Londons record stores

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
LostInTheDrift
Road Kill

Hi,

does anybody of you know about good record stores in London which trade with rare vinyl stuff?
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Dr.Avalanche wrote:Hi,

does anybody of you know about good record stores in London which trade with rare vinyl stuff?
http://www.sisterray.co.uk/

well, it was OK when I last went in there - sometime in early 1991...
Last edited by lazarus corporation on 05 Jan 2005, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Resurrection records in Camden?
Only record shop I ever make it to because I spend all my money in there and can't afford to go anywhere else afterwards! Maybe I should try going somewhere else first?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:Resurrection records in Camden?
Only record shop I ever make it to because I spend all my money in there and can't afford to go anywhere else afterwards! Maybe I should try going somewhere else first?
No, no - it is the only decent record store in the UK.
I was in a good store in Amsterdam a few years ago.
And Freiburg, Germany. Mittenwald, too.

*sigh* I live in Glasgow.
:roll:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Best place is on Saturdays the electric ballroom record fair in Camden
Mrs. Snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

sunset yellow wrote:

Check that this record fair is on before you go as I don't think it's open every saturday.

2 shops away from resurection records is the music and video exchange which has a good selection then theres a few bootleg stalls on Camden market.

As someone else said there's Sister Ray records on Berwick Street. There is also 4 or 5 other record shops on this road including seletadisc and another misic and video exchange (which I think is next door to Sister Rays) If I remember correctly the nearest tube is Tottenham Court Road.

If your feeling like an adventure then Beano's in Crodon was quite good. It was about 10 minutes walk (downhill) from Croydon station. It's advertised as London's biggest second hand record shop.

Hope this helps.
Why do keyboards get so dirty?
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Mrs. Snowey wrote:
sunset yellow wrote:

Check that this record fair is on before you go as I don't think it's open every saturday.

2 shops away from resurection records is the music and video exchange which has a good selection then theres a few bootleg stalls on Camden market.

As someone else said there's Sister Ray records on Berwick Street. There is also 4 or 5 other record shops on this road including seletadisc and another misic and video exchange (which I think is next door to Sister Rays) If I remember correctly the nearest tube is Tottenham Court Road.

If your feeling like an adventure then Beano's in Crodon was quite good. It was about 10 minutes walk (downhill) from Croydon station. It's advertised as London's biggest second hand record shop.

Hope this helps.

You right, i think it s every second Saturday.

By the way does anyone remember a record shop at Kensigton Market,
down in the basement, a guy with a beard i think run the shop along
with his wife. Does he still own that shop? Someone told me his shop
is now somewhere near Bayswater station. Any clues ?
I bought "damage done" from that guy...
Francis
Overbomber

sunset yellow wrote:By the way does anyone remember a record shop at Kensigton Market,
No refunds without a receipt I'm afraid.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Francis wrote:
sunset yellow wrote:By the way does anyone remember a record shop at Kensigton Market,
No refunds without a receipt I'm afraid.
No refunds needed ;D ;D
Big Si
School Bully

boudicca wrote:

And what's wrong with Fopp? :roll:

You've never been to Avalanche Records near Queen Street Station? :eek: :x
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

They have a Fopp in Cambridge. A great shop.

Back to London, you can go to the other Music and Video exchanges in Notting Hill and I'm sure there are many other shops floating about. I'll have to ask my friend Dave as he is an avid record collector (but not really Sisters stuff) and has been to most of the decent records shops within a 3hr drive.

Leicester also has (or had, been a while since I was up there) a load of decent 2nd hand record shops.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

There used to be an excellent music shop in Norwich called Lizard records. I used to get all my stuff from there when I first got into music. They could get anything! My best purchase from there was Autopsy's "Mental Funeral". I loved going in there and just looking even if I didn't have any money. I think everyone has those kind of memories. :D
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Big Si wrote:
boudicca wrote:

And what's wrong with Fopp? :roll:

You've never been to Avalanche Records near Queen Street Station? :eek: :x
I have been, very long time ago though (I mean, I was 14 or 15). I don't seem to recall it being much good, all dodgy So-Cal punk and nu-metal? Have I missed something? You mean all these years I've been spending s**t shipping already overpriced stuff from CDNow?
smiscandlon
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:all dodgy So-Cal punk and nu-metal?
That's the place! Still one of the better "independent" record stores in Glasgow though.

Lost In Music in De Courcey's Arcade off Byres Road is well worth a look.

23rd Precinct used to have an excellent metal / indie section at the back, but I fear that is long gone...
анархия
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

I've replaced a fair bit of my punk vinyl with CDs bought from Avalanche via their ebay shop. I've ordered as late as 4pm and it's dropped through my letter box the next morning. Can't fault them. :)
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Big Si
School Bully

smiscandlon wrote:
boudicca wrote:all dodgy So-Cal punk and nu-metal?
That's the place! Still one of the better "independent" record stores in Glasgow though.

Lost In Music in De Courcey's Arcade off Byres Road is well worth a look.

23rd Precinct used to have an excellent metal / indie section at the back, but I fear that is long gone...
What he says! :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Big Si
School Bully

JB wrote:I've replaced a fair bit of my punk vinyl with CDs bought from Avalanche via their ebay shop. I've ordered as late as 4pm and it's dropped through my letter box the next morning. Can't fault them. :)
Ebay shop? :eek:

:notworthy:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
boudicca
Sister Midnight

smiscandlon wrote:Lost In Music in De Courcey's Arcade off Byres Road is well worth a look.

Ah, Lost In Music. Bought all me Siouxsie CD's there, and Floodland. :D
Happy days! I haven't been there for ages, but it's champion.
This was the reason why I formed such a low opinion of Avalanche when some spotty ugly boy I used to get the train home from school dragged me in there to buy something by The Offspring. I demand quality records, dammit!

23rd Precinct - now I know that I know where that is, I feel like I've passed it quite literally "hunners" of times ;D , but have totally forgotten where it is. Enlighten me someone?
smiscandlon
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:23rd Precinct - now I know that I know where that is, I feel like I've passed it quite literally "hunners" of times ;D , but have totally forgotten where it is. Enlighten me someone?
Bath Street, I think.

It's one of those 'basement' shops, you need to go downstairs from street level to get to it!
анархия
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Big Si wrote:
JB wrote:I've replaced a fair bit of my punk vinyl with CDs bought from Avalanche via their ebay shop. I've ordered as late as 4pm and it's dropped through my letter box the next morning. Can't fault them. :)
Ebay shop? :eek:

:notworthy:

Just bought a Psychedelic furs compilation from them 8)
boudicca
Sister Midnight

smiscandlon wrote:
boudicca wrote:23rd Precinct - now I know that I know where that is, I feel like I've passed it quite literally "hunners" of times ;D , but have totally forgotten where it is. Enlighten me someone?
Bath Street, I think.

It's one of those 'basement' shops, you need to go downstairs from street level to get to it!
Thank you sir! I can see it in my mind's eye... I was under the impression that all they sold was funk and reggae and stuff for some reason. :?
smiscandlon
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
smiscandlon wrote:
Bath Street, I think.

Thank you sir! I can see it in my mind's eye... I was under the impression that all they sold was funk and reggae and stuff for some reason. :?
Sadly, that may now be the case. I haven't shopped there for a number of years and suspect that the interesting bit of the shop is no longer there. (I first bought Nosferatu's Hellhound EP there back in '91 - goth enough for ya?!)
анархия