A question for all the Sisters fans!!!!!!!!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Francis
Overbomber

Nazareth wrote:the sisterhood were never really a band though
Ten out of ten for observation.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Not sure I agree with that.... Sisters in Floodland era were just Von... Patty would should up for photo shoots, promos, videos and interviews and didn't even play on the records... so in someways the Sisterhood were more of a band than the Sisters :)
Francis
Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:so in someways the Sisterhood were more of a band than the Sisters
BIG DADDY & GIANT HAYSTACKS wrote:NOT MY SISTERS
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And which Sisters would they be?
Nazareth
Amphetamine Filth

Francis wrote:
I'm just getting confused with Dark saying they should get back togeter without Eldritch! Eldritch is the sisterhood!
Marc
Road Kill

I don't think Eldritch give permission to use the name Sisterhood without him. No way!!! But If yes, I'm curious with the resultat. I'm dreaming now (just like Dark): A new cd and a Tour with old and new songs. I travel from Belgium to Afrika to see them :P
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Nazareth wrote:
Francis wrote:
I'm just getting confused with Dark saying they should get back togeter without Eldritch! Eldritch is the sisterhood!
He wrote the songs, but didn't perform. I'm sure the rest of them could survive without him. He's not the Sisterhood. Had he performed I'd reconsider. And don't bother mentioning his version of Colours, it wasn't as good as the Sisterhood version.

Dark = Controversial, Heretic, etc?
claws
Amphetamine Filth

I consider The Sisterhood as more of a temporary project than a band. I don't think Eldritch had the intention of making something big of it.
We are coming down but we will never, never land
smiscandlon
Overbomber

I wonder how much (if any) creative input the 'members' of The Sisterhood actually had?
анархия
Dark
Underneath the Rock

smiscandlon wrote:I wonder how much (if any) creative input the 'members' of The Sisterhood actually had?
They played the songs. I understand if you can't see that as "creative" but...
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Dark wrote:
smiscandlon wrote:I wonder how much (if any) creative input the 'members' of The Sisterhood actually had?
I know what you mean. But as a member of a group yourself I'm sure you appreciate that there is a difference between having what I referred to as "creative input" into the music, and just being told to "play this" or "sing that" or "say two five zero zero zero"...

Perchance this is the difference between an actual band member and a session musician.....
анархия
Dark
Underneath the Rock

smiscandlon wrote:
Dark wrote:
I know what you mean. But as a member of a group yourself I'm sure you appreciate that there is a difference between having what I referred to as "creative input" into the music, and just being told to "play this" or "sing that" or "say two five zero zero zero"...

Perchance this is the difference between an actual band member and a session musician.....
Perhaps, yes, but even if Eldritch couldn't perform without endangering his contract, the performing members of the Sisterhood, with the exception of Doktor Avalanche, could have refused to be a part of it (maybe the Doktor could have blown up :roll: ). I personally don't see why Von felt it was necessary to prevent the Mish using the name The Sisterhood.
But going back to what I was saying, they had to play what he said, so whilst I'm not denying Von's input was important for the creation of the songs, it was the performing members that played, and could have edited the songs if they wanted, not sticking strictly to Von's -exact- specifications.
Should they reform without him, all they'd need would be drums, and they'd not be incapable of writing and performing their own songs. It may sound somewhat different to the sound of Gift, but it'd still be worth it just to have a new song from them.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

:lol:

I like the idea of Doktor Avalanche taking a strop and refusing to perform...

("No one ever appreciates the drummer...")
анархия
Dark
Underneath the Rock

smiscandlon wrote::lol:

I like the idea of Doktor Avalanche taking a strop and refusing to perform...

("No one ever appreciates the drummer...")
Sadly, Von can deal with that. A quick "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" and a thousand and two people trying to fix the Doktor, and all goes well.
James Blast
Banned

Q. How do you know there's a drummer at your door?

A. The knocking speeds up

------------

Q. What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

A. You only have to punch the information into a drum machine once

:|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
smiscandlon
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Q. How do you know there's a drummer at your door?

A. The knocking speeds up

------------

Q. What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

A. You only have to punch the information into a drum machine once

:|

Q: How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None. They have a machine that does that now.
анархия
James Blast
Banned

Q. What do you call a banjo players with a business card?

A. An optimist

---------

Q. What's the difference between a crushed banjo on the road and a squashed fox?

A. There are skid marks in front of the fox
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Nazareth
Amphetamine Filth

eldritch produced and wrote gift, having the members of the sisterhood reunite would create a very different record as they didnt write or make any of the music-making decisions for gift. the songs are the most important thing...
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Nazareth wrote:eldritch produced and wrote gift, having the members of the sisterhood reunite would create a very different record as they didnt write or make any of the music-making decisions for gift. the songs are the most important thing...
Let's not forget, we have Alan Vega and Lucas Fox here, I'm sure they're capable of writing their own songs. Besides, why would we want a record that sounded the same as Gift? Floodlands sounds very different to FALAA, and no-one complains.
Marc
Road Kill

Let's not forget, we have Alan Vega and Lucas Fox here, I'm sure they're capable of writing their own songs. Besides, why would we want a record that sounded the same as Gift? Floodlands sounds very different to FALAA, and no-one complains.[/quote]
I agree with this one :D
James Blast
Banned

can either of you tell me what Lucas Fox has done since play the drums in a fledgling Motorheid?
~ Peter Steele
Nazareth
Amphetamine Filth

Alan Vega and Lucas Fox didnt in my view contribute much to the sound of gift, it was all eldritch. Having them reunite as the sisterhood would be meaningless.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

James Blast wrote:can either of you tell me what Lucas Fox has done since play the drums in a fledgling Motorheid?
I could draw up a similarity with Ben Gunn, but I won't.
I only said Lucas Fox because of the following reasons:

1) It would have sounded pathetic to just say Alan Vega was the only talented one.
2) I have never heard anything else by James Ray, so I didn't mention him.
3) Whilst I think Patricia has talent, had I said her, you'd have all said something along the lines of "If it rested on her, of course they'd fail" or something.
Nazareth wrote:Alan Vega and Lucas Fox didnt in my view contribute much to the sound of gift, it was all eldritch. Having them reunite as the sisterhood would be meaningless.
Eldritch wrote the songs but didn't play on them. The sound of Gift would have been totally different if he'd asked other people to play for him. Quite frankly I think it was stupid of Von to complain about the Mish using the name Sisterhood.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Dark wrote:Quite frankly I think it was stupid of Von to complain about the Mish using the name Sisterhood.
Losing the 25,000 pound advance for the next Sisters album was stupid?

http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/gen/regift.htm
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Dark
Underneath the Rock

CellThree wrote:
Dark wrote:Quite frankly I think it was stupid of Von to complain about the Mish using the name Sisterhood.
Losing the 25,000 pound advance for the next Sisters album was stupid?

http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/gen/regift.htm
Wasn't the advance to the first band using the name Sisterhood?
Well, if Von hadn't bothered, would there still have been competition to release a Sisterhood album quickly, and receive an advance? Note that this is a question, as I don't know the basics behind musical politics.
Anyway, the Mish should have just had the money, so they could release some songs whilst people waited for This Corrosion and Floodland to appear.
Anyway, big fucking deal if Von hadn't gotten another 25k, it's not helped his personality any one way or the other.