bloody hell!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i was doing some stuff on my pc with my adsl internet connection open in the background.

i have an 512k adsl package from tiscali.

the connection just dropped.

i wasn't actually surfing so it wasn't a problem, but when i just reconnected now i was told that i was now surfing at 2.2mb per sec :eek: :D :notworthy:

and it appears to be true. stuff is VERY fast 8)

wtf? :lol:

anyone know if any routine upgrading is goign on with tiscali accounts? :eek:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Lucky bugger! Hope it holds for you. Mind you, it may just be the speed from the PC to the Tiscali servers that have speeded up. Doing anything connected to the outside world may still be around 512kb.

I'm glad NTL put the download speed up to 850kb, although they didn't speed up the upload which is pretty irritating. So downloads are now around 85kbps but uploads are still at 15kbps.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
hallucienate
Overbomber

And here I am still happy that I got a 384K connection at home, even if it does have a 3 gig monthly traffic cap. At least I'm not paying for it though :)
lucretia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

This week ADSL is a very foul word in our neck of the woods - thanks to the complete f u c k heads at Telkom cutting it off on SUNDAY afternoon and only restoring the thing on Tuesday at 1000 ... and that's after paying them 2K on Saturday (cos we've got four lines and phones etc etc blah blah) ....
I hate Telkom, I think I'm going to bomb them.
one day at a time
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

hallucienate wrote:And here I am still happy that I got a 384K connection at home, even if it does have a 3 gig monthly traffic cap. At least I'm not paying for it though :)
I think NTL has a 1gb a day cap. At least I hope so. :innocent:
24.24.2.489 Deceased
hallucienate
Overbomber

lucretia wrote:This week ADSL is a very foul word in our neck of the woods - thanks to the complete f u c k heads at Telkom cutting it off on SUNDAY afternoon and only restoring the thing on Tuesday at 1000 ... and that's after paying them 2K on Saturday (cos we've got four lines and phones etc etc blah blah) ....
I feel your pain. I work for an ISP that resells Telkom/SAIX stuff, you don't even know how much we pay them every month.

My ADSL went down sometime on Sunday morning but came right later that afternoon :twisted:

ADSL still beats the cr@p out of Sentech's Mywireless product, or I assume so, as I still can't get it here.
hallucienate
Overbomber

CellThree wrote:
hallucienate wrote:And here I am still happy that I got a 384K connection at home, even if it does have a 3 gig monthly traffic cap. At least I'm not paying for it though :)
I think NTL has a 1gb a day cap. At least I hope so. :innocent:
and still some bastards complain about that. :roll:

The thing is I'm, well the company, is paying R739 (64 quid) per month for the service :evil:
lucretia

hallucienate wrote:
lucretia wrote:This week ADSL is a very foul word in our neck of the woods - thanks to the complete f u c k heads at Telkom cutting it off on SUNDAY afternoon and only restoring the thing on Tuesday at 1000 ... and that's after paying them 2K on Saturday (cos we've got four lines and phones etc etc blah blah) ....
I feel your pain. I work for an ISP that resells Telkom/SAIX stuff, you don't even know how much we pay them every month.

My ADSL went down sometime on Sunday morning but came right later that afternoon :twisted:

ADSL still beats the cr@p out of Sentech's Mywireless product, or I assume so, as I still can't get it here.

Have you noticed that Sentech have stopped TV and radio advertising? It was a bloody joke from the outset ... you have to live practically on top of their two (my joke but almost true) transmitters to get it.
ADSL is fine but it's the bloody morons at Telkom that make it hard and unpleasant. I'm not kidding when I say that we nearly ended up committing suicide on Tuesday morning. I've never screamed at people so hard on the phone in my whole life.
Do you think it will get any better next year when the third SNO comes into play - or is that just another pipe dream as well?
one day at a time
hallucienate
Overbomber

lucretia wrote:Have you noticed that Sentech have stopped TV and radio advertising? It was a bloody joke from the outset ... you have to live practically on top of their two (my joke but almost true) transmitters to get it.
that's cos they got taken to the Advertising Standards Authority, someone took exception to them using the terms "fast", "broadband" and "always on" :lol: :lol: :lol:
lucretia wrote: Do you think it will get any better next year when the third SNO comes into play - or is that just another pipe dream as well?
I can only hope so. SNO stands for Second Network Operator. Sentech just found a loop-hole in their broadcasting license so they don't really count. I dunno if the SNO is gonna make a big difference at first, they'll need to roll out, which will take a while. You guys up North should see it first though :evil: :( February should be an interesting month, 'cos lots of things are going to be deregulated, such as wireless internet access and VOIP. 8)
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

:innocent:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
christophe
Overbomber

right :?

I'm at 6.0 at the moment
Another Shade of You.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

This 100mb thing I think has to do with the ethernet port you are using, which is probably a 10/100mb port.

I'm running on a 2 PC network using a router, I'm guessing that Izzy is doing a similar thing, but Quiff is directly connected to the Net. This would show up these differences.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Izzy HaveMercy

CellThree wrote:This 100mb thing I think has to do with the ethernet port you are using, which is probably a 10/100mb port.

I'm running on a 2 PC network using a router, I'm guessing that Izzy is doing a similar thing, but Quiff is directly connected to the Net. This would show up these differences.

Geek ;-)

I'm using a USR router, indeed :-) Same setup as you.

IZ.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

And while we are on the subject, NTL users rejoice:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/03/ntl_q3_04/
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

CellThree wrote:And while we are on the subject, NTL users rejoice:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/03/ntl_q3_04/
"Its new 2Mb service will cost £24.99" - which would appear to be what has happened with my tiscali package :notworthy:

i haven't had any emails from the isp to tell me this might be happening, i really dont understand :?:

this is what i thought i had: clicky

i dont want to ring and enquire though as they might turn it off :lol:
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

What are your download speeds like? I guess they should be +130kbps at the very least. probably getting on for 200kbps.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

CellThree wrote:What are your download speeds like? I guess they should be +130kbps at the very least. probably getting on for 200kbps.
know any good benchmarking software? most stuff i download seems to be limited by the remote host's u/l speeds :roll:

i'm not even sure i am getting 2mb - it might be like you said and thats just the connection to tiscali's infrastructure - but i does seem faster... but that could be me imaginig it :roll:

i'll download something random from www.download.com and see how it goes...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hmmm. getting around 70kbps for this :?:
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Heh, I'm getting 81kbps for it. Possibly you are still on 512kb? They may have speeded up their servers so your requests are getting through faster.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

CellThree wrote:Heh, I'm getting 81kbps for it. Possibly you are still on 512kb? They may have speeded up their servers so your requests are getting through faster.
aye, could be... :|
Izzy HaveMercy

Quiff Boy wrote:hmmm. getting around 70kbps for this :?:
Between 160 and 200 here.

Is a rather slow site, I guess.

Try dl'ing an MP3 from a personal site, most of the time they are rather fast...

IZ.
lucretia

hallucienate wrote:
lucretia wrote:Have you noticed that Sentech have stopped TV and radio advertising? It was a bloody joke from the outset ... you have to live practically on top of their two (my joke but almost true) transmitters to get it.
that's cos they got taken to the Advertising Standards Authority, someone took exception to them using the terms "fast", "broadband" and "always on" :lol: :lol: :lol:
lucretia wrote: Do you think it will get any better next year when the third SNO comes into play - or is that just another pipe dream as well?
I can only hope so. SNO stands for Second Network Operator. Sentech just found a loop-hole in their broadcasting license so they don't really count. I dunno if the SNO is gonna make a big difference at first, they'll need to roll out, which will take a while. You guys up North should see it first though :evil: :( February should be an interesting month, 'cos lots of things are going to be deregulated, such as wireless internet access and VOIP. 8)

Yeah I'm really looking forward to the VOIP stuff - that will make a helluva difference for me in my line of work.
one day at a time