The Pope

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Is apparently even closer to death than his recent public appearances might suggest.

Any thoughts? Anyone care?
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Thea
Overbomber

I just keep him off the moon....
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I didn't think he'd make it to 2000 and I was wrong. :|

He's definitely left a legacy; canonised more saints than all the other popes put together IIRC?

There's that list isn't there; some mad prophet back in the 12th century or something made a big list with a choice epithet for each future pope (obviously some of the epithets have to be "stretched" to make them fit). But the next is the last in the list...

Oh here he is. St. Malachy and there are two more after JPII. Then the end of the world ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ruffers
Overbomber

Immediate response is "How can they tell?"

Personally I don't care, but like it or not the role does have an incredible impact on the world. For instance if a (new?) pope said OK, you can use condoms to prevent HIV transmission then it could make a real difference to the spread of AIDS in vast areas of the planet.

Anyone know who's favourite for the job next, and if he's remotely prgressive?
Chucking another log on
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

If he's a senior vatican cardinal, it's hard to imagine him being progressive.

Keep in mind that the vatican has been effectively run by an invisible cabal during JPII's on-going illness (which seems to have lasted for as long as I can remember). It's fair to assume they will have a major role in steering the conclave so the next Pope will be in their image.
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well Malachy's prophecy (see above) has the next Pope as “De Gloria Olivae� (From the Glory of the Olive) so maybe Cardinal Martini?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Thea
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Well Malachy's prophecy (see above) has the next Pope as “De Gloria Olivae� (From the Glory of the Olive) so maybe Cardinal Martini?
:lol: :lol: :notworthy:
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Well Malachy's prophecy (see above) has the next Pope as “De Gloria Olivae” (From the Glory of the Olive) so maybe Cardinal Martini?
It'll be some oily type. But at least know he'll be extra virgin.

/gets coat/
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

They'll have to feed him more babies. They stopped feeding babies to the Queen Mother and look what happened.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Francis
Overbomber

ruffers wrote:For instance if a (new?) pope said OK, you can use condoms to prevent HIV transmission then it could make a real difference to the spread of AIDS in vast areas of the planet.
If you're thinking of Africa, think again. I really don't think it's that simple.
As I understand it there's a deep-bred reluctance to use condoms, preferring anal sex as a form of contraception. Oh yes, and I'm told there's a wide-held belief that having unprotected sex with a virgin will cure a man of aids/ HIV. :roll:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

He's as much use as the fecking Royal family!!
Only a paand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Mrs RicheyJames wrote:He's as much use as the fecking Royal family!!
actually he's more - people pay attention to what "he" says :urff:

scary :eek:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Indeed.
Only a paand.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Francis wrote:If you're thinking of Africa, think again. I really don't think it's that simple.
As I understand it there's a deep-bred reluctance to use condoms, preferring anal sex as a form of contraception. Oh yes, and I'm told there's a wide-held belief that having unprotected sex with a virgin will cure a man of aids/ HIV. :roll:
Yup, we now have campaigns to educate people about condoms, but they're either to subtle on late night TV.

That part about sex with a virgin is a wide spread belief, which may go some way to explain so of the terrible rape statistics here :x
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It would need not just a decree saying "you're okay to use condoms now", but one saying "you must use condoms now", which would IMO be anathema to large sections of the Catholic Church as a whole. Just look at the radical offshoots that still use Latin Mass and condemn the Second Vatican Council (?) as a liberalising influence.
—Bertrand Russell
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

As well as curbing the spread of HIV, encouraging (or even tolerating) contraception might help ease the problems caused by population explosion.

But to really bring that under control you need better health care so people believe that if they have two kids, two will survive. Otherwise families will not unreasonably go for larger numbers of offspring in the hope of seeing some of them get through to adulthood.

Can't see the church getting too enthusiastic about involving itself in non-denomonational healthcare for the third world, even though it clearly _should_ be.
hallucienate
Overbomber

andymackem wrote:Can't see the church getting too enthusiastic about involving itself in non-denomonational healthcare for the third world, even though it clearly _should_ be.
See as most of North Africa is Islamic I can't seem running there either :evil:
rian
Slight Overbomber

I don't care at all about that old man.

Not at all....
I think someone set my soul alight
ruffers
Overbomber

Africa has it's own issues (which the church as the man said could/should be addressing), but there's problems elsewhere as well. Obvious, I know.

The world's largest Catholic country? Brazil. Efforts to distribute condoms there are obstructed by the Bishops.

see here (first google match btw) http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/brazil/condoms.htm

This is interesting as well -

http://www.cathnews.com/news/501/122.php
Chucking another log on
Dan
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Oh here he is. St. Malachy and there are two more after JPII. Then the end of the world ;D
I've heard of that list before. Not the end of the world, only the end of the catholic church. When that happens maybe other religions will follow suit and f*ck off too, and the world will be a better place.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dan wrote:Not the end of the world, only the end of the catholic church.
I think for a 12th century bishop, it would have amounted to much the same thing ;)
Dan wrote:When that happens maybe other religions will follow suit and f*ck off too, and the world will be a better place.
Well, no argument from me on that score!
—Bertrand Russell
The Pope
Amphetamine Filth

I am come! and it's about time.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: to me minions.

ok, that was kind of bad, but he has to die sooner or later and i think a church ruled by me would rock. :innocent:
Marc
Road Kill

nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Words cannot express my feelings for the pope. Which is probably a good thing, because none of them would be good.
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Dan wrote:
markfiend wrote:Oh here he is. St. Malachy and there are two more after JPII. Then the end of the world ;D
I've heard of that list before. Not the end of the world, only the end of the catholic church. When that happens maybe other religions will follow suit and f*ck off too, and the world will be a better place.
Amen.