on a few people following the links? :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

<geek>

Google uses a recursive algorithm to calculate page ranking and search results. Because it's a recursive algorithm, the order of search results do tend to shuffle around a little all the time, but usually within a small margin.

Clicking on a link from Google to Heartland would slightly help Heartland's position, although as Dan inidicated, a much greater weighting is placed on links from other sites, particularly links from sites with a high Google Page Rank, as the Page Rank is then partially conferred to the linked site.

Heartland's Page Rank is currently 4/10. Reasonably impressive, although (for the sake of any web-geek competition between myself and the esteemed QB) not as high as the Lazarus Corporation which sits at a slightly better 5/10 - something the Lazarus Corporation shares in common with the official Sisters site. Except mine gets updated on a regular basis. And isn't about the Sisters.

If anyone wishes to up the Page Rank (and therefore the position of Heartland in Google's rankings) they could infect their machine with an official Google toolbar for IE (a double infection!) and click the happy smiley button when visiting Heartland after following a link from Google. This certainly helped for the Lazarus Corporation...

Additionally, badger and cajole anyone with a website to link to Heartland. They'd probably want a link back, so it might be worth setting up a links page on Heartland.

My SEO consultancy invoice is in the post. ;)

</geek>
Last edited by lazarus corporation on 22 Oct 2004, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

"web-geek competition" :lol:

we all know you'd win hands down ;) :notworthy:
hallucienate
Overbomber

I'll leave you guys to it, I'm gonna go back try to figure out how I can get PHP, PDF and MySQL to all work together the way I want them too :roll:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hallucienate wrote:I'll leave you guys to it, I'm gonna go back try to figure out how I can get PHP, PDF and MySQL to all work together the way I want them too :roll:
http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/PDF-Generation-With-PHP

;)
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
hallucienate wrote:I'll leave you guys to it, I'm gonna go back try to figure out how I can get PHP, PDF and MySQL to all work together the way I want them too :roll:
http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/PDF-Generation-With-PHP

;)
they use this: http://www.pdflib.com/ and I've been using this: www.fpdf.org so far I'm almost there, I think 8)