Outlook express question ...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Hojyuu-obi
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Does anyone know an easy way to transfer emails from one PC's Outlook Express to another PC's Outlook Ex. (so that they nicely sit in the Inbox folder) ? (Outlook Ex. 6.0 btw.)
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
l'excuse
Road Kill

C:\Documents and Settings\[yourusername]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{[some code here]}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

is where you're data is stored, maybe you could try a bit of cut 'n paste trial n' error?

have fun!
hallucienate
Overbomber

l'excuse wrote:C:\Documents and Settings\[yourusername]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{[some code here]}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

is where you're data is stored, maybe you could try a bit of cut 'n paste trial n' error?

have fun!
back up theis folder (it's in a different place on win98), copy onto new PC then in OE go to the file menu and use the import tool and point to whereever you stored your e-mails.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Hojyuu-obi wrote:Does anyone know an easy way to transfer emails from one PC's Outlook Express to another PC's Outlook Ex. (so that they nicely sit in the Inbox folder) ? (Outlook Ex. 6.0 btw.)
Ack! Outhouse Express? Gimme Qualcomm Eudora anyday (for email) with a side order of Forte Agent (for newsgroups). Been using those two programs for nigh on 10 years now, never needed to look elsewhere.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much :lol:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

And just to put you even deeper in the muck... even the Import/Export Address book in Outlook express fails nine out of ten times...

I have Incredimail, a bit heavy in a graphic kinda way, but nice nonetheless, and no sift like OE... Never had any virus attack with IncrediMail, while OE just lets about anything pass through...

But that's my opinion ;-)

Now ON YER QUESTION :-) : l' excuse's answer is one of the most reliable options... just cut 'n' paste all the files there...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
l'excuse
Road Kill

click n' drag them into an active e-mail adress,
send them to your web based mail server
configure OE from scratch on new machine.

Sorry about this, will get back into my box immediatly.
Dan
Overbomber

When I reisntalled everything I was told a easy way to save my emails and add them back into Outlook after the reinstall.

First go to Tools--Accounts and export each of your email accounts (not the mailboxes/messages)

Then make a backup of the entire folder-

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{blah}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

The with the new Outlook import the accounts and copy the contents of that folder back again and it should all work good as new.

The only thing I couldn't find a way of copying was my mail rules, but it didn't take too long to re-add these.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yep, i've done exactly as dan describes a few times now and all has worked well, apart from once...

make sure you copy the email folders rather than move them so you have a backup, because i found once that when you crank up OE for the first time after copying the mailboxes over it wont pick up the new ones and will create a set of empty ones, over-writing your old ones :urff:

when this happened (only did it the once out of about 6 mailbox moves) i just closed OE, copied the backup mailboxes AGAIN and started OE and all was fine. 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
rian
Slight Overbomber

There are a lot of freeware programs that can fix that. Search for "outlook backup".
I think someone set my soul alight
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Don't forget the Address Book!

It can be found in XP at :

C:\Documents and Settings\[yourusername]\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Copy the .wab file and you can import it directly into OE :

1. Select Tools | Address Book... from the menu in Outlook Express.
2. Now select File | Import | Address Book (WAB)... from the address book menu.
3. Select the backup copy of your Outlook Express address book.
4. Click Open.
5. Now click OK.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Is that spam, given that it's actually answering the original question?

7 years late like... :roll:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

lol - I've almost replied here, too but I assume the issue should be solved by now :lol:
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Wow, how the hell did I end up replying this ancient thread. I swear it was in the top of the General Chat stuff when I clicked on it. I never looked at the date!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I'm still trying to figure out how to migrate properly from Thunderbird to proper Mac mail, it's no easy job it seems. If anyone's got tips on that, would be most welcome!
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr