Out of Patience

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Marsden Fields
Road Kill

I don't know, maybe there's something particularly benevolent or knowledgeable in my face, but whatever it is, it's made me a beacon for the technologically retarded. I should mention here that I'm not IT and my job description is in no way IT related. My only qualifications in that regard are a slighty above-average working knowledge, the belief that use of one platform does not exclude familiarity with any other, and a willingness to figure it out my damn self.

So my office has just upgraded to OSX. Most of the younger workers are adpating nicely, and I've gotten only a few questions from them about the mail program (which I thought was lame till Markfiend pointed out the "bounce" feature--I now have hours of fun bouncing my co-workers' mail, much to their confusion and my endless delight).

The older kids, as well as the hardcore PC users, are struggling, and the upgrade has opened me up to a litany of stupid queries, the worst of which I was subjected to earlier today. The woman barged into my office and demanded:

"Do you know what I'm doing wrong? My Outlook won't open."

Erm, no. No I don't, because I don't know what you're doing at all.

I beg of you, if this sounds familiar, leave your aggrieved co-worker alone and call IT first.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Marsden Fields wrote:and a willingness to figure it out my damn self.
Bingo!
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
James Blast
Banned

I know how to get Outlook to work on a Mac with a peecee server :D, ask me
I do, honest
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

our IT helpdesk is useless, they just tell you to turn the thing off and start again :eek:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:I know how to get Outlook to work on a Mac with a peecee server :D, ask me
I do, honest
Please, sit on your bottom, quietly, and put your hand up. I won't listen to anyone who calls out.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
James Blast
Banned

like this Image Miss?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

That's it. Thank you, James. What would you like to tell the class?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

MIIIIISSSSS, d00mw0lf's eating sweets!

On topic, I must sympathise with Marsden's problems. Basic IT ignorance is a classical feature these days; have pity for those of us who worked in companies with NO IT support - I couldn't even fob them off. :(
James Blast
Banned

well Miss,
Using Outlook 2001 on a G5 running 10.3.3 on a non XP network
It doesn't work!

A fix/work around was discovered, in a shabby Local Government organisation, (that treats its staff like $hit) north of the border.

So, skipping the detail at how this fix was arrived at...

Outlook 2001 needs to run on a partiton on the above config.
Without wiping your HD and repartitioning, make a .dmg on the desktop. Copy your Outlook folder into it, and.... Bingo!
Alles Klar.

thank you 8)
Last edited by James Blast on 04 Apr 2005, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
~ Peter Steele
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

tim, are you telling tales again? and, miss w0lf, if i catch you, those sweets will be confiscated, you know that sweets aren't allowed in school.
Thea
Overbomber

:eek:!
He framed me he did!
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

you two can slug it out in the playground where the dinnerladies can deal with it.
James, if you need to go, please do.
Thea
Overbomber

/me nicks a metrestick and waits for Sinister by the schoolgate
BRING IT ON!
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Christ, I'm getting horrible flashbacks to My First Nosebleed. Some nine-year-old lass, harsh words, hair pulling, and suddenly a ruler and sweet, deep, unconsciousness. :lol:
Marsden Fields
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:well Miss,
Using Outlook 2001 on a G5 running 10.3.3 on a non XP network
It doesn't work!

A fix/work around was discovered, in a shabby Local Government organisation, (that treats its staff like $hit) north of the border.

So, skipping the detail at how this fix was arrived at...

Outlook 2001 needs to run on a partiton on the above config.
Without wiping your HD and repartitioning, make a .dmg on the desktop. Copy your Outlook folder into it, and.... Bingo!
Alles Klar.

thank you 8)
Whoa there boy, this problem wasn't that complicated. This chick's issue was more of the "I clicked the icon and it didn't work" variety. It could be anything. Anything. This is brought to you by the "I'm a jellyfish; do for me" school of learning.
James Blast
Banned

well at least I offered a solution, Ya Fud!
~ Peter Steele
Marsden Fields
Road Kill

Quite right, and thank you for your assistance.

Punk
James Blast
Banned

Jobby Bum!
~ Peter Steele
Andy TG
Overbomber

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:our IT helpdesk is useless, they just tell you to turn the thing off and start again :eek:
Works for me ;-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Thea
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:Christ, I'm getting horrible flashbacks to My First Nosebleed. Some nine-year-old lass, harsh words, hair pulling, and suddenly a ruler and sweet, deep, unconsciousness. :lol:
and that was just last week! 8)
Told you I'd get my own back....
Marsden Fields
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:Jobby Bum!
No one insults my personal hygiene and gets away with it.

I've thrown down. That's keyboards at dawn that is, ya knob jockey.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

MR FIELDS!!! i suggest you go and stand in the corner and consider your attitude. Mr Blast, i told you to go, if you had to.
rian
Slight Overbomber

I AM IT-SUPPORT

:twisted:
I think someone set my soul alight
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

precisely :lol: :lol: :lol: :innocent: :kiss:
Marsden Fields
Road Kill

I've considered my attitude, and I think it is commensurate with his unintelligible insults.

Anyway, he started it.