Something fast

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

I always assumed it had something to do with Jimmy Swaggart. He was involved in a huge scandal around that time (picking up a Louisiana prostitue, homosexual accusations). After he was busted he went on TV and apologized, repenting for his sins, and started crying like a little girl. With relevance to the song, I think it's broken down like so...

"All the things we ever did were always confidential.." - in relation to his alleged affair with another male congregation member.

"...at a red light anywhere in town, hailing maries left and right..." - His arrest for prostitution.

"God knows everybody needs a hand in their decision some of us are not so sure..." - Swaggart said something similar to this in the TV appearance.

"I've seen his own held out for a ride on television..." - Swaggart being an evangelist.

"I think he's still in Baltimore." - Haven't a clue.
I would have done something, but I was overwhelmed by a lack of concern.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Swaggart's speech can be found here.
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

Thought I should add that the Swaggart theory seems on par with Vons usual themes of religion and prostitution. Plus it's obscure (at least these days it is).
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

A bit of Swaggart's big weepy confession is in the Dr Jeep video though- well I think it's him but it could be another sinful preacher,( there've been a few) & it was quite a big deal at the time. If I remember right that is.

Is he the one with the wife who looked like she had five dead spiders stuck to each eye? (Now that's what I call goff!) Or was that someone called Baker? I forget. No doubt one of our American correspondents can put me right.
James Blast
Banned

"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The link James Blast posted wrote:In his self-serving confession I Was Wrong, Jim admitted squandering church money on luxury cars and six mansions.
Jim Bakker wrote a book called I Was Wrong. The plot thickens!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

straylight wrote:A bit of Swaggart's big weepy confession is in the Dr Jeep video though- well I think it's him but it could be another sinful preacher,( there've been a few) & it was quite a big deal at the time. If I remember right that is.

Is he the one with the wife who looked like she had five dead spiders stuck to each eye? (Now that's what I call goff!) Or was that someone called Baker? I forget. No doubt one of our American correspondents can put me right.
You're thinking of Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker. They're not as much fun to make fun of as they're really already parodies of themselves.
James Blast
Banned

CtrlAltDelete wrote:You're thinking of Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker. They're not as much fun to make fun of as they're really already parodies of themselves.
like Swaggart or any of the rest of those charlatans aren't?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:
CtrlAltDelete wrote:You're thinking of Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker. They're not as much fun to make fun of as they're really already parodies of themselves.
like Swaggart or any of the rest of those charlatans aren't?

None so much as the Bakkers. Especially Tammy, with her ridiculous makeup and dog. She had this tiny, irritating dog that she always carried. On tv she used to pretend the dog was talking, and often asked it for confirmation of what her or Jim had said.

"Jesus loves everyone, doesn't he ___ (whatever the dogs name was)?" And then she would wait for it to answer.

It was amusing.
Barracuda
Amphetamine Filth

:!:
Seventeen years after a federal court ruled that his church used undue influence to obtain more than $6 million from a donor, a Baltimore-based evangelist faces a new controversy in a different venue
click
Any good :?: