Nationalities

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
James Blast
Banned

Zulu's pretty weird relying on all those clicks and what not
or have I got it wrong, again?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Scottish, and I'm an honorary Austrian/German, on account of having spent roughly half a year out of my life there on holiday.

I'd be Dutch as well, if they'll take me. The language makes me smile.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
CtrlAltDelete
Amphetamine Filth

I have both American and French citizenship.

(insert 1,001 jokes here)
I would have done something, but I was overwhelmed by a lack of concern.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

lucretia wrote:
hallucienate wrote:
Sexygothâ„¢ wrote:Because Hall's a dillweed!!!
if you'd be so kind as to explain to us what a dillweed is I can figure out whether or not to take offense.

P.S. I'm not the only Sarf Efrican here. :roll:

Er why don't SA count? Still trying to figure out whether I should be hurt or not.
I was only refering to Hallucienate :lol: :lol:
Only a paand.
hallucienate
Overbomber

lucretia wrote:
hallucienate wrote:
Sexygothâ„¢ wrote:Because Hall's a dillweed!!!
if you'd be so kind as to explain to us what a dillweed is I can figure out whether or not to take offense.

P.S. I'm not the only Sarf Efrican here. :roll:

Er why don't SA count? Still trying to figure out whether I should be hurt or not.
it'sa comment from SG, therefore best ignored.

pradly sarf efrican
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:when i was at uni i shared a house with a chap who was first-generation hungarian immigrant - his parent were "straight off the boat" (to use his own description).

he said the hungarian language was one of the few languages with no tracable influences - ie: that there were no words deriving from any of the other "parent" languages - latin, nordic, gaelic, etc and as such it was a very strange tongue... i used to hear him speaking hungarian on the phone to his parents from time to time and he was right. a very curious-sounding language...
Which boat would take you from landlocked Hungary to island Britain? :D

IIRC Hungarian is only related to a few obscure, semi-extinct Siberian dialects. The huge geographical gaps reflect the equestrian culture of the early Magyars, apparently. And yes, it's a crazy language. Saw a Hungarian film recently and couldn't make any sort of fist of the structure of the language. I'm usually pretty good at dissecting grammar irrespective of whether I can translate the words (that does make sense, promise!) but not this time.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

welsh.
but living in england.(unfortunately for some)
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
randdebiel²
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

belgian
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Well, to date that gives us:

British (inc. People's Republic of West Yorkshire, assorted principalities & other subjugated kingdoms ;) )
American
Canadian
Portugese
Swedish
French
German
South African
Norwegian
Italian
Latvian
Belgian
Dutch
Estonian
Polish
Finnish
Swiss

and I'm pretty sure we have at least one Greek and one Australian here as well, with the Peruvian contingent having been ejected.

Interesting lack of representation from Eire, Northern Ireland, Spain and Denmark.
hallucienate
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Zulu's pretty weird relying on all those clicks and what not
or have I got it wrong, again?
most the the african languages (around SA at least) have 'em. Most noticably the languages of the Khoi and San (bushmen to you), the original people of Southern Africa (and probably the world).
Hojyuu-obi

lazarus corporation wrote:Well, to date that gives us:

British (inc. People's Republic of West Yorkshire, assorted principalities & other subjugated kingdoms ;) )
American
Canadian
Portugese
Swedish
French
German
South African
Norwegian
Italian
Latvian
Belgian
Dutch
Estonian
Polish
Finnish
Swiss

and I'm pretty sure we have at least one Greek and one Australian here as well, with the Peruvian contingent having been ejected.

Interesting lack of representation from Eire, Northern Ireland, Spain and Denmark.
...Jost 7 is from Austria IIRC, Ganith from Spain ...
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

and i seem to recall karst is from NI... or is at least living there, even if he isn't actually irish :?:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Hojyuu-obi

Quiff Boy wrote:and i seem to recall karst is from NI... or is at least living there, even if he isn't actually irish :?:
I think Karst's originally Dutch (?) ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:and i seem to recall karst is from NI... or is at least living there, even if he isn't actually irish :?:
aye, that sounds familiar...
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Indeed. Though I think he's still Dutch but just living in Belfast. :innocent:

I also recall Elguiri is from UK oop north but living in Spain ... :?:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Project for someone with even less to do than I have:
Draw a big map of the world with bar-graph-style thingies for myheartland-posters-per-country. ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Petseri
Overbomber

There is at least one Hungarian member here, although he does not post very often, so add that nationality to the list. At least he has a Hungarian address. Are we making distictions between nationality and citizenship?
Quiff Boy wrote:when i was at uni i shared a house with a chap who was first-generation hungarian immigrant - his parent were "straight off the boat" (to use his own description).

he said the hungarian language was one of the few languages with no tracable influences - ie: that there were no words deriving from any of the other "parent" languages - latin, nordic, gaelic, etc and as such it was a very strange tongue... i used to hear him speaking hungarian on the phone to his parents from time to time and he was right. a very curious-sounding language...
Hungarian does indeed have borrowed words, often from Turkish (during the 150m years of Turkish occupation) or German (from the Habsburg era), but I can think of one Italian derivation as well. I have had enough conversation with my father (a Finno-Ugric linguist, by choice :eek: ) to have picked up on such details.

@ Indrek: did you ever realize that the Estonian word rääkima (for "to speak") comes from a Germanic source? :eek:

Martin
Last edited by Petseri on 08 Nov 2004, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Petseri wrote:Are we making diustictions between nationality and citizenship?
If so can I pretend to be a Martian immigrant please?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i could look into adding a "country of residence" option to the profile, then create a stats graph based on the results... but there would probably still be a lot of people leaving it unassigned :roll:
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

markfiend wrote: ...can I pretend to be a Martian immigrant please?
Why pretend? We knew that anyway ...

I'm really Jane Seymour.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
rian
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:i could look into adding a "country of residence" option to the profile, then create a stats graph based on the results... but there would probably still be a lot of people leaving it unassigned :roll:
Probably...

but, still, a good idea
I think someone set my soul alight
lucretia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hey I'm originally from Yorkshire which I'm trying to keep quiet but without much success. Both my Grandad's had a lot of Welsh and also some distant Scottish roots (which might explain how I can say Llanfyr ... etc etc. and go all weepy when I hear "David of the White Rock" sung by the Welsh Male Choir :oops: ) One of my Grandma's was born in India of Scottish descent and I've got distant cousins in Canada and also Australia ... amazing, I only found this out today - didn't realise I was such a pavement special :lol: :lol:
The Heartland forum, besides being a place to hang out when you're drunk, is indeed a portal to a higher level of consciousness and gateway to lofty philosophical musings into our place in the universe and the origins of mankind.
btw I'm sober but still having a good laugh here at my own expense.
one day at a time
Petseri
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Petseri wrote:Are we making diistictions between nationality and citizenship?
If so can I pretend to be a Martian immigrant please?
There is a distinction between nationality and citizenship. Sorbs live in Germany; Saami live in Finland, Sweden, Russia, and Norway; Khanti, Mansi, Komi, and dozens of other Finno-Ugric peoples live (still) within the Russian Federation. If I remember correctly, Soviet passports even included a separate space for nationality.

Granted, the lines often blur. Is someone's nationality Canadian or Québécois(e)? Do Czech refugees fleeing after Prague Spring and now in South Africa, Australia, or America consider themselves Czech still? Politically problems blur the lines further. Can someone be Catalan or only Spanish? Is Bosniak a nationality? :roll:

To answer your question, though, sure, go right ahead and call yourself a Martian. :D

Martin
pikkrong
Overbomber

Petseri wrote:
@ Indrek: did you ever realize that the Estonian word rääkima (for "to speak") comes from a Germanic source? :eek:

Martin
Yes, I know there are many loans from German in Estonian language but havn't thought about this particular example before.
Hojyuu-obi

I seem to remember reading in an article somewhere (some article/essay on the decline of German as a World language) that for a long time up untill approx. WWII the German language was the language of choice for intelligentsia, and the bourgoisie in Eastern Europe & Russia. Ironically this was largely due to Jewish people!