DVD recorder reccommendations.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm ready to buy a dvd recorder & could do with a bit of advice. I have been told to go for a machine that records in a dvdr-r format not dvd+r as most players are dvd- compatible. Is this the case.Is this a VHS v Betamax situation?

Can anyone that has already bought one offer any advice.

It's basically to transfer loads of VHS stuff onto dvd, I will still burn dvd to dvd on a pc.
Give me one good reason
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

If you're copying DVDs on your computer it shouldn't matter which format the recorder uses should it? You can play back your originals on the DVD recorder, and your puter should be able to copy DVD-R to DVD+R or vice-versa.

Although I don't (yet) own a DVD recorder, so what do I know? :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Spiggy's hat wrote:I'm ready to buy a dvd recorder & could do with a bit of advice. I have been told to go for a machine that records in a dvdr-r format not dvd+r as most players are dvd- compatible. Is this the case.Is this a VHS v Betamax situation?

It's basically to transfer loads of VHS stuff onto dvd, I will still burn dvd to dvd on a pc.
Whatever you buy make sure it has a Panasonic or Pioneer badge on the front. Don't touch Philips with a bargepole.

Best bet is to use rewriteables (or DVD-RAM in the case of the Panasonic) then copy to DVD-R using the PC then you can re-use the rewriteables over and over (keep them in good nick though as these machines tend to be very fussy about light scratches etc). The Panasonic machines allow basic editing if you use DVD-RAM discs. I'm planning to buy one of these very soon to replace the Philips machine I foolishly bought a couple of years ago.

Or if you are feeling really adventurous, record to DVD-RW, (or DVD-RAM), decrypt the disc to mpeg on the PC, get a hold of some decent DVD authoring software and use this to make fancy menus, chapters, etc, and burn the finished product to DVD-R. I do this on occasion (ie when I can be bothered). Time consuming but worth it.
hallucienate
Overbomber

just out of interest, how do stand alones handle recording onto dual layer disks?
DerekR
Doobie Brother

hallucienate wrote:just out of interest, how do stand alones handle recording onto dual layer disks?
They don't. The current models anyway. The next generation machines should though.

As far as I know anyway......I haven't really been keeping up as I bought my machine so long ago.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

DerekR wrote:Or if you are feeling really adventurous, record to DVD-RW, (or DVD-RAM), decrypt the disc to mpeg on the PC, get a hold of some decent DVD authoring software and use this to make fancy menus, chapters, etc, and burn the finished product to DVD-R. I do this on occasion (ie when I can be bothered). Time consuming but worth it.
i've thought about doing just that :)

but isnt mpeg a lossy compression format? so when you convert it onto your pc it loses quality? :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

DVD is already compressed as mpeg isn't it?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Spiggy's hat

Cheers for the replies.

Just went out to buy one from Index, but they were out of stock :x According to them, dvdr's will be selling like hot cakes between now & christmas.
Give me one good reason
DerekR
Doobie Brother

markfiend wrote:DVD is already compressed as mpeg isn't it?
Yep, and the quality is selected on the DVD recorder prior to recording.

@QB, I haven't noticed any quality loss when doing the ripping on the PC.

For authoring I would recommend Ulead DVD Workshop 2, relatively intuitive when you compare it to some of the more complicated authoring packages, and it does everything I want. Still haven't mastered animated menus yet though :? One day, one day....
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

DerekR wrote:Still haven't mastered animated menus yet though :? One day, one day....
enter jansenclone.... :von: ;D
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Quiff Boy wrote:
DerekR wrote:Still haven't mastered animated menus yet though :? One day, one day....
Indeed. :notworthy: Men with ridiculously big hair and far too much lipstick. 8)
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

JB wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
Indeed. :notworthy: Men with ridiculously big hair and far too much lipstick. 8)
:lol:

take your word for that. ;D only seen the "adolescent sex" vid myself, but i'm sure my mate lars can see where you're coming from :lol:
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Quiff Boy wrote:enter jansenclone.... :von: ;D

:eek: Can't I just buy him a drink? :wink:
Hojyuu-obi

DerekR wrote:
Spiggy's hat wrote:I'm ready to buy a dvd recorder & could do with a bit of advice. I have been told to go for a machine that records in a dvdr-r format not dvd+r as most players are dvd- compatible. Is this the case.Is this a VHS v Betamax situation?

Whatever you buy make sure it has a Panasonic or Pioneer badge on the front. Don't touch Philips with a bargepole.

Best bet is to use rewriteables (or DVD-RAM in the case of the Panasonic) then copy to DVD-R using the PC then you can re-use the rewriteables over and over (keep them in good nick though as these machines tend to be very fussy about light scratches etc). The Panasonic machines allow basic editing if you use DVD-RAM discs. I'm planning to buy one of these very soon to replace the Philips machine I foolishly bought a couple of years ago.

Or if you are feeling really adventurous, record to DVD-RW, (or DVD-RAM), decrypt the disc to mpeg on the PC, get a hold of some decent DVD authoring software and use this to make fancy menus, chapters, etc, and burn the finished product to DVD-R. I do this on occasion (ie when I can be bothered). Time consuming but worth it.
If you have a standalone Philips or Sony DVD player DVD+R works perfectly fine (as far as I have experienced) ... other brands probably only support DVD-R
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

DerekR wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:enter jansenclone.... :von: ;D

:eek: Can't I just buy him a drink? :wink:
ba-dum tshhhh! :roll: