Don't Wanna Be A Pinhead No More!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Recently, I awoke to the knowledge that I am guilty of crimes against humanity. I, who have always considered myself to be a kind man, an ethical man, a man of good intentions, saw clearly that I was none of these things. I, like so many others before me, had said nothing, done nothing, indeed more often than not turned a blind eye while social and ecological injustice prevailed.
In a world where the presidency of the most powerful state on earth can be usurped openly and then returned legitimately to a second term in office on the strength of a prefabricated war, I did no more than voice my disgust. After all, America, like Iraq, is a foreign country, and besides, it’s a long way away from my corner of a half-forgotten decaying empire. Why should I care if one sends the children of its most poor disenfranchised citizens to kill and be killed for the sake of profit? I have my Windows™, my iPod, Episode III and Desperate Housewives to look forward to. God forbid I should be denied such necessities of life. Now, it is unfortunate that while making the world safe for peace, liberty and democracy some people have to be denied food, shelter, proper medical attention, the use of their legs, or be faced with burying the mutilated remains of their children. But is that a reason disrupt profits by committing terrorists acts?
In a country where the Prime Minister has been proven to be a liar and a fool and yet can expect to be returned for a third term because he is still the most credible candidate, I will no doubt voice my disgust again. But will I take a stand against the rot? No, because I am a coward and fear I have too much to lose. I will, like so many reading this, recite the mantra of the semi-concerned - I am just one person, what difference can I hope to make? It does not matter if I vote or don’t vote because the end result will be the same. It’s just the way the world is. And when they pass the next Act that gives them the right to tap your telephone, read your e-mails and monitor which books you check out of the library you will remind yourself that you live in a civilised democracy, which is why you don’t need any civil rights. Your government would never harm you.
In a village where property developers rape the land, jamming semi after semi into every available space at the expense of the community, I will say nothing but think much (I think as often as it takes to suppress my conscience). Houses mean money and play parks don’t pay! Besides, the family unit has all but perished as Thatcher once envisaged, so who cares if our children have anything to do? It is not us who are amiss for failing to nurture or discipline our children; it is the government for reclassifying cannabis and that evil Mr Marilyn Manson and his devil’s music! Open fields and mighty oaks do not lift the heart of the Greedy Builder, they enrich his spirit, not. Another zero on the end of his bank account is what he craves, so he may live far from all he has wrought.
In a household where I recycle glass and paper, I will ignore the plastics and other non-biodegradable landfill that stuffs my refuse sacks. The tap may often run, the toilet be flushed once too often, and drafts rattle the sashes as electricity and gas are burned excessively. I can still sleep at night knowing I have tried to do my bit.
I am a good man, a kind man, just like you. Every now and then an article catches my eye and I worry about Global Warming, starving Africans, the rain forests, the dolphins and the whales. Auschwitz was a terrible place, and Baghdad, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip aren’t much fun. But hey, I’m not there and besides it was not I who pulled the trigger. And just because I know the politicians are all liars, cheats and thieves, that’s no reason not to trust them to spend my taxes seeking thrills from unjust wars while lining their pockets.
As I sit and worry about my mortgage, bills and career, little do I dwell upon the starving, the homeless, the disenfranchised, the falsely accused and wrongly imprisoned, so many tortured millions. My daily grind and daily bread is what occupies my thoughts. Oh, it’s a shame about the trees, and I remember when all this was fields, but a handful of loose change for the Tsunami victims makes me feel suddenly much cleaner. But what have I achieved, or really done to ease the pain of my fellow man? As much or as little as most of you, I suspect. I and countless thousands like me are nothing more than hypocrites. And that is why the New World Order remains unchallenged.
Tomorrow, let’s all try and change. Pick one task a week and work with it - find out who your local MP or councillor is and go and give them grief, for surely there is something in your town or village that has irked you through the years? Recycle just a fraction more, or take some time and spend a few pounds on becoming more energy efficient. Your fuel bills will drop, admittedly greenhouse gasses won’t stop, but we can all hope it will mean another six months before Mr Blair backs invading another oil rich “terrorist� state.
Please don’t do as I have done for oh so many years - roll over and fart in bed before getting up and carrying on with solely your affairs!
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
boudicca
Sister Midnight

:roll: You're back then. ;D
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote::roll: You're back then. ;D
No. Merely passing through, probably on the way to losing my deposit.
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

an old picture of toyah wilcox ?
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

nigel d wrote:an old picture of toyah wilcox ?
Yes.
nigel d

reminds me of the "ieyah" era.
got the 12" somewhere
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Yeah, I'd say that's about right.

There's quite a lot of stuff re-issued on CD, and you can always pick up
original vinyl quite cheap on ebay.

I was a huge fan back when I was a sprog, I've kinda started to rediscover her. The early material (cliche, I know!) stands up remarkably
well. Actually, she's a very good lyricist, too.

Bought some Adam & The Ants recently as well.
Must get a bit of Bau Haus on CD as well.
This year, ratehr than checking out what NME's touting I think I shall just buy back catalogue material.
nigel d

i lost interest when she went poppy.and now she does tellytubbies and brum?????
bauhaus , got there singles tape may have kings of the wild frontier on vinyl somewhere and a couple of singles
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Nice to see a response to the original message then..

Makes me wonder if we will still be discussing these finer points
of b sides amid the toxic slime surrounded by 3 headed babies :twisted:

Good on you Erudite I say for what it is worth...
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I saw Toyah four or five years ago, standing with my friends at the back door of our school, which was where the geeks, wierdos and other people in danger of being beaten up congregated at lunchtime. Yeah I was a cool kid. They were building a new maths department across the road, and she was standing in the grounds, leaning against a Vauxhall, reading some disgraceful tabloid rag or other.

We were all pretty certain it was her, and I know she's gone down in the world, but we fell short of figuring out what the hell she was doing there. The World Famous Glasgow School of Art was right next door to us, so that's the only reason I can think of. Or maybe she got there through some kind of portal from Tellytubby-land. :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Zuma wrote:Nice to see a response to the original message then..

Makes me wonder if we will still be discussing these finer points
of b sides amid the toxic slime surrounded by 3 headed babies :twisted:

Good on you Erudite I say for what it is worth...
I was thinking the same.

Not intended to belittle you at all, but isn't the original post the same "middle class guilt" we all (from time to time) suffer? As you so rightly say, I guess the solution is to (try to) make a difference, in however small a way.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Late response is better than no response...

The hardest part is knowing how to make that difference.

Chucking slurry at the Kilroy Silk's of this world is all very amusing but hardly constructive.

Me - I'm going to try and get a seat on Aberdeenshire Council (as if!)
If I get there by some miracle, you know it won't last.

"Rather than granting planning permission for forty houses starting at
£150K, make them build thirty, plus a skate park. Five of those houses
must be for rent rather than sale, another five should be flatted or priced
to suit first/single buyers."

The bastards will string me up!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:notworthy: Democracy in action. Good luck, and an outstanding idea IMO.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Debaser
Overbomber

Erudite wrote:
Bought some Adam & The Ants recently as well.
Never a bad thing...
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Debaser
Overbomber

It's not that I don't want to reply to the original post.....but it's just too hard, as you say 'middle class guilt'

I agree in part to may ideals but still insist upon enjoying many 'abhorrant' activities. How can I make a difference when there are so many out there (not here but 'out there' who would find nothing but pleasure in ripping apart my arguements with 'But how can you say that, you do this?'

I try, but am not infallible ;(
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else