thunderbird - moving email folders?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

another email question :D

some time ago i switched email software from outlook express to thunderbird

i use a seperate harddrive for documents and email storage, and OE was set up to loook there.

however, during the import process thunderbird copied all the mail to its own folder (i assume)

i never got around to moving this folder back over to my seperate drive.

can anyone give me any quick pointers (or an faq link?) on how to move the "mail store" in thunderbird?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
hallucienate
Overbomber

Sorry, although I do use Thunderbird at home I have an IMAP server setup and all my mail clients connect to that :D

By using IMAP and dynamic DNS I'm able to access my all my home mail (going back to 97 or so) from work and visa-versa. Useful for looking up old trades and old Dominion posts etc.
hallucienate
Overbomber

but seeing as I'm a geek and I really should know these things: clicky

Pretty simple really :D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

technical hitch - i cant see that site from work (firewall blocks it!) and my home pc is unable access the internet at the mo (hence the need to move my mesage store... i need to reinstall windows xp. curse that bloody service pack 2!!!)

can someone copy & paste the gist of it here?
They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards you hear satanic messages. That's nothing, because if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
:evil:
James Blast
Banned

I find drinking Thunderbird makes a lot more than folders move :urff:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
hallucienate
Overbomber

Thunderbird : FAQs : Changing Mail Storage Location
From MozillaZine Knowledge Base
By default, your mail is stored in your profile folder, along with your address books and settings. If you want to move your mail (but not the entire contents of the profile folder) to a different location, follow the steps below.

For accounts using the global Inbox (Local Folders)
1. Create a folder in the new location where you would like to store your mail.

2. Go to your existing profile folder and copy your mail files over to the new location. By default accounts using the global Inbox have their messages stored in Local Folders, which is located in the Mail folder in your profile folder. Copy the entire contents of Local Folders, including all subfolders, over to the new location.

3. Start Thunderbird and go Tools > Account Settings and then click on Local Folders in the left pane (you may need to scroll down to see it). Where it says "Local directory", enter the path to the new location of your mail.

Note: there is a bug in Thunderbird version 0.8 which prevents the directory setting for Local Folders from being changed in this manner. This bug has apprently been fixed and should not affect subsequent versions.
You will need to restart Thunderbird to see the changes. Once you're certain that Thunderbird recognizes the new location of your mail, you can go back and delete the mail files from your profile folder.

For accounts not using the global Inbox
1. Create a folder in the new location where you would like to store your mail.

2. Go to your existing profile folder and copy your mail files over to the new location. For each account you want to move: find that account's folder in the Mail folder (POP3 accounts) or the ImapMail folder (IMAP accounts) and copy its entire contents, including all of its subfolders, over to the new location.

3. Start Thunderbird and go Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings. Where it says "Local directory", enter the path to the new location of your mail.

4. If you have more than one mail account, repeat step 3 for each account whose mail you moved in steps 1-2.

You will need to restart Thunderbird to see the changes. Once you're certain that Thunderbird recognizes the new location of your mail, you can go back and delete the mail files from your profile folder.
enjoy the reinstall :roll:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:(
Francis
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I find drinking Thunderbird makes a lot more than folders move :urff:
Is that why this link disnae werk pal?
James Blast wrote:The Big Men
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
James Blast
Banned

works fur me....

calls Francis, Specky, then runs away ---------------->
well waddles off shouting "Medic! Medic!"
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Francis
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:works fur me....
Says I'm not logged in. Something's mysteriously logging me out. Oh no! They're on to me!

James Blast wrote:calls Francis, Specky, then runs away ---------------->
well waddles off shouting "Medic! Medic!"
Shouldn't that be "Taxi! Taxi!" :wink:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
James Blast
Banned

not in Leeds Francis :lol:
~ Peter Steele