Another cover song....

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
fiberlinewhore
Road Kill

Just checking to see if all of you with the distain for techno remixes like actually covers.... check this out

http://www.fiberlineaudio.com/shop/modu ... cts_id=197
Jay Blaq
www.fiberlineaudio.com
-bet it all on blaq
Lamia
Amphetamine Filth

This gal does not like! :urff:

Mind you, i adore the original version so there was little hope from the start!! :innocent:
Intimations of mortality are all about me.....
fiberlinewhore
Road Kill

awwww too bad i love jasta division... the original material on the site is nice my fave is Into the Blue... kind of portishead meets pink floyd, meets led zepplin..... nice stuff... and the killing moon cover is spot on in my opinon......

oh well next please..... :twisted:
Jay Blaq
www.fiberlineaudio.com
-bet it all on blaq
hallucienate
Overbomber

this isn't Sisters related
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hallucienate wrote:this isn't Sisters related
good point. moved ;)

will give it a listen when i get home this evening.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
fiberlinewhore
Road Kill

correct

i am just testing you people as alot of people didnt like the sisters remix and i was wondering if it was due to the fact it was techno based and not like the original.....

i understand this board is sisters based, but geez... cant we ever think of anying but the sisters of mercy... cant we adore other bands of the era?
Jay Blaq
www.fiberlineaudio.com
-bet it all on blaq
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ahem. The thing is you put the topic in "Sisters Chat" which is... well, chat about the Sisters.

"General Chat" is where all the other random nonsense goes.

And I wouldn't advise angering our Narrow Bastard Overlord by questioning his decisions ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Lamia
Amphetamine Filth

Still dont like it ;D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol:

sadly there is a certain element of "preaching to the unconvertable" here - we do tend to be a very partisan crowd ;D :lol:

the main problem i see is that heartland attracts a slightly different crown to the usual goff forums - mainly aging ex-goths and people that got into the sisters without even realising they were goth! there are very few "dodgy darklings" here - mainly because of eldritch's attitude to them - it scares a lot of them away from the sisters and so they find newer, more contemporary "scene" bands to follow.

also, the style of music that goes by the moniker of EBM or "dark electro" or whatever is quite alien to many fans of the sisters - there tends to be little or no common elements in terms of production values, instrumentation, sounds, themes, textures etc apart from one or two very superflous ones. and any attempt to recreate those classic elements of a sisters song will usually end up sounding like either a poor 3rd rate goff song or a bad techno-goff hybrid, neither of which the world really needs any more of :urff:

also, and the importance of this aspect really should not be underestimated, a lot of 80s indie & alternative stuff is seen as being very classic, and therefore bordering on the untouchable as far as covers go - material that is so entrenched in a time of somone's life, buried so people's hearts and minds (as it were) that you cant really cover it because any new version just wont have the same emotional and cultural baggage as the original - its practucally a lost cause unless you can pull someone very very special out of the bag - a la lambchop's cover of "this corrosion" which succeeds because a) lamchop are very talented musicians in the traditional sense (rather than good cubase programmers) and b) they brought a whole new slant to the song 8)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

fiberlinewhore wrote:cant we adore other bands of the era?
certainly.

some people here even like the m*****n!! :eek:
fools :lol:
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:a la lambchop's cover of "this corrosion" which succeeds because a) lamchop are very talented musicians in the traditional sense (rather than good cubase programmers) and b) they brought a whole new slant to the song 8)
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

QB can use so many words to say the things I try to get across in as few as possible. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hallucienate wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:a la lambchop's cover of "this corrosion" which succeeds because a) lamchop are very talented musicians in the traditional sense (rather than good cubase programmers) and b) they brought a whole new slant to the song 8)
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

QB can use so many words to say the things I try to get across in as few as possible. :notworthy: :notworthy:
i have considerably more typos too ;D :lol: :roll:
Lamia
Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote::lol:

also, and the importance of this aspect really should not be underestimated, a lot of 80s indie & alternative stuff is seen as being very classic, and therefore bordering on the untouchable as far as covers go - material that is so entrenched in a time of somone's life, buried so people's hearts and minds (as it were) that you cant really cover it because any new version just wont have the same emotional and cultural baggage as the original - its practucally a lost cause unless you can pull someone very very special out of the bag - a la lambchop's cover of "this corrosion" which succeeds because a) lamchop are very talented musicians in the traditional sense (rather than good cubase programmers) and b) they brought a whole new slant to the song 8)
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Well said old bean! ;D
_emma_
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:lambchop's cover of "this corrosion" which succeeds because a) lamchop are very talented musicians in the traditional sense (rather than good cubase programmers) and b) they brought a whole new slant to the song 8)
Is there anybody out there who hates Lambchop's version as much as I do? Honestly, it sounds crap to me. Sorry.
James Blast
Banned

at least they put their own slant on it _emma_ much like The Sisters version of Emma (any relation?)
these remixes/mash ups are just deconstructions of a song set to a predefined set of beats and sounds, and comes across as very dated to me already
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
_emma_
Overbomber

Yes I know they "put their own slant on it", but I still hate it. :?
hallucienate
Overbomber

It's the only Sisters cover I can listen to.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Quiff Boy wrote:
certainly.

You shut yer maaff Quiffy :twisted:
Only a paand.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

hallucienate wrote:It's the only Sisters cover I can listen to.
No way!! Gimme Shelter ?? 8) 8)

Silly man.............
Only a paand.
Big Si
School Bully

Sexygothâ„¢ wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
certainly.

You shut yer maaff Quiffy :twisted:
My collection :urff: is still gathering dust while it's waiting for your Piggy Bank to get fat! :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Big Si
School Bully

fiberlinewhore wrote:Just checking to see if all of you with the distain for techno remixes like actually covers.... check this out

I enjoyed that thank you! :notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Dark Angel
Amphetamine Filth

fiberlinewhore wrote:Just checking to see if all of you with the distain for techno remixes like actually covers.... check this out

well I enjoyed it, have I bad taste?

but then most of the music on my comp is sh|t :roll:
Debaser
Overbomber

I've been having a real scout round this link...I'm really quite liking Artistic Burn....

Thanks for that.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
James Blast
Banned

Debaser wrote:I've been having a real scout round this link...
this way, madness lies
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

It was quite listenable to, better than the other effort that was posted! (I like techno. I don't like bad techno. That was bad techno)

I gotta say I bought 3 Lambchop albums (5 quid each at a little shop in Cambridge!) on the back of hearing their Corrosion cover. They are a really good band.
24.24.2.489 Deceased