PC/DVD re-writing advice

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I've finally recieved my new laptop at work, a Dell latitude 100L. It was supposed to have a dvd re-writer, but has been delivered with just a cd re-writer & a dvd player. :evil:
After a bit of (light) arguing with the IT department, I'm going to have to make do with this one.

With my old (very old!) laptop I had an external (USB?) caddy type thing which housed a cd re-writer. Can I buy a dvd re-writer & put it in the same external caddy? (Obviously after removing the cd-re-writer).

If I can do the above, is there any particular specfication/make that I should go for.

This query may be painfully simple for many ofyou, but I really am a begginer with all this type of thing. :oops:
Give me one good reason
hallucienate
Overbomber

It depends on if your current external bay is USB2 or USB1.1. If its USB1.1 it'll probably be slow to handle writing DVDs gracefully (if at all). It'd probably be best just get a complete external DVD writer unit.

I'll leave the brand names and stuff to someone else. I'm too far away from your market to comment properly on that.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

hallucienate wrote: I'm too far away ...
Mentally? Yes, so quit whilst you're ahead. :wink:

And sorry, GIRAR is rocking the walls and suprise, suprise I do actually like it. :innocent:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Loki wrote:And sorry, GIRAR is rocking the walls and suprise, suprise I do actually like it. :innocent:
You've got kids, so maybe you're used to whining. I don't and I'm not. :roll: (pick a meaning)
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

hallucienate wrote:It depends on if your current external bay is USB2 or USB1.1. If its USB1.1 it'll probably be slow to handle writing DVDs gracefully (if at all). It'd probably be best just get a complete external DVD writer unit.

I'll leave the brand names and stuff to someone else. I'm too far away from your market to comment properly on that.
Cheers.

I will check my existing USB for compatibility
Give me one good reason
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
Rivers
Amphetamine Filth

I have a laptop with cd-rewriter/dvd player and wanted a dvd re-writer for video editing purposes. I bought an external USB 2 version by Emprex for £80 from PC World. It's 16x, dual layer burner and its been great. It has some excellent software with it too. I recommend.
And we are nothing but experience in the eyes of nature,
And we will live forever in the eyes of nature.