FIRST AND LAST AND ALWAYS POLL

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.

FIRST AND LAST AND ALWAYS version

Poll ended at 23 Jul 2004, 14:14

92%
8%

Total votes: 12
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:look in the top-right corner of the back. if its the remastered version it will say "remastered 1992" or something like that... most cds seem to be the 92 version.
Very easy to recognize the difference:

On the '88 version the printed side of the CD is black w/ white lettering, '92 remastered version silver w/ black lettering ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/ ... ing004.jpg

Also the matrix numbers are different:

'88: 240 616-2
'92: 9031-77379-2
Any idea about the USA Elektra/Asylum Records release? I suspect this is the remastered version, but it doesn't seem to say anywhere. I do have the original vinyl somewhere but can't be bothered digging it out to check for differences...
анархия
Hojyuu-obi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

smiscandlon wrote:
Hojyuu-obi wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:look in the top-right corner of the back. if its the remastered version it will say "remastered 1992" or something like that... most cds seem to be the 92 version.

On the '88 version the printed side of the CD is black w/ white lettering, '92 remastered version silver w/ black lettering ...

Any idea about the USA Elektra/Asylum Records release? I suspect this is the remastered version, but it doesn't seem to say anywhere. I do have the original vinyl somewhere but can't be bothered digging it out to check for differences...
Haven't got a copy to check but I suspect that the Elektra release is identical to all other CD releases.
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
aaron_quinton
Banned

Hojyuu-obi wrote:
smiscandlon wrote:
Hojyuu-obi wrote: Very easy to recognize the difference:

Haven't got a copy to check but I suspect that the Elektra release is identical to all other CD releases.
i have the USA elektra release, and it only has an '88 copyright, it's printed on the cd surface like all other generic WEA usa cd's, silver, with a red circle all the way around the outter edge and cheesy Times New Roman print in black... my german copy is the 1992 remaster, with the silver disc and black caslon antique...

i had the tape and that was the original '85 mix, because falaa doesn't have the long intro...
smiscandlon
Overbomber

aaron_quinton wrote:i have the USA elektra release, and it only has an '88 copyright, it's printed on the cd surface like all other generic WEA usa cd's, silver, with a red circle all the way around the outter edge and cheesy Times New Roman print in black...
Mine is the same but the copyright is 1985, which is what got me wondering.
анархия
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

smiscandlon wrote:Mine is the same but the copyright is 1985, which is what got me wondering.
Wasn't it mentioned that the original vinyl mixes only ever made it onto CD in the states in '85? :D

Prepare to see your PM box go into meltdown and burst into flames smiscandlon. I'll wait until tomorrow when the fire brigade are damping down ... :wink: :von:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Petseri
Overbomber

smiscandlon wrote:
aaron_quinton wrote:i have the USA elektra release, and it only has an '88 copyright, it's printed on the cd surface like all other generic WEA usa cd's, silver, with a red circle all the way around the outter edge and cheesy Times New Roman print in black...
Mine is the same but the copyright is 1985, which is what got me wondering.
Same here. Matrix number looks like 60405-1. No sign of 1988 or 1992 on it.

Martin
Donnie Darko
Road Kill

Definately the 1985 version.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I love red wine, but prefer a Cabernet over Melot. Its not nerdy.

For me, 1985 is better. Your mileage may vary.

Also, a friend of mine in 1989 had the CD, and had never listened to the LP. (At this point, the CD had at least a few different versions of songs (FALAA, RAAHP,...), may not be exactly the same as 1992). I taped the LP and he liked the LP better, so its not just a question of what you heard first...
waterisnat
Road Kill

[quote]="Hojyuu-obi"][quote="Quiff Boy"]look in the top-right corner of the back. if its the remastered version it will say "remastered 1992" or something like that... most cds seem to be the 92 version.[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't you all agree that there is way too much lettering on those discs?? Must have been a last-minute decision to drop that 5,000 characters essay on the different merits of both sides (and I don't mean the label/data sides of the CD's).