Taping this summers' gigs

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

A friend of mine came to ask me if I'd like to tape the Sisters this summer, wich I'd basically like to do, but some questions came to me:

How do you normally do this, is there like one very experienced person who takes care of this normally, and upon which we all trust so that there'll be only one recording, or is it much more so that as many as possible people go and record the gigs and you pick out the best recordings to save for eternity afterwards...

The second thing was, if there's many guys among us taping it, what's the material you'd advise to use, for having the best quality etcetera...

Thanks!
christophe
Overbomber

I don't know Nothing About Taping gig... You arn't aloud to do so you know !
butt we have some experience in live recordings and I must say the devices are very expencive! and not very easy to use. :( (the Bass seems to make some trouble from now and then)
a friend of mine knows all about it, he will be in Lokeren so maybe you could seak to him Before or After the Gig...... (not during the show)
Another Shade of You.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

christophe wrote:I don't know Nothing About Taping gig... You arn't aloud to do so you know !
butt we have some experience in live recordings and I must say the devices are very expencive! and not very easy to use. :( (the Bass seems to make some trouble from now and then)
a friend of mine knows all about it, he will be in Lokeren so maybe you could seak to him Before or After the Gig...... (not during the show)
Not allowed to do so :eek: , you're kidding me :innocent:

Anyway, if it's that pricy to get decent equipment, my good friend will be the one getting it, not me, lol 8)
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

at least two people can usually be relied upon,

i have a 'complete' list of 2003 gigs and sources, and it varied between only one source and six or seven versions, depending on location, security etc..

for the good versions, hats off to the people prepared to stand still at the back or even better put in hours of preparation :notworthy: :D :notworthy: :D :notworthy:
Goths have feelings too
Peter KJ
Amphetamine Filth

Some years ago I wanted to tape some gigs but after searching for the material, it was all to expencive if you want to make a good recording. The best thing is a portable DAT recorder and some good small mics.

You can read everything about taping and how to do it on http://www.core-sound.com/ where you also can buy the material.

I know there is someone in Holland who tapes a lot of Sisters gigs so he will probably also tape Tilburg and Lokeren.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

A good cheap rig is an MD recorder and a pair of
binaural mics
which can be clipped to your jacket or fixed onto a pair of shades.
The Scene won't save you...
christophe
Overbomber

Peter KJ wrote:Some years ago I wanted to tape some gigs but after searching for the material, it was all to expencive if you want to make a good recording. The best thing is a portable DAT recorder and some good small mics.
you know the price of a DAT recorder... :eek: it surely is not for the general audience.
the best recrording system I'm aware of is a minidiskrecorder. but even that is pretty pricey
Another Shade of You.
Dan
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:for the good versions, hats off to the people prepared to stand still at the back
It doesn't matter where you stand. If it sounds good to your ears it's got the potential to sound (depending on a good mic) equally as good on the recording. Leeds 2003 sounded really s**t to me, so it's not surprising my recording was just as bad (but it was a more or less faithful representation of the gig as I experienced it). There's better recordings of Leeds so I must've been stood in an acoustically dead spot.
Indeed some of my recordings in the past have been made when I was jumping around near the front - luckily this didn't affect the recordings too much except where the buttons got bashed - for that one I kept my finger firmly pressed on the record button.
Obviousman wrote:Not allowed to do so, you're kidding me
Yes, almost all gigs say on the tickets that you aren't allowed to record or film them, that's why people have to sneak the recording equipment in. In 20 years I've only failed to get my tape recorder into a gig twice. Once at Birmingham NEC when I forgot to hide it at all, and once in Hamburg where the search was way too thorough.

As for what equipment you need. Any small recording device will do. Cassette, minidisc, dat, there's even some digital cameras that record straight to mp3 (although this will annoy the lossless brigade, but f**k them). Last year a friend in America recorded part of an open air gig on a digital camera that records mp3 using its built-in mic, and it was the best audience-recorded bootleg I've ever heard.
Of course you could have the most expensive recording device in the world, but your recording will be useless if your mic is no good. If you don't have automatic recording level then make sure your levels aren't set too high or you'll get distortion and that's almost impossible to fix. If in doubt test it out at home by blasting out some music on your hi-fi and record a bit, or go to a few local gigs and test it there before recording an "important" one. Don't stand right up against the speakers or you'll get distortion, although it's possible there's a type of mic for which this could be a benefit.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Dan wrote:Yes, almost all gigs say on the tickets that you aren't allowed to record or film them, that's why people have to sneak the recording equipment in. In 20 years I've only failed to get my tape recorder into a gig twice. Once at Birmingham NEC when I forgot to hide it at all, and once in Hamburg where the search was way too thorough.
Yes, I was aware of that, just was joking about a bit :wink:
As for the rest, the tips all of you gave were very good up till now, and made me think it over :D
So I guess, if my pal doesn't supply me with some material, I won't be recording, and just waiting for recordings from other people :P Don't know if I want to be standing in the back and all that etcetera too, so we'll see[/url]
Dan
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Don't know if I want to be standing in the back
You don't need to stand at the back. Stand where you like.
christophe
Overbomber

Dan wrote:
only difference is
in front you got screaming fans and at back you got drunk screaming fans :wink:
Another Shade of You.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

christophe wrote:
Dan wrote:
only difference is
in front you got screaming fans and at back you got drunk screaming fans :wink:
Ah, yes indeed :lol:
Anyway, the point I tried to make was about the trouble you'd have to go through, and all that, so I did get the point about the sound being the most important thing, rather than position :wink: , so :D
DaveTheRave
Road Kill

Or slip the sound guys some dollar and get a sound board recording
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

SHARP minidisc recorder £100 - £200 (sony don't have the ability to change recording level while recording).
Sony PRO mic. £100

Stand around 15 ft from the speaker. Read the MD instruction book beforehand & make sure your recording levels are right. Near the speaker you get the clearest sound - at the back the sound is distant & it picks up much much more audience noise.

Voila !!!!!!
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

If you want to, you can lend my truck for a day or two...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:If you want to, you can lend my truck for a day or two...

IZ.
Sure looks nice and portable, isn't it :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Dan wrote:
you always take me so literally :roll:

actually best to stand in the mosh on the front row, right under the speaker, and don't forget to keep the mic attached to a coat or something that gets knocked around alot. there is that better :lol: :lol: :lol:
Goths have feelings too
Dan
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:and don't forget to keep the mic attached to a coat or something that gets knocked around alot. there is that better :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I had a seperate mic I had the recorder clipped onto my belt with the mic wire running down the inside of my sleeve and held the mic in my hand. Sadly water got into the mic at Loreley and it didn't work after that and I had to go back to using a different recorder.
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

PZM Mics are best Ihear.... :twisted:
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Obviousman wrote:

IZ.
Just drive it in the backstage area and turn on the console.

The people there would not even DARE to ask questions when you arrive with a truckload of THIS.

"You are with the crew, sir?"

"No, moron, I'm an illegal bootlegger with a truckload full of Otari consoles, Neve technology and Focusrite eq's."

"Haha. How stupid of me, really, ride on sir..."

"Yeah, rite on, sir"

:innocent:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Obviousman wrote:

IZ.
Just drive it in the backstage area and turn on the console.

The people there would not even DARE to ask questions when you arrive with a truckload of THIS.

"You are with the crew, sir?"

"No, moron, I'm an illegal bootlegger with a truckload full of Otari consoles, Neve technology and Focusrite eq's."

"Haha. How stupid of me, really, ride on sir..."

"Yeah, rite on, sir"

:innocent:

IZ.
Now that's what I call a nice and elaborated plan :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I'd say let's give it a go :lol: :lol: :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dan wrote:...some digital cameras that record straight to mp3 (although this will annoy the lossless brigade, but f**k them). Last year a friend in America recorded part of an open air gig on a digital camera that records mp3 using its built-in mic, and it was the best audience-recorded bootleg I've ever heard...
Hmmm... I've never tried taping a gig before; my camera records to mp3; I might give it a go...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

It's amazing how much one can learn in this forum...:-)

But there's one question left:

Which is the best SHARP minidisc recorder at the moment? Note: The most important thing is that the record level buttons are easy to be found (bet on the front)...
Cheers! :notworthy:
You can't fix stupid.
christophe
Overbomber

plannes have changed a bit
I'm going to both lokeren as Tilburg but we chose the indoor gig to try the recorder. (tillburg)

the first test are quite promecing but we have some trouble to change the OMG file into a WAV or MP3 file....
Another Shade of You.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Having experimented with my digital camera at Bloc Party, I find it has recorded a 8-bit 8kHz mono wav file.

Unfortunately there's some clipping of the audio peaks. Any kind souls who fancy playing with the file let me know; I'm not 100% sure how to get the best out of it.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell