Please help - my pc is squelching

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

It sounds like it's gonna power down every so often. And it's started to hang. I suspect it's the power box but if anyone else has had experience with this 'squelch' noise I would appreciate their help!
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Just had to send my PC to the scrapheap, just to share, if you get read/write errors it could be the hard drive that is fading out...
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Squelching? :eek: You spilt something on it? :lol:

Probably a fan dying, not too worrying unless it's the one on top of your processor. You had the lid off to see?
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Zuma wrote:Just had to send my PC to the scrapheap, just to share, if you get read/write errors it could be the hard drive that is fading out...
They don't build things to last now do they. Shame PC's weren't invented in the 40's.

No read write errors, but occassional physical dumping of the memory. Sounds painful, but no mess so far.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

DerekR wrote:Squelching? :eek: You spilt something on it? :lol:

Probably a fan dying, not too worrying unless it's the one on top of your processor. You had the lid off to see?
The lid is off now and am waiting for squelch. The processor fan is working as have just grazed finger on it. The fans on the side and in the power box are working at the moment as well.

PC casualty - live on the web! And no DerekR - it's not pissed.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Almiche V wrote:
DerekR wrote:Squelching? :eek: You spilt something on it? :lol:

The lid is off now and am waiting for squelch. The processor fan is working as have just grazed finger on it. The fans on the side and in the power box are working at the moment as well.

PC casualty - live on the web! And no DerekR - it's not pissed.
Ok, now try hitting it real hard with a large, blunt object. What does it do?

(this is like that Virtual Bartender thingy and the subservient chicken, but even better ;D )

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

If nothing else,back up all data now!

Just lost as months worth of e-mail due to my machine falling
over.

Mind you it is a nice excuse not to get back to some folks :twisted:

Good luck!

Z
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Zuma wrote:If nothing else,back up all data now!

Just lost as months worth of e-mail due to my machine falling
over.

Mind you it is a nice excuse not to get back to some folks :twisted:

Good luck!

Z
Cheers Z. I gats ma CD'z out now.
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

you know it makes sense :twisted:

Wish I had :?
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

can someone help me? everytime i try to read a pdf file, windows installer tries to install journal viewer, which it then can't find.

i've reinstalled acrobat, so it ain't that. am very confused.

Its been like that since i had a trojan virus.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
DerekR
Doobie Brother

emilystrange wrote:can someone help me? everytime i try to read a pdf file, windows installer tries to install journal viewer, which it then can't find.

If you're using XP right click on the pdf file and select 'open with', and then 'choose program'. Select acrobat reader from the list of programs and tick the box 'always use the selected program to open this type of file'.

That should fix it Ems.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

ok, ta...
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Thinking about buying a pc from DELL.Have they got a good reputation?

I find printers temprimental.What's the best make?

Fanks.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

elamanamou wrote:Thinking about buying a pc from DELL.Have they got a good reputation?
I wouldn't really know, I've never bought a 'name brand', I've always built my own PCs. I know Dell used to have a good name but that was years ago.
elamanamou wrote:I find printers temprimental.What's the best make?
Fanks.
I recently got a Canon Pixma which cannot be faulted. Prints straight onto DVDRs too!...and it's wireless....and black...and shiny :lol:

More info here
rian
Slight Overbomber

elamanamou wrote:Thinking about buying a pc from DELL.Have they got a good reputation?

Fanks.
Dell are ok, as long as you don't buy the cheeper ones
I think someone set my soul alight
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Fanks.
I use a DELL inspiron 5000.

I will never buy another one except a MAC maybe ;-)

I use this one exclusively for audio recording, and it is just awesome!

Then again, 3.2 processor, Pentium 4 Intel 915 chipset, 1 GB memory, 2x 160 GB SATA Harddisks... It HAS to work, innit ;D

The advantage brand name or clone is this: most of the time (mind ye! :lol: ) the brand ones are better 'tuned', they use a motherboard and a chipset that work together properly, for instance. Clones often use a lot of different cheaper brands that tend to collide with each other, thus failing to make a flawless system. I had constant crashes with my former PC which was a clone. This DELL is twice as fast, but ten times as reliable. And I use Windows XP, which is also a hundred times more stable on the DELL than on the clone...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

We use Dell on our office networks.

The individual PCs are fine. The system which links them all together is a fiasco ... but then you look at our IT department and all becomes clear.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

DerekR wrote:
emilystrange wrote:can someone help me? everytime i try to read a pdf file, windows installer tries to install journal viewer, which it then can't find.

If you're using XP right click on the pdf file and select 'open with', and then 'choose program'. Select acrobat reader from the list of programs and tick the box 'always use the selected program to open this type of file'.

That should fix it Ems.
i don't have an 'open with' option when i right click on pdf link or logo
hallucienate
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:
DerekR wrote:

That should fix it Ems.
i don't have an 'open with' option when i right click on pdf link or logo
hold down shift and right click.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

emilystrange wrote:i don't have an 'open with' option when i right click on pdf link or logo
Hmm, that's strange. Ah wait a minute, are you clicking on pdf links in Internet Explorer? I was meaning click on the pdf file itself (in windows explorer). You might have to save the file first if it's on a web page.

However, try this instead:

In 'my computer' (or windows explorer), click on the menu item 'tools' then 'folder options'. This will open a new window. Click on the 'file types' tab, scroll (a long way) down the list and see what it says about PDF files. It should say 'Adobe Acrobat Document'. If not, click on it and then click the 'change' button, which should take you to the page where you select the program you wish to use, as before.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i trie dthe latter but all was as it should be.
i usually go through msn explorer.. does that make a difference?